Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How excruciatingly annoying is Brian Kerr's commentary?

Comments

In general I hate the ‘trew blew Dub’ sorts. Make an exception for Kerr though - absolutely brilliant commentator. He can also be very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Great insights by Kerr last night on Virgin.

The man knows more about football than anyone on here, and most commentators put together.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I really like him personally.

Seems really clued in, he didn't get a fair crack of the whip at the Ireland job imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

I cannot understand some people saying he is one of the most knowledgeable football men. How can he be when he can't even pronounce the names of players when commentating.

He and Ronnie Whelan are those types of Dubs that when they get talking they go on a meandering stream of consciousness. No lads, we don't want to hear every single thought that goes through your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭dasdog

I can't believe this thread exists. Aside from John Giles who is still as sharp as a razor at 80 years of age, Kerr is the analyst of choice for anyone remotely interested in football. A funny bollocks too when he wants to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Was listening to him commentate on a Premier league game once and after he made a decent attempt at a couple of long foreign names in a row, he came out with ".....jaysus, god be with the days where it was John to dave and dave to paul"

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

It's that reed thin quality to his voice that grates, as well as the sort of exaggerated Oirish accent that's belongs to people cringingly in love with themselves for having one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭xper

You're just showing your ignorance here. Kerr was one of the few that openly argued against the corrupt and self-serving governance structures throughout the FAI and got shafted and ostracised for years by those who benefitted from them because of it. I suggest you pick up a copy of Champagne Football.

Not liking his commentary style is a mater of personal taste and anyone is entitled to love it, hate it or be indifferent but the above post is an insult to a man who has passionately and intelligently served soccer in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

would you ever take a running jump.

Kerr commentates with a whine like a buzz saw, that what I don’t like , not suitable for commentary.

Everything else is just arse boxing.

Couldnt listen to the lad, that’s my point, cock.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I like him and he seems cool. Horses for courses though, that Michael Mac AnWhateverthef*ck GAA commentator makes my skin crawl, sanctimonious prick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

He's been retired for over ten years, but to be honest your post is the perfect example of the kind of snobbery that prevents accents from outside of The Pale to be heard on Irish radio and television.

People from Dublin genuinely believe that the media belongs to them and should only represent their demographics. The regular joe soap from outside of the capital's voice is routinely suppressed in favour of some caterwauling singer-songwriter or football man from "de nortside" who endlessly claim to be a victim of snobbery and under-representation. It's all about Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I'd rather listen to Kerr than the polished afraid to say anything at all semi controversial types like Sadlier, Doyle, Fallon.

I don't think Kerr does be on match commentary anymore though? Maybe he's too high risk in the modern world. I remember the euros in 2012 I think he said a lad could get sent off any minute because he was a skinhead.

Fallon?

Good decision to keep Kerr away from the mic.

Not suitable for that medium, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Brian kerry would be better than whoever is doing Co commentary tonight, who sounds like he is narrating a banknof ireland ad

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Forgot the great man was on tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Kerr's brilliant and he annoys the turf-eaters so that's even better.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I'm a certified turf muncher myself and I cannot figure out how anyone could dislike Kerr.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In fairness to Whelan his pedigree is as a footballer is savage... he seems sincere, interested and insightful, for the most part. The odd gaffe.

Kerr, never managed a truly professional team, he’s spent the majority of his career managing amateurs, in front of 3000 people on a Friday night in inchicore.

As an Ireland manager he has a weird record..

Played : 33

Won : 18

Drew : 11

Lost : 4

a 50% win ratio... if he’s have turned 6 or 7/p more draws into wins...

We are talking about Kerr the commentator and pundit here, my friend.

I remember the documentary shown recently of the infamous ‘International’ against Libya.

If ever anything epitomized the Irish soccer scene at that time it was that.

And there was Kerr to the fore in it all.

Unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

I'd rather listen to Kerr for 10hrs straight than 30 seconds of Roy Keane.

😧

Fair play pal, a severe water boarding on the eastern side of Cuba wouldn’t be as bad as that!

Fair fcuks an all that, buddy.

Thinly veiled Pro Stephen Kenny thread.

The culture war for Irish football is in full swing. Kenny's detractors will be eliminated!!!

Kerr has a face for radio and a voice for print

I could take or leave his accent but he's a great reader of the game, insightful and can be quite witty.

He's definitely not FAI old-guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Kerr is by far my most hated commentator, which is saying a lot when you have Martin Tyler polluting every 2nd PL game with his atrocious puns. I don't care how insightful he may or may not be, his exaggerated accent and woeful non-attempts at foreign pronunciations annoy the **** out of me.

I read the word 'excruciatingly' in Brian's voice and got annoyed so i guess that's a fair indication

The boy Kerr should be let nowhere an open mic….

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Nah ! The lad offends too many people ...which is bad for media .

Can see him faaaaading into the sunset real sooon

That's reality ...

• Advertisement

Must come cheap, still whining away at several gay-ams.

Advertisement