Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

I asked them in 5 emails while they held my parcel for 5 weeks!

They sent it back anyway. while ignoring all my emails.

The sender is a supplier of British goods to the British expat community all over the EU and further overseas and is used to all the new rules.

Ireland is the only country causing these dfficulties! Everywhere else working fine! They tell me that Ireland is the laughing stock of Europe.

Adding salt to the wounds, both the CEO and the Head of Parcels have both fecked of on holidays until late September! Contemptible!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Did the buyee one have codes or anything on it?

One of mine sent back from them so do they think I'm just sending it back for fun now. It'd be worth about e150 though so maybe it's the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 hammerheart

has anybody used Yamato Transport to ship from Japan?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RollingSun2000

Yamato Transport is a courier service within Japan. More commonly called TA-Q-BIN. They don't export out of the country. (great for sending your luggage from one hotel or city to another while you use public transport).

For international shipping, check out Tenso and Blackship. The latter is more recommended by foreigners. I am in the process of trying both of them, however Blackship offer DHL and Fedex.

I currently have a package on it's way with Tenso, using registered small packet (air). I have no clue if it will be rejected by An Post yet.

I ordered a few other things directly from a small seller, and one of them is already marked by An Post as "try to return to sender." I have a second package that arrived into Dublin mail centre last week, just sitting there. I don't have much hope for receiving that either. I received two packages from the same seller in July, so I have no idea what is different now, unless the staff working in the depot are getting feed up with manually checking everything and are on a strike (or work to rule).

My hope is that Tenso are better at filling out the paper work, since that is their business. I'm a bit more hopeful, but considering we have a UK seller here in the forum that is well experienced with the process, I'm not going to hold my breath. I will have to wait and see what happens.

As well as the package using Tenso, I have have two more packages still on their way directly from the mentioned small seller. I thought considering my packages arrived fine in July, there was no problems. September has been a massive learning experience.

* I am using Tenso. Not to be confused with "Tenso Japan," they are a different crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Interesting. But other items you’re waiting on/that were sent back did they have this CN22 do you know? What’s the difference between a CN 22 and a CN 23 form?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

No Taric codes or barcodes on the Buyee ones. Or on the Zenmarket one.

And I received a €220 parcel safely yesterday so I'm not sure value is the entire issue either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 PhilHill69

More returned Parcels from An Post.

All parcels were small, low priced, low weight packages.

Each parcel had a CN22 label, and also electronic CN22's with taric numbers, my business Eori Number, Vat Number etc.

An Post rejected, saying Not Customs Compliant. Needs electronic CN23.

It is now quite apparent An Post are completely at fault. I have taken to twitter, and asked on multiple occasions for them to define their criteria when a package needs a CN23. No response in the last 7 days. Also I see others are asking the same question, also without response.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭dashdoll

This is totally ridiculous at this point and they are not doing their job. I'm happy to pay any VAT on items if that's the issue but sending 10000s packages back must be costing a fortune - who actually pays for this? People are only looking to be delivered items bought and paid for in good faith.....only in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ShayNanigan

I really do hope this whole thing would get media attention. So far I've seen zero articles about the chaos and I think it would be high time it was picked up as a news story. Then again I'm not surprised if it will not be in the media for reasons you can guess. No-one is willing to upset their golfing partner or some such by exposing their incompetence. All the news stories I can see about An Post lately have to do with their other business interests, like they are focusing on anything but delivering mail.

Looks like they've got someone now answering the tweets about missing parcels that have been piling up and promising to "look into it". I've got one letter coming from UK (small items from Etsy) that should arrive this week and I've paid VAT for it but based on people's experiences here, I expect it to be sent back regardless of what's marked on the envelope. Sadly the seller who is sending me my order in a letter only has two delivery options, a regular letter and a registered one so no idea how to get my order once it returns. I suppose they won't be interested in looking into courier services if they haven't before. Another registered letter coming from France but it left the country last Thursday so it's technically not delayed yet but tracking shows absolutely nothing since. Not sure it counts as being delayed yet but slightly scared that possibly none of the EU deliveries is getting through either.

Meanwhile, friends sent me two chocolate bars from Scandinavia (yeah I know, probably you shouldn't send perishable items but they've done this before without my request as a surprise) which took three weeks to arrive and for the first time ever, something strange has happened to them during transit. Both bars looked like they had melted partially and then solidified again leaving one corner of the package completely empty. Strangely enough nothing had leaked through the tinfoil and paper, even the letter inside the envelope was in pristine condition (as was the envelope itself). They have the same weight as originally so nothing has left the parcel. I can't for the life of me figure out how they could have melted since I cannot think of a situation where the parcels would be subjected to extreme heat unless An Post stores parcels in direct sunlight somewhere. Strange!

The whole country will be in chaos soon if An Post is not sorted out. Imagine what will happen if this goes on for a month or more? I can see how this can and will escalate the way things are going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Well we are approaching sales/Christmas season in a couple of months, if this isn't sorted by then it will be utter chaos. The majority posting here seem to order internationally regularly. What will happen when all the people who make 1 or 2 annual online purchases start having their stuff returned without them even knowing. This is an absolute disaster, both the way things are being sent back but even moreso the way this is all being handled (which is not handling it).

Unfortunately, the senders of your goods has supplied incorrect data (No Taric Codes on either, item, this is a code used to classify the type of goods sent) and the goods cannot be declared to Irish Revenue for assessment. Your items have now been returned to sender.

MOD- <SNIP> Do not quote people's names from correspondence.

Contact Centre Team Leader 

I'm sure I shared the whole email earlier but this was the reoly messaging the board of management

Post edited by whiterebel on

Would it be possible to send a photo of the buyee one with obviously none of your bits just where it says buyee and if there's a date if it's on it. Might back me up on mine being sent back if yours cane without

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

My parcel is still showing in Dublin mail centre since the 2nd even though I paid my Import VAT as soon as I was notified and checking on Revenue's site shows it as Cleared on the 2nd as well. So I guess if it gets returned, they can't exactly give me the excuse that the parcel can't be declared for assessment by revenue. So I expect it's just a waiting game now and see if they bother delivering it. I've given the sender a heads up and he assures me everything was filled out correctly too. He even refunded me the UK VAT he charged me. I didn't have to ask. From now I will be avoiding anyone that uses AnPost as a delivery partner.

I paid my VAT on 12th August and it was returned to sender on the 21st. I received no notification, so keep checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MrCouperin

It's interesting that Zenmarket told me just two days ago that they hadn't got any other parcels returned from the EU, that it was just mine. Maybe they're not being honest either?

If you've had parcels delivered, though, maybe this is a question of random chance? That some parcels will get caught and others won't?

I've been in touch with the Japanese seller that shipped our items and they are stating that according to their own research on An Post / Customs websites all that is a required in a CN22 - this is for low value item, less then €30 including shipping cost!

But trying to explain to them that An Post are contradicting their own website by insisting on CN23 (which I believe is only for over €300?) and electronic customs information no matter the value is just leaving the customer stuck as piggy in the middle. I've even sent them the screenshots of conversations with An Post, and the Japanese seller just doesn't understand what the issue is.

Its so frustrating.

Did you check revenue site to see if your parcel was released and did An Post give you a reason for returning it ? For example did they say the forms were not filled out correctly and item could not be presented to customs ? If so, then how did customs clear it then ? Are they accusing customs of lying ? I would be asking them that.

I wonder are An Post outright telling lies and taking peoples money and then returning items regardless or is it a glitch in their process where they are taking the VAT up front, and then presenting to customs but somehow their system is not reading the bar codes correctly ? Also if they are only accepting CN23 Electronic forms (presumably to make their scanning process easier), then how are they communicating this to senders, when CN22 continues to be valid. It's like they are expecting their customers to know their own internal rules and procedures and not giving anyone the chance to address it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

It seems that this in fact a matter for Comreg so if people who are paying the VAT and are still getting their items returned to sender. In other words An Post due to incompetence are returning items even when the recipients have paid the required VAT!!! Fcking disgrace. Anyone in this situation make a formal complaint through An Post’s complaints procedure, get a complaint reference no. and then refer to Comreg.

Unfortunately you have to wait 30 days after making a complaint, then appeal it and wait another 30 days before going to ComReg. Someone posted the process a few pages ago. My guy said he will refund me if item returned so I am not too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Sent as a gift, so under that limit.

No taric required

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Vombata

Re packages from the US; was expecting a parcel from US mailed on 9th August which reached Dublin on 16th but there was no movement after 'Dublin Direct Entry'. Contacted vendor who told me they could not do anything once it hit customs; contacted customs who told me I should contact An Post. No joy from email enquiries to An Post but called them and they were very helpful. They were able to let me know that the parcel was returned to the vendor in the US due to the fact that the customs declaration did not include a TARIC code; all the other information was there but the An Post agent told me that since July this year customs have got much stricter and if anything arrives with insufficient information it will be flagged for return. Surprised with the vendor as they are shipping gear all over the world, but it may have been a simple oversight. It may be worthwhile, if you are purchasing anything outside the EU, to flag to the vendor to include a TARIC code with the declaration to avoid having the package returned to sender.

I'd have guessed but seeing some people on Twitter it still doesn't get through as a low price gift

• Registered Users Posts: 13 deliriousmoonbeam

There's now no exemption for low price items or gifts. Everything is now subject to VAT.

Though that's if An Post even pass your items to Revenue. Most of the returns are being bounced at the doors so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

In response to peoples calls for public action i have so far reported the matter to

Michael Martin

Leo Varadkar

Eamon Ryan

Joe Duffy RTE

Editor Irish Times

Editor Irish Independent

Editor Dublin Journal

Totally ignored in every case.

Reported to

The EU SOLVIT website Response: Sorry we can't help.

Comreg Response: We will help but only when you go through the lengthy process.

Sinn Fein Only emailed them yesterday, awaiting reponse

Guys, the only way this is going to get anywhere is the sheer weight of pressure from us. We need everybody to complain to everyone on the above lists

and anyone else you can think of, and not just once, but constantly, daily, twice daily, etc. until they can't cope with the volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 deliriousmoonbeam

Both myself and my mother have mailed each of these too, along with some additions in the EU, local Sinn Fein reps and committee of public accounts.

When I called An Post, they had no explanation as to why my parcel was returned, and said that it was Revenue that would have returned the parcel. I then receive a response on Twitter or Facebook around an hour later with the copy and paste response about missing Taric number or whatnot.

I wouldn't believe a word of what An Post rep says at the minute, they clearly just want to defuse every situation in the short term and then not have to deal with the consequences. They are basically lying, and now not responding to queries while playing the "delays" card. I think most people here would have no issue with delays as long as the service provided by An Post was not ripping us off

My order has gone from early last week, "we have received your post, your post has been sorted in Dublin mail centre", to today, "we have received your post, your post has been sorted in Dublin mail centre". I took a screen shot. I wonder is this is prelude to it dropping off the tracker and being returned to sender.

As I mentioned earlier i have the email from An Post thanking me from paying my import vat and saying they would be sending it to me, and Revenue website says it was released. So not sure how they might say it was returned as could not be presented to revenue over incomplete forms when Revenue have cleared it.

It also seems excessive having to go through up to 60 days of a complaints procedure before Comreg will take a look.

Hopefully getting worked up over nothing, but I'd imagine that someone with high value goods who has paid vat and had goods returned could consult a solicitor on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Im waiting on stuff since june I ordered from the US and they sent it back from Dublin,no explanation :s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭manna452121

Do people know that: All DHL Parcels in Ireland are delivered by our exclusive partner An Post,from their website.Something to lookout for depending on size of item.I had a camera item from Germany which was transported by DHL to Ireland but delivered by An PostI yesterday,no extra charges 15 euros postage

Advertisement