Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Killing of Fr Niall Molloy

• 06-09-2021 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

On RTE One now...

Having late night drinks with a couple in their bedroom....Seems to be doing more damage to his reputation than anything imo....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭Tork

I love how people rush to judgement minutes after a TV show like this starts to air 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

I'm sure that bothers him now he's murdered and his family have had no justice for nearly 40 years you absolute idiot.. it doesn't matter if they were having a 20 man gangbang as long as it was legal

his murder certainly wasn't, have a look at yourself

I only knew the broad outline of the story so I learned some new things tonight. It looks like they are holding off the good stuff until next week. So far, it's starting to look very like the Flynns had the money and influence to be able to avoid justice.

It was a terrible case. I remember when it happened. Seems like the Flynns had really been taking advantage of him.

I can't see his family getting any nearer to the truth or getting justice at this stage. Very sad.

No, it's too long ago at this stage and most if not all of the main players are now dead. But if the Flynns were able to bypass the justice system in the way they seem to have, it'd make you wonder who else has pulled the same stunt?

• Advertisement

take a look at this article- it’s faking frightening

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

Looks like financial dealings was the root cause of the disturbance at the house that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

If you look at the fr Niall Molloy website it has a letter from an anonymous person stating that a doctors wife died in mysterious circumstances 10 days after the death of fr Molloy an indo article states that 2 mysterious deaths of witnesses occurred after the death of fr Molloy, who were these people?

I don’t know but will be glued to Part 2 next week - We had G.U.B.U in the 80s but I’m my eyes this is beyond GU BU - this is total corruption to the core. A botched investigation- witnesses not interviewed for 30 years- a Judge who knew the defendant-

if you look at the Sophie Toscan threads-Sky and Netflix- there’s all sorts of conspiracy theories around Garda cover-ups etc When you read about this case you’d really wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

It just goes to show the kind of scum who attain high office in this land and that once you have money and status you can literally get away with murder.

This was the most clear cut and obvious case of murder in history he was found beaten to death in their house Flynn admitted it and yet he walked due to the Judge being his mate.

• Advertisement

The Molloy family didn't think Richard did it ...too convenient for the family friend doctor to actually drive the wife to the hospital before gardai were called...she should not have left the house as it was a potential crime scene and was there at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Acosta

I haven't watched it yet, but there was a Today Tonight special in 1987 that went into the incident in great detail, as well as the goings on during the court case and how the judge behaved. This was on prime time TV just two years after the murder when the suspect was still alive, yet still nothing happened regarding a new investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭Xander10

Surprised this hasn't received more comments. I wasn't aware of the facts before, and it appears a lousy miscarriage of justice. Looking forward to part 2. Hope the nephew can find justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

It looks like the Flynn’s weren’t the only people in the house when fr Molloy was killed, a doctor from kilbeggan was called even though there was a doctor in Clara, was the Clara doctor already in attendance?

the statement made my Flynn’s son would allude to the fact that it wasn’t his father who killed Molloy and possibly wasn’t any of the Flynn’s at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I got the impression from the interviews with Molloy's relatives that they believe Richard Flynn was the killer. It would be unlikely a woman could inflict such fatal injuries. The question arises were there other male persons present when he suffered the fatal assault?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Spencer101

It seems the priest was killed some time before the strange sequence of how they got outside help- from memory someone drove past a nearer doctor to get a doctor further away. The parish priest was at the Flynns' residence but didn't make certain calls for help as he didn't have his glasses and then went home to get the glasses but didn't then make those calls, for help, as he assumed someone at the Flynns' house had now done it. A very bizarre time line across the board which can not be true and many of us would assume allowed them some time to get a plan in place. Richard Flynn had a bruised hand. His story of striking his wife and the priest was therefore partly true. Multiple reports over the years say that Richard Flynn was not thought in the area to be the murderer. The same reports tend to suggest that the murderer was still alive after the death of Therese Flynn in the 1990s. I have no sense from the TV as to how tall or robust a woman Therese Flynn was but intuitively feel that a man killed Niall Molloy. So 36 years later it seems unlikely we will ever know the truth but the following scenario generally works for me. There was a row between Niall Molloy and the Flynns- take your choice it was either to do with the £12,000 the priest wanted back or because Therese Flynn was sleeping with Niall Molloy or indeed perhaps both. 1 of the 3 of them struck someone first and a scuffle started. A younger male person over heard this/ walked in to the start of it and then went to the aid of the Flynns and for whatever reason perhaps they were drunk, perhaps there were other reasons, battered Niall Molloy with very considerable force.

Post edited by Spencer101 on

It was said that a blunt instrument may have also used to hit the the victim....a bronze horse figurine was mentioned...no doubt Richard involved in melee that evening...just it would look more credible for her if she had stayed at the house and then go to hospital after gardai arrived as her husband was implicating her also on how this incident started.

Post edited by cap.in.hand. on

They had made their choices as to who they called/ didn't call and when. The local priest who is now deceased was presumably sympathetic to perhaps his richest parishioner. The culture of the time seemed to favour keeping things quiet/ not causing a scandal. Therese Flynn may have thrown a punch or pushed someone but my sense of it is the bulk of the fighting was done by Richard Flynn and likely another male where that male would have very much wished to go to the aid of the Flynns. Best recall is Dominic McGlinn S.C's report 6/7 years ago said there were no records available from Tullamore hospital as to any injuries she may have had. I think we were told last night that Niall Molloy had no defensive wounds so he probably didn't punch anyone but may have in a row got up too close to Richard or Therese Flynn and/or pushed one of them. The murderer if one believes the multiple reports over the years (that it was not Richard Flynn) is still as far as we know alive and perhaps 55-60 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭batman75

There was a county surgeon at the house that night. He died a year later from a heart attack. His wife, who was there as well, is still alive and I believe knows what happened but it seems nobody will talk.

• Advertisement

His wife was Therese Flynn's sister in law ? There are likely several people alive between the age of c55-65 who you would have thought know what happened that night but they decided to protect one of their number.

Richard Flynn will always be implicated because he admitted the punches he gave Molloy could in some way may have led to his untimely death...he may have been the fall-guy for someone else but seemed to step up to the plate that it may have been his fault... jail term or not....that'll live with that family forever....their lives were going to be changed anyway because of what happened at their home

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

As time goes by the chances of a conviction gets exponentially smaller. Same with Sophie case too. Neither will ever be solved.

Therese Flynn seems to have died before her time in the 1990's- exactly when in that decade I don't know. If she was roughly the same age as her husband in 1985 she was 47 (or so) and therefore died by about her 60th birthday ? Richard Flynn had a fair innings dying in 2017 and was said to be in 'his late 80's' - but that must have been an error ' late 70's' would be more correct if his age was reported correctly (at the time of the murder) ? The Revenue went after Flynn in 1987 for £126,000 which is perhaps €500,000 in today's values ? Kilcoursey House was, by necessity, sold in the early 1990s aside from the Revenue they were being chased by Barclays bank for debts. On top of that the Molloy family sued the Flynn's at least once over I think the £12,000 referred to last night. Paddy McEntee SC was at his absolute height in 1986 and presumably a private paying client who got off a manslaughter charge paid really, rather a lot of money for McEntee's services. Can't find anything specific now but tend to recall in 2017 when Richard died some of the reports said he moved away from Offaly, continued in business but lived in reduced circumstances. Dominic McGinn refers, in 2014 in his report to some of the Flynn children being divorced but that aside I don't know to what degree the parents possible troubles after the murder were visited on the wider family.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Admitting to killing someone is not an admission of murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

This case has angered me for years! Bill Maher, Fr. Molloy's nephew, had a thread about it on Politics.ie. which I used to follow.

My heart goes out to the family. I cannot imagine their frustration at the justice system in this country and their pain at what is

clearly the murder of their uncle. I had not realised some family members suffered death threats and had their house burnt down.

What is more disturbing is that planning permission to rebuild was allegedly blocked by FF politicians. It really is a scandal that this

case has not received more publicity over the years, especially when you see the fuss made in the media about things which, in the

whole scheme of things, do not matter a whit.

Pretty sure R Flynn moved to Moate and re-married. His first wife's sister was married to a county surgeon. His first wife was from Galway. She died I believe circa 1991.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Turfcutter

Just watched the documentary on the RTE player. A number of observations

1. Flynn's explanation of a row over getting a drink seems tosh.
    2. Why was the coroner's inquest held after the criminal trial.
    3. Flynn's son seemed to intimate that the truth couldn't be spoken.
    4. Is Theresa's Flynn's amnesia plausible?
    5. I would question her amnesia considering she tried to fraudulently cash in an insurance policy of Fr Molloy some years later.
    6. Flynn died in 2017 and based on him being 47 in 1986 that put him at 78/79 when he did die.

It was heartbreaking seeing the hurt on the faces of the relatives of Fr Molloy. Justice Roe did his profession a grave disservice in taking the case. He was friends with the Flynn's and should have stepped aside. I find it inconceivable that a member of the Flynn family isn't in a position to give a definitive account of what happened to Fr Molloy. Justice seems unlikely now but the truth can always come out. They owe it to the family of Fr Molloy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Advertisement