Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2021 US Open

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Going to 5 with Zverev looks like it took too much out of his legs. The crowd actually supporting him must be disorienting too.

Medvedev playing almost flawless on serve, he needs one more break to take the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭klr87

... and Medvedev breaks right at the start of the 3rd set, from 30-0 down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

impossible, Djok playing awful awful tennis and a break down in the 3rd ....

it's done

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ireallydontknow

Wow, that's outrageous. All my disappointment has been converted to anger on hearing it! I've had to hold my nose watching the gaudy American ceremonies and hearing the rowdy crowd shouting during serving motions, and that just tops it all off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Xander10

wow ..big hold. long way back now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Augme

Novak is missing chances I haven't really seen him miss in a long time.

Medvedev is a like a cat on court today.

And Djokovic not moving anything like he usually does - even leaving shots that he'd never leave.

That's it.

It's over.

Double-break.

he looks a broken man.

At least it will be an early night.

It wil be ironic if the last hurrah of the big three is the very match one of them was trying to make the ultimate history in....

Djokovic's legs are gone here.

• Advertisement

Double break, that's it surely.

I wonder what makes the USO the most "open" of the slams in the Big 3 era? All the one-time slam winners in the past 15-16 years have won their slam here: Delpo, Cilic and Thiem. Murray and Wawrinka have won here as well. Medvedev to join them in the next 30 minutes,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭growleaves

Shocking.

Sound gone, no Timmy...I am happy enough with that Prime!

Maybe we should have seen this coming after the losses in Tokyo to Zverev and PCB, and all the sluggish performances here.

Medvedev will be the only man under 25 to hold a slam, I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

Not over yet...

US crowd letting themselves down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The Yahoos are out in full force tonight.

Idiots

3 DFs when serving for the title. breaks himself, with a little help from the crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,408 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Crowd sticking it to Med

• Advertisement

Crazy stuff from crowd to do that to Med

Djokovic in tears at the sit-down.

Losing in straights is a bad way for Djokovic to go out. he had a memorable year, just didn't have enough in the tank for immortality.

Congrats Medvedev, he will win a few more methinks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

What a relief! The vermin in the crowd tried their hardest to throw him off, but delighted for Medvedev!!

Well, the last few games were dramatic, but overall it didn't reach the heights of the women's final.

Anyway, I think Djokovic is still odds-on on to get to 21 first, and could still end up with more than that.

Not the final that was expected.

Medvedev was able to profit.

His serve and groundstroke game were very good and it wasn't the "usual" Djokovic across the net.

Didn't have the legs at all today - he was spent.

Classless American fans, as always. Delighted for Medvedev, he's deserved one. I would have liked Novak to do it because I'm not sure when the next time, if I ever will, see it happen.

Still have Novak favourite for AO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I would have hated to see Djokovic win the third via Medvedev bottling it, thankfully Med was 2 breaks up.

Starting watching from set 2, Djokovic never looked like he was gonna win this.

Well done Medvedev, its nice to see aggressive tennis win out for a change.

Djokovic went to the well too many times this year, that grinding style of play takes its toll.

Medvedev fully capitalised and played aggressively and finished the job unlike Tsipitas in Paris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The way the American fans stand up an clap, the men, is just weird. Just the way they do it. Kinda reminds me of these types: https://youtu.be/EffPnse4WQs?t=38

Greatest fans in the world. Oh the irony.

Medvedev isn't really an aggressive player and Djokovic was poor enough tonight that he didn't have be. He played well enough to win however which is the main thing, he is mentally a bit ahead of Tsitsipas and Zverev at the moment.

interesting tournament overall on the men's side, with a couple of bolters doing well and a new champion. The lack of a good competitive final took a bit of the gloss off it however. No problem with Medvedev winning but would have been nice to see Djokovic carried out on his shield rather than offering minimal resistance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,504 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Well Done Daniil Medvedev

Feel a bit sorry for Djokovic seeing him in tears.

Must have been huge pressure on him, very professional through the ridiculous amounts of photos taken afterwards.

Will he try to alter his game and play more aggressively to shorten points as he gets older like Federer I wonder.

Don't think so, with Medvedev and Zverev getting better and better as well as the new lads like Alcaraz, Brooksby and Sinner coming through, I can't see him winning Australia ... not even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Indeed, his race might well be run and age catches up eventually. Thought there was a touch of that on the podium in his post match address to the crowd, a realisation that his ability to dominate is fading. As for smashing the racquet during the match and the tears etc., put that down to the gamesmanship that he's indulged in over recent years. Thankfully Medvedev was strong enough to ignore that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

He's far from finished but his era of complete domination might be coming to an end alright. I'd still fancy him to pick up a few more, on paper he has little competition at Wimbledon next year anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,627 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I picked Medvedv to win....woke up this morning quite happy....Nole is just not as quick around the court as he used to be

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Stunning result. The thing is now that the other players start to smell blood with the old guard. Musetti and Tsitsipas in the FO, Zverev in the Olympics and now Medvedev have shown that ND can be beaten. With Nadal not playing for probably 6 months and Fed probably done and dusted, the younger players know their time is coming. Interesting point in commentary last night, that ND had a 5-3 record v DM winning the first 2 until Medvedev's game matured matured, last night making it 5-4 overall. In the last 7 it is now 4-3 to DM.

Zverev biggest problem has been his flakiness and we saw in the US open that hasn't changed 5 setters vs 3 are a much different beast.

Medvedev definitely has the game but you also sense they'll.be a lull from winning his first GS. The young pretenders really haven't shown anything as GS level to make me thing they could beat Novak.

Given his age, it's Novak's route in GS is what will decide his outcome. In a one off 5 setter Novak is still a cut above everyone else. But if you throw in a lot of 4 setters and one big 5 setter on route then it's a different beast. I think how he realises that and adapts will be interesting.

Future routes to a final key to Djokovic winning more slams.

Medvedev had a pretty easy route to this final, his side of the draw fell apart once Tsitsipas lost to Alcaraz and then Alcaraz got injured. He still of course got his business done without dropping many sets.  He doesn't appear to warm to grass or clay which may limit his overall slam total, but he looks good for 3 or 4 more hard court slams at least.

Djokovics side of the draw played to its seedings (until the final of course). I read that that this US Open was the most sets he had lost on route to a final all year and his legs finally went (maybe partly down to nerves/stress too, but part of it was undoubtably physical).

He is sinking back ot the level of the rest of the field and will lose more sets earlier in slams as a result. As he drops down a few ranking places he will get trickier matches earlier. The accumulation will start to tell.

Part of me hopes all 3 of them stay on 20.

Would be fitting

Rather that then Nadal win another, and right now that is the most likely...

Djokovic is a far shorter price to win Wimbledon than Nadal is to win the French Open

The lost of the grass court season in 2020, coupled with a shorter than normal one in 2021 due to Covid also has left the players who haven't "learned" how to play grass effectively behind in their development

It took Sampras and Federer 5 attempts before they won Wimbledon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,339 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I was checking Twitter at lunchtime and unfortunately Emma Raducanus win which has gotten mostly positive reaction is being used by both left and right wing people to justify their point of view of Britain. It’s ridiculous really.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

• Advertisement
Advertisement