Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

9/11 20th anniversary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bb12

was living in california and working in silicon valley when it happened. my radio alarm clock went off at 6am californian time and i heard reports of a plane hitting the world trade centre. like everyone else i just presumed it was a light aircraft because i think one had hit the white house the year previously if i remember correctly...anyone, next thing the announcers say they suspected it was a jetliner...i jumped out of bed and ran to turn the tv on. the second plane had hit at that stage...so i ran around the house waking up all my housemates...we all sat there stunned at 6.30 am in the morning...there was so much confusion going on...it seemed there might be hijacked aircraft everywhere...we immediately thought silicon valley might be a target as it was the middle of the dot com boom and the place was literally the technological capital of the world at that point so we thought it would be an obvious target.

san fran evacuated all its high rise buildings and shut down all the bridges across the bay...and because we were 3 hours behind new york, we all thought we were gonna get attacked at 9am our time...i stayed and watched until the towers crumbled and then decided i better go to work...the drive up the 101 freeway was one of the most memorable moments for me...normally for a 4 lane freeway each way, it was nuts on there in rush hour each morning..but that morning it seemed like everyone was driving at 30mph...no overtaking and you could really feel how the other drivers were all stunned and shocked...on the way to work there was one overpass where someone had hung up a homemade sign "god bless america"...by the time i was driving back home that evening, every single bridge over the freeway was completed covered with signs and american flags. i lived near an air force base and in the days afterwards the house would shake with the fighter jets taking off and landing all the time and the most eery part for me was lying in bed at night and hearing those jets in the distance flying up and down the coast on guard...for the first time i knew what it really felt like to be living in a non-neutral country.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Avon8

"Threading the eye of a needle" was the immediate reports by aviation experts, backed up thereafter by the official report. And obviously they missed their target at the much much larger target of the Pentagon, hitting it at the wrong place

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2001-09-13-0109130331-story,amp.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Motivator

I remember being on holidays in America in August 2001 and flew from Orlando to New York and New York to Dublin. The flight from New York home was delayed a few hours and we were stuck on the plane. Me and my brother were brought up to the cockpit by an air hostess and we got the lowdown off the pilots. Mad how that was the norm back then. My sister took an unbelievable photo of the skyline under the setting sun from the plane. Despite it not being the highest quality, it was blown up and sits on her wall in her house now. Probably my favourite photo I’ve ever seen taken from the runway looking over at the towers.

I was in 6th class in school the day of 9/11 and our teacher didn’t say a word about what happened which I always found odd. She disappeared out of the classroom and left us there for the rest of the day. The bell went at the end of the day and I remember all the parents were out talking to one another. I went home and watched the tv until about 2 o clock in the morning and the house phone was ringing all night with cousins and friends of the family in New York reporting in that they were all ok.

It was an awful day, remember it well. Thoughts to all those who died, especially the Irish victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I was flying back to Dublin from the UK, when the first plane hit. I knew nothing about it until I got out of the terminal building and turned on the car radio for the drive home. The first reports were coming in of a plane.... perhaps a light aircraft, having crashed into one of the towers. The radio prog carried on with the music, promising to update soon. The story then developed into a passenger plane accident. I stopped off to pick up some grocery shopping and by the time I was back in the car, the second plane had hit and radio coverage was constant. I got home and rushed in to turn the TV on, just as the first tower fell and reports were also (or soon) talking of a crash at the pentagon and another plane flying without air traffic control contact and heading for Washington. It was like the world was ending.

I was involved in Dublin pirate radio at the time and using the still developing internet, I used to record US stations, on my dial up modem. This was in the days where you had to know the stream URL or else go to the few radio websites that existed at the time. I logged on to a few I knew of in the NY area and sat stunned as my mini disc recorder captured the developing incidents, live.

I listened and recorded for as long as I could before the local NY radio stations went off air due to either power failure or loss of transmission facilities - some had their relay and link equipment located on the towers. Some of the bigger NYC stations came back on air in the following few days using backup and borrowed transmission equipment, before The Empire State building was then kitted out as the main radio relay location for the NYC area, just as it had been, before the taller Twin Towers were built.

It was a surreal few days. I remember our government then declaring a national day of mourning for the victims, giving everyone a day off to contemplate. It was a strange time as I was working for a company that had strong American connections and they were fighting on, no day of mourning declared there - they were still in the middle of trying to cope. As a sign of solidarity with our colleagues, some of us stayed working on the day so that they could carry on and interact with us as normal. We never told them that Ireland had shut down to think about their pain, while they were determined to carry on and not be beaten.

A year or so later, I attended a talk given in a Dublin hotel by four NYC Firefighters that had been involved on the day. Three were on duty on the day, one was retired due to previous injuries received. All four were right in the heart of the madness and suffered additional physical injuries on the day. One had survived being trapped in the collapse of the North Tower. They give their time free and were going around the world to tell their story and experiences, the admission fee for the event was donated to the burns unit in Crumlin Children's hospital. They were using local fire service contacts wherever they went, for accommodation and to organise the venues for their talks.

I asked them why they were doing the lectures .... they all said that they still didn't sleep at night and wanted to do something positive to highlight the better aspects of humanity that they experienced on the day and since. The motivational speeches they gave were stunning, in recalling the horror of their direct experiences, they found light and wanted to get that message across. It was strange to see hope for humanity coming from people who had seen so much hate and horror on the day that changed the world.

It is hard to believe that twenty years have now passed.

Post edited by Ger Roe on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

When safety measures are taken in advance of a big event, its called "health and safety gone mad". There's no prize for the safety measure when a tragedy never happens.

On 9/11 I always think there are 2 separate sides to it. There's the obvious tragedy obvious tragedy the pain and suffering from the lives lost and injuries sustained. And on the other side There's the fact that Americans seem completely uncurious about the cause of the tragedy and what they could to do anticipate future attacks, and realise that future attacks are likely baked in when they invade countries (like Afghanistan and Iraq).

They are two completely separate sides of the situation and it doesn't take from the tragedy. But the fact that they aren't even slightly honest about what lead to the attack means more attacks are far more likely to happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The Pentagon is much larger but only 7 stories, hitting it anywhere would be more akin to a targeted crash landing so not surprising that the hijackers nearly undershot. Hitting the WTC was more of a flying than a landing exercise. Great visibility on the day and two huge towers, one hit much lower than the other but similar result. Options to go around or hit something else if you miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I remember leaving school and a friend coming over to a group of us saying terrorists were attacking America. It was an absolute rasper of a day as well. Went home and don't think sky news was off the TV for the rest of the week . The whole family eating dinner watching it everynight.

Mad to think that now we'd all have known the minute it happened with app notifications.

Had tickets to see Pantera the following week but they got cancelled and replaced by Slayer. They never toured again and then Dimebag Darrell was shot dead by a crazed fan a few years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,783 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In terms of terrorism it isn’t. Globally...

In 2008 approximately 8000 people were killed due to terrorism.

in 2014 approximately 45,000 people on the planet were killed due to terrorist activities.

in 2017 approximately 28,000 people on the planet were killed due to terrorist activities.

Al Qaeda have attacked and killed in dozens of country’s in almost every continent.

Where did these figures come from?

I grew up in the 70s and 80s and I remember many bombings, terrorist attacks and plane hijacking. I don't believe we are in anymore danger then back then, in fact, we were in more danger in the 70s. My own mother was caught in O Connell at in the bombings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was in the WTC in 1999 getting a tour. To give an idea of the height your ears pop a few times going up the lift.

Saddest part in hindsight (given what happened two years later) tour guide said in the event of an emergency all people go to top of tower to be airlifted by helicopters. Which was obviously the worst thing to do when the towers were hit.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Some sporting events were cancelled/postponed afterwards including the 2001 Ryder Cup. An event that did go ahead a few days after 9/11 was the indycar race in Germany, was renamed the American Memorial. A horrific crash happened at it with Alex Zanardi losing both his legs on the track, photos of the crash captured bits of his legs flying through the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

The saddest thing about 9/11 is America using it as a cover to invade Iraq and kill hundreds of thousands of Iraqis. That act was as evil as anything Bin Laden did.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭billyhead

I was doing a course that morning where some of the students in the college were over from America including New York studying. We were watching the events unfold on a TV in the lobby of the college. The shear disbelief and shock on their faces was horrible. Some of the American students were frantically trying to ring home and one of the students had a relative working in the trade center. Such an awful cowardly action from the perpetrators.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I remember reading a book there a few year ago. Can't remember exactly all I can remember is that they landed the plane at some airport and all were left in an airport terminal and Mosad went in. However one bit I do remember is how going to certain countries airports even Greece was seen by some as a hijacking happening

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I remember it vividly and at the exact time I was going to view a very rural cottage to purchase (now my home).

I recall getting lost, literally hadn't a clue were I was, listening to live line and the news Broke. It was the most surreal experience, in a car, middle of nowhere, lost , crap mobile signal and listening to this on the car Radio. It honestly felt like war had broken out.

I went on to work in America 2006/2009 and even many years later I could sense the affect it had on America.

Rest in Peace.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,421 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Christ even after twenty years hearing people reading the names out is rough and especially when they get to their relatives and talk about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

hearing stories and seeing footage, is still disturbing, some humans are truly fcuked up

• Registered Users Posts: 16,336 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Hard to believe it's exactly twenty years since I watched the second plane hit live on TV.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I was on a lunch break on a work-related training course, arrived back in the office, and tried to check my email. The internet was quickly overwhelmed and the news came in through TV and radio. We left early that day and could only watch events on TV.

I didn't know any of the victims personally, but today they have already read out the names of some people I'd heard of: David & Lynn Angell. David had been a senior writer on two of my favourite TV shows, Cheers and Frasier, winning 8 Emmy awards for his work on both.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,421 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It does show how bad it was in the towers that jumping out of the towers to your death was the “better” option for those people.

thought i had seen the second live, but theres no way with the time it occurred

• Registered Users Posts: 16,336 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I had turned on the TV when it was reported on the radio that a cessna had hit one of the towers. It would have been just before 14.00 Irish time. When the second plane hit it was initially thought it was an explosion, it was only on replays that the second plane was identified.

That was the thing about it, so much confusion, nobody knew what was happening and as stated before when it became clear that people were falling out of the towers the gravity of the situation really sank in, it was an unbelievable experience to watch it in real time.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's hard to fathom that one , anyone, could just walk into a cockpit of a airliner, and do as they pleased.

i was on a 6-2 shift, so theres not a hope i seen either live, still very serial though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I was at work when the first plane hit and I remember a Palestinian colleague commenting on how some depressed stockbrokers crashed the plane and it wasn't a terrorist attack. Still not sure if it was a joke in bad taste, but years later I met him and he thinks it was an inside job. He has returned home since.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Mark A. Milley, is giving a speech at the Pentagon ceremony now. He sounds angry, and I don't blame him. He's made several direct references to recent events in Afghanistan, and I think his speech will raise a few eyebrows in the press.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 17,747 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Not too difficult for anyone with a bit of experience. They took someone with about the same level of experience as the hijacker on flight 77 and he was able to hit the Pentagon 3 out of 3 times on a proper Boeing simulator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I was sending out an A320 in Dublin Airport and the Captain asked me, over the headset,if I'd heard anything about a plane hitting a building in New York. I replied that I thought it was a guy in a Cessna accidentally hitting a skyscraper. When I'd sent him on his way and went back to our line office, the supervisor had just turned the TV on and we saw the second aircraft impact. We watched it for a while and then I went out to see in another aircraft and the crew had obviously heard of the event and everybody on board was stunned. The airport went from being buzzing and active to being almost silent within minutes. We had aviation frequency radios in the vans and I remember the outgoing pilots asking the Tower if they were going to be allowed to take off. Even then,just after the second crash and in Ireland,they thought the airlines would be grounded. Going home off shift, every TV and radio was talking about nothing else and the atmosphere in and around the airport was one of stunned silence. Crazy day. I'll never forget it and RIP to all the innocents who died that day.

Advertisement