Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

The An Post vox account on Twitter is almost exclusively dealing with people that have had unexplained returns at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

If by dealing with you mean asking you to DM them and then not replying, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

Just had an auto response to my email to David McRedmond An Post CEO to say

Sorry I'm off on me holliers until September 20th.

Who'd believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭dam099

I don't know that you are doing yourself any favours taking that tone with the minister, you are asking for his help while more or less insulting him.

Social media reports themselves while maybe a useful canary in the coalmine will not (nor should not) lead to immediate action by anyone, he needs to get someone in the department and/or Comreg to investigate and get proper stats from An Post as to what % of parcels are being returned analysed by their purported "reasons" for doing so and then validate whether they agree with reasons given or regard them as spurious.

It is not at all surprising that the CEO of a company with up to 5million customers (almost everyone in the State has received a piece of mail at some point) is not answering individual emails complaining about the service. I would be concerned if he was, his job (which based on the anecdotal reports here he is indeed failing at) should be to ensure the company is being well run with systems in place to deliver all correctly addressed and documented mail and to have a properly resourced and trained customer service to deal with the inevitable exceptions that would occur even if the service was well run.

All that said it seems there a potentially major problem though it is difficult to quantify as social media will inevitably amplify the problems over the successfully delivered items. If we had competent oversight by Comreg they should be all over this without needing prompting.

dam099

I do take your point but with respect I am a constituent of the Minister and know his form. Apart from that how can he be blissfully unaware that this problem exists for this length of time, and if he does, how does he account for his inaction?

In the matter of An Post CEO, I wholly agree he shouldn't have to answer individual mails. However I have had endless successes writing to CEO's The decent ones thanked me, but even the "snotty" ones backed off when I promised to hold them to account. I've seldom failed with this method. Of course I would rather see him doing his job, but his job is running the postal service efficiently. Alter all he did get an awards recently for being such an awesome businessman. Doing his job would mean that An Post would do their job according to EU rules (Only the Irish postal service is like behaving this) and stop lying to it's customers and throwing Customs under the bus as their stock answer to every query.....before they stopped answering emails at all! And just to prove how contemptible he is, David McRedmond has swanned off until September 20th. No matter what the outcome, I intend to see that this man is held to account!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭dam099

Yea fair enough.

Another avenue that might be worth pursuing is trying to get it on the radar of some of the members of whichever Dail committee has ultimate oversight for An Post (Transport and Communications?) and see if they will hold a hearing on it.

I think you're reading my mind!! I've just downloaded a pdf from the Dail's website abouut how to write to a Committee! Good one!

In the meantime I also found this link: ireland.representation.ec.europa.eu/contact-european-union/contact-ireland/other-institutions-and-offices_en

It's probably time we started to bring the matter to the EU - let's see how much the EU care about us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Apparently the UK seller finally received the first of my returned parcels back today. It states that an electronic CN23 is required so it wasn't customs compliant.

Unfortunately the replacement was marked as return to sender yesterday. It has an electronic CN22 as that's what they thought was required according the Irish Revenue booklet. It's very confusing. I got no response on the An Post Chat today trying to find out why a CN23 is needed - it closed after 90 minutes wait due to "user inactivity".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think the EU would only care if deliveries from another EU country were impacted.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 deliriousmoonbeam

Just found this thread and it makes me happy that An Post aren't specifically targeting my family, as there are three of us with stuff bounced back into oblivion in the last few weeks. My mother emailed Mr Eric Mamer of the EU and several others this morning about this as well. Emails to the Indo.ie. She got a particularly unhelpful email response from ecommerce support and a rather rude response from An Post support in general and has taken it to heart in the way that only stubborn retirees can. I was personally hung up on. Lied to. My husband the same.

Weirdly enough Revenue were actually a joy to deal with in comparison though limited in what they could do.

But something needs to be done. I don't care if I've to stand out with a sign in front of the DMC or the Dail, I don't care who has to be shamed, but it needs to be fixed. A country can't function with a broken postal/customs system. And if they're rejecting so much that freight is backed up, then they're doing something wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

So have found out through webchat that the parcel sent to me from the UK via Royal Mail will be returned to sender as it had no electronic customs data. According to the Royal Mail website though if you are sending through a Post Office, which I believe the seller did "If sending using one of our tracked and signature services an unbarcoded CN22/CN23 should be used. Royal Mail will take care of customs pre-advice to the overseas postal authority." So are Royal Mail not sending the data, or are An Post not receiving it? Also it does look like An Post have removed most mentions of CN22.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MrCouperin

An Post are really an incredibly dodgy outfit lately, aren't they? I sent them an email well over a week ago about making a formal complaint, and that and every email I've sent them for about 10 days now has gone completely ignored. It's not acceptable at all. None of this is.

I think removing mention of the CN22 is a troubling development. Most of the small parcels coming into Ireland would be using this. I don't know what that means in the long run. What their plan is?

I found this on Twitter. It's from the March 2021 Revenue documentation. This is what I imagine most international companies are following.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

A couple of developments with my post today. I had confirmation from Zenmarket that 1 parcel has been received back by them marked rejected by recepient.

However, I've had 2 packages from Buyee and 1 from Zenmarket delivered to me today. The two buyee parcels were relatively low value but the Zenmarket package had a value of about €220 (including postage). I fully expected to have to pay vat and duty on the Zenmarket parcel if it made it through but I didn't get charged on any of the 3 packages.

I wonder if some An Post employee thought "sod this I'm letting a few through" or something lol

I dn't thinks there's a plan. I've yet to understand their thinking (or conspiracy!!!).

The one think I do notice is that just about ALL Amazon packets make it through? Is something afoot!

I had a parcel returned to the UK recently. Here's the kicker: The senders business (for many years) is supplying British goods and foods to expat Brits, mostly

living in the EU, but many more further afield. They are diligent about keeping up with regulations.My package was delivered to them the other day, having spent almost 4 weeks in the parcel centre, while I wrote 5 emails asking if they needed further documents / info to release the package. All were ignored, the parcel was returned and here's the "scummy" nature of the story - the plastic bag containing the documents had been cut open and the documents removed!

This has to be illegal!! That is clearly interfering with post!

I see Amazon are now listed as one of An Post's Online Retailers - it had previously only listed M&S, L'Occitaine and Sweaty Betty. A good few others added over the last few days - that would mean Amazon stuff may be more straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,762 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Time to contact Sin Fein and ask if they want some ammunition for embarrassing questions time.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

I'm using a shopping agent similar to Buyee to purchase a low value item from China which I should be requesting to get shipped to Ireland later this week. What kind of specific instructions can I give to avoid encountering the issue people are experiencing here? Make sure to complete a CN22 and use a TARIC number?

• Advertisement

Yes more straightforward! Or would Amazon be "encouraging" An Post to favour them??????????????

f course on a completely different note the CEO David McRedmond headed off today until September 20th (what a disgrace in the middle of this crisis), I wonder whose beach he's sunning on????

I would say complete an electronic CN23. That seems to be what they want.

It's hard to know specifically what to do but it does seem like An Post wants to completely automate the sorting and Vat colleciton process with electronic customs info.

As I said before I tried to say this to Buyee but they pretty much told me to take a running jump.

Among the postage options are DHL. Would the method of postage/courier make a difference or is it the buying agent you need to comply?

DHL will collect any VAT or duty before releasing the package to you so there would be no issue with them. The issue with couriers is they cost more than national carriers but the other side of the coin is they are much faster and will take care of the customs stuff for you.

The question is which is more important to you, speed and efficiency or low cost? An Post's current issues make make couriers more tempting.

I hear you. It's not even the time but the risk of the package being punted back like people are experiencing here.

True, it's going to cost me the bones of €100 to re-post the stuff that An Post have punted back to Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 hammerheart

Unbelievable. Had the same last week from from the ‘Operations Excellence Manager Mails & Parcels’

who told me he was on leave! What a shambles you actually couldn’t write it.

45 days on and I’m still no closer to an answer. I hate to be hyperbolic but it’s criminal what they’re doing, when you consider how many thousands are effected, and all the business’ getting screwed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 hammerheart

Here is the latest email I got.

“Thank you for your further email and I understand your frustration like other customers who are experiencing issues with their incoming items, but I reject your comments regarding An Post role in this situation as we are not the source of this issue. I stress that An Post can only deliver what we receive and that An Post cannot amend or rectify any electronic customs data.

Due to new EU Customs rules, which came into effect on 1st July 2021, VAT and customs charges now apply when you buy goods outside of the EU. These customs charges are payable to Irish Revenue. I am informed that your item has been returned to sender, as the electronic customs declaration made by the retailer/sender for your item was insufficient or invalid according to Customs regulations. As above, unfortunately, An Post cannot amend customs declaration so items with incomplete data are returned. 

For non-restricted/non-prohibited items, you will need to refer to the sender and request that they submit a customs declaration with full details when resending your item. Our Taric code finder helps retailers understand the required information needed.

I am sorry I cannot offer you a more favourable reply or offer any further information.”

They are so stubborn, still rejecting any responsibility for their **** service. Also he is straight up lying by shifting the blame to customs. As for the 30 quid I paid to ship, I'll never get that back either. I urge others never to use this garbage company again!

Post edited by hammerheart on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It would be helpful if they could specify exactly what was wrong with the declaration so the sender could rectify their mistake, if in fact they ever made one, rather than bluntly returning the item. Leaving it as a guessing game for both parties involved helps nobody at all.

Advertisement