Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2021 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

So you wouldn't dismiss Mayo, yet Dublin and Kerry need to improve quite a bit Even though extra time was required to beat both of them in the semis? Makes no sense.

Also does the fact that Dublin are perennial winners (Kerry too, though not recently) and Mayo are perennial losers not have any bearing on your opinion?

Both Dublin and Kerry will win again before Mayo do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Wonder how the curse treats non-playing subs. Does it ignore them as not relevant.

Feckin curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭Jizique

Penalty would not have been awarded as Cillian would have scored the free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The same Cillian O Connor that's been involved in all Mayo's recent final losses, he has also bottled many of those finals, but, sure if you need to believe Cillian O Connor would have made a big difference to console yourselves so be it. Reality is Tyrone were much the better team, more composed and would have won even if Mayo had Cillian O Connor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,194 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Yday was the worst opposite Mayo has faced in the final since as far back as I remember. Had Cillian been fit this season they wuda beaten Tyrone easily, by at least 8pts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I actually think underestimate the amount of change Dublin will need over next few years. Next year we will be back to the S8. No team will fear Dublin. 2020+2021 suited an older Dublin team no S8 no back door. Straight run out of Leinster and a semi-final place. Maybe they will unearth 4+5 players this league season. However they have too many old players at present and too many just beyond peak football age 27/28.

Tyrone are not a young team by any means. How will a winter of celebration treat them. However they will find it easier to transition 2-3 players into there system. Kerry have really only Moran that is seriously too old that is on the tam. Walsh and Sherlock on the panel. O'Brien, Murphy and Geany could still do a job off the bench for 1-2 years. Keane I think was trying to reward a few player this year by allowing them to win medals on the pitch( Murphy and Moran mainly but also Ryan and maybe) and was carrying a few passengers on the bench as well. Kerry need a CB, to put a defensive system in place and a few workhorses as opposed to technically gifted players

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

@Man Vs ManUre

Hahahahha please give over. You were calling Mayo by 6 the other night and telling me to “wait to we see Sunday”. What do you have to say today?

enjoy your humble pie!!!

up Tyrone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Extra time counts and both teams won on merit do believe Dublin have to improve especially the management next year would never dismiss Kerry but for me Mayo still have a chance even though yesterday was poor as with respect to Tyrone they were not that good so don't see them running up a sequence but sure you never know only my opinion .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I have to disagree, history tell us that Mayo could face Kilkenny footballers in a final and they would bottle it.

It was really interest that Mayo learned nothing from the Kerry Tyrone match. They performed very poorly yesterday. No one incident can be picked out. Too many of there players underperformed.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

You’d have to laugh at Mayo fans saying they’d of won of Cillian O Connor playing , the same player who must of have lost 5/6 finals at this rate. They’re a county of perennial losers and I can’t see that ever changing considering this is their 3rd or 4th different team now that has choked finals.

I think Mayo would beat the Kilkenny footballers!! In fact, if you had a 2 gamer where 1st is Mayo hurlers vs KK hurlers, and 2nd is Mayo footballers vs KK footballers, believe you me the aggregate score would be a Mayo win.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

All that mayo have succeeded in doing this year is bringing in a few new you g players and getting them accustomed to losing on the big day.

Next year Dublin wont make the same mistakes, kerry will have a new manager and that will make a huge difference and Tyrone will make improvements on what they already have.

I dont think mayo will even make the final for the next few years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,574 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think the point is he has had a shite game in every single one of the 7 All-Ireland finals that he has played in.

He lost his discipline again yesterday, another normal outcome from him, as did Diarmuid O'Connor and Matthew Ruane. There is no belief within the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Speak Now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I think yesterday put to bed the idea that Mayo were just unfortunate to have their purple patch at the same that the greatest team to ever play the game. Pervasive lack of the right stuff in finals that seems to pass onto new players. You'd feel sorry for the supporters but they seem to be a part of generating a self perpetuating dose of the yips.

Post edited by Dyr on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

As a Mayo fan I've always argued that we were unfortunately meeting Dublin or Kerry (2004, 2006) in their pomp.

But last night has made me reevaluate that.

There is an inability to seal the deal.

Why, I've no feckin idea.

I'm begging to believe in the curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

If Cillian O Connor was playing for Mayo hurlers would they beat Kilkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Avon8

Not really on board with the 'Mayo Bottling' narrative. Realistically they're the 5th or 6th best team in Ireland. They won a wretched horrible semi final where Dublin impolded. Even allowing for conditions it was an error strewn farce of a game. Tyrone had their own stroke of luck with the penalty and sending off against Donegal but to be fair have come trump's when games have been tight this year and play an ok style. Kerry must be absolutely kicking themselves with how wasteful they were in the semi. They'd have won yesterday pulling up

• Advertisement

It would've been ludicrous if Mayo won04 or 06. They were pox lucky to beat Fermanagh in a semi final replay in 04 even

2013 was the best iteration of Mayo imo but Dublin were also very good that year. 2016 Dublin were very off colour and the first day was probably the one that stands out that they should've got over the line.

Never once ever in modern history have Mayo been rated the best team in Ireland though. If they played Kerry next week Kerry would be 4/9 favs. It always feels with Mayo like they're trying to pluck one against the odds as they did in the semi

5th or 6th best team in Ireland ?

Name the ones better

Kerry Dublin Tyrone and Donegal. I think Mayo are better than Monaghan/Armagh but it's up for debate.

They don’t need him. The Mayo hurlers would give Laois a good game. The KK footballers are one of the worst gaa teams in Ireland, that is even if they are bothered to produce a team. Easy aggregate win for Mayo.

Lets say there is a dual/aggregate all ireland series. So Dublin, Cork, Tipp would be favs then Kerry, Limerick, Clare and Mayo also in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Tyrone have gone and reinvented the game again leaving puke football to the also rans , they played smart direct football with a strong running strategy out of defence and kicking the ball for advantage, a tribute to the quality of their coaches . They trusted their midfielders to win possession and converted their chances , Mayo by contrast had no strategy and would have done better if they had done as in the 2nd half against Dublin and thrown caution to the wind. The next few years could be transformational for the game as football makes a much belated return thanks again to the genius of Tyrone.

Galway too one of the favs. Obvs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I think I'd agree with this. To me, Horan and Mayo over achieved this year by getting to the final, rather than under achieved by not winning it. There are some brilliant players on that Mayo team - Keegan, Durcan etc. However, there is a lack of depth in quality in the panel overall. Before yesterday, I'd have been concerned about certain players on the starting 15. Most of them were taken off. However, their replacements are simply not as good.

I'll give you Tyrone because they beat them last night.

I'll give you Dublin because I still think they are very good.

I won't give you Kerry because they have done absolutely nothing of value in years.

And I certainly wouldn't give you Donegal because they have failed miserably in recent seasons to even make it to a SF when the simple path has been laid out in front of them.

Wait till @laoisman11 comes out with his ranking table.

I'd imagine Mayo will be third.

And his system is a pretty good indication of the reality.

Yeah completely agree. Their forward unit is bang average. Conroy is classy and ROD is industrious. Cillian who was missing is good in the right circumstances. The rest are passengers. Midfield has been decent this year but is still nothing on the real top of the position, Fenton, McCarthy, Moran etc.

I never really subscribe to them being bottlers. They massively outperformed their ability in the last 10 years. Getting beat in provincials or getting lucky in qualifiers against D3 teams before running the best team of all time to a point in a final. Was always outperformance and a very good management team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭corny

I didn't think it would but maybe the elation felt after finally getting over Dublin played a part. I know a few people heard O'Hora say 'this is the best day of my life' and worried about the headspace. I wasn't one of them but...maybe.

I think of more relevance is the way the game unfolded. Tyrone just didn't give Mayo a chance to play the game they wanted to. Mayo are all about building pressure and forcing the opposition onto the back foot. Dublin coughed up the ball numerous times in the closing stages and had a general whiff of unease about them to encourage Mayo. In comparison the Tyrone ball carriers were assured and impossible to pin down. Morgan refused to give the pressure a target too, kicking long when Mayo closed in. They really had no other way to force themselves into the ascendancy once the midfield battle was lost.

Well beaten on the drawing board is how i'd sum it up.

Advertisement