Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mattie500

The change in EU rules since July has probably changed the way we can source items. There is no problem from within the EU but there are a lot of barriers from outside the EU. Some suppliers (e.g. Amazon) will get their act together and be more reliable. The only items that I get through now are from Amazon UK… what are they doing that is correct or is it that An Post/customs see them as being a trusted supplier/vendor.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There appears to be more going on than that. The exporters are only getting these parcels refused by An Post. Confused as delivered to other EU countries with same paperwork.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

They are listed by An Post as an "An Post Online Retailer" - they have some sort of arrangement in place with An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Reposting as I'd a hiccup with my other one, it was the reply from the board of management email which was answered by other staff on their behalf

I am contacting you in regards to the two items that were returned to sender due to customs declaration errors.

As of the 1st of January 2021, all goods items coming into Ireland from Non-EU countries irrespective of cost are required to have electronic data sent to An Post to enable Irish Revenue to assess the goods and apply custom charges where applicable. 

Unfortunately, the senders of your goods has supplied incorrect data (No Taric Codes on either, item, this is a code used to classify the type of goods sent) and the goods cannot be declared to Irish Revenue for assessment. Your items have now been returned to sender.

It is the sender/retailers responsibilities to become familiar with these new customs processes and should fully submit these details at the time of posting, through their postal service as these details can only be amended by the origin postal service. I would advise that you contact the senders and advise of their error before they attempt to send the items again.

Items being returned are taking a little longer due to the limited availability of flights to certain regions, if this item has not been returned back to the sender in Russia, they will be required to contact their national postal service to initiate an investigation into the whereabouts of the item.

Kind Regards, 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Some can of piss this , I have a course booked for the 16th ( Not refundable ) and I need course materials some I can only get in U.K. and was only given list middle of August so ordered never thinking it might be over a month to arrive. All vat paid at purchase point . Going to be out of pocket hundreds of euro if they don’t arrive..

• Advertisement

I had a delivery arrive from Buyee on 27th of July so don't blame them being confused by it being refused 2 weeks later and another poster this week theirs arrived as mine arrived back in Japan as "refused"

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Vombata

As a follow up to this post, I contacted the vendor in the US; they were surprised and told me they had never been asked for a TARIC code before and did not even know what the TARIC code would be for the item posted. Meanwhile, the package has taken the scenic route back. An Post told me it had been sent from London on 20th August, but the vendor has not received it yet. So bottom line; if you're importing anything outside the EU, make sure the supplier is aware of (a) the need to include a TARIC code in the export documentation and (b) knows the TARIC code for the item.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

You'd wonder if this is a ploy to increase business for their AddressPal service. Funnily enough, every non-EU package I've ordered to AddressPal has been delivered, and every non-EU package I've ordered outside of AddressPal has been returned. Of course, Polar Express always have a CN23 filled out for each delivery when shipping from New Jersey to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ShayNanigan

My parcel from UK arrived today with a CN22 on the envelope and without problems. It seems it's very arbitrary whether these reach their recipient or whether they're sent back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 RollingSun2000

Are we sure AddressPal are unaffected by all this?

There is a lad on twitter who has been waiting 11 days for a comfirmation email after paying the fees on his AddressPal package. Of course, that might have more to do with An Post's customs payment website always crashing (or being "unavailable") and could be affecting the system behind the scenes too.

Am I alone in thinking the problems people are having with paying their fees and the sorting office debacle are somehow connected? I'm seeing people say that their package was returned even after having paid the fees. And that's if they can.

There is also the scam emails and notifications. I received two scam txt messages myself. I don't know if it was just a coincidence, but I got them roughly around the time my packages arrived into Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 deliriousmoonbeam

I am now convinced that there are maybe some employees that are just manually moving packages on regardless. Maybe this is out of the goodness of their hearts, maybe this is because there would otherwise be zero movement of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Just got another packed returned. This is ridiculous. Is there anyone willing to go on radio about it I wonder. Bring it on Joe Duffy or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I saw that on Twitter. Did you see the company in the UK that posted a copy of the label An Post placed on the item returned to them “return to sender not customs compliant item must have electronic CN23”. It appears (I stand to be corrected) that they are looking for a CN23 for everything!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I wonder are they such low value that it would be more expensive to return them?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

It's the same in most jobs of a bureaucratic nature. Some people approach their job with compassion and pragmatism, some mindlessly enforce rules to the letter of the law and some actually zealously enjoy enforcing arbitrary rules with detrimental outcomes.

Is this still accurate after 1 July 2021:

Family and friends gifts

Gifts below the value of €45 (including postage) from non-EU countries do not require any customs or VAT to be paid. Make sure to tell friends and family how to declare this when sending. Gifts over €45 are charged a customs fee paid by the receiver.

No. There's now no exemption for low value gifts. Everything gets VAT applied. That's of course if it even makes it through An Post's iron gates and onto the Revenue's system.

Though not even safe after that in some cases, it seems.

Not only immediately expensive, but the backlog as all of these wait in bags and containers to leave the country is affecting things like letters and passports and outward travelling packages. Its cost is more than € value.

They'd want to update their own customs page so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Incorrect. From revenue website.

Rules for duty relief on gift consignments

You can receive a gift without payment of Customs Duty and Value-Added Tax (VAT) if:

• the value of the gift (including insurance, freight and postage costs) is €45 or less
    • the gift is correctly declared
    • the gift has been sent from a private individual outside the European Union (EU) to a private individual within the EU
    • the gift is for the personal, or family use, of a private individual in the EU
    • there is no commercial or trade element, that is, the goods have not been paid for by the recipient
    • the gift is of an occasional nature only such as a present for a birthday or anniversary.

A gift received may contain two or more items with a combined value of greater than €45. In such cases relief is given for as many of those items as add up to a value not exceeding €45. For example, if you receive a gift containing three items with a value of €20 each, your relief applies to two of the items only. The value of an individual item cannot be split up.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

Interesting thread here: https://sellercentral-europe.amazon.com/forums/t/parcel-wrongly-rejected-by-roi-customs-is-there-a-way-to-claim-postage-from-them/462756/25.

Particularly:

"My Reply from Royal mail is as follows

I was aware they are adding “no CN23” labels on the rejected items. We’ve gone back to An Post asking for clarification as you’re right, CN23s are for items over £270 and CN22s are for items under £270. I’ve checked your electronic customs data compliance level for July and August and it was 100%.

It appears your goods are now not allowed in to Ireland as they are on the Irish customs restricted list (list attached below) The list we have is from An Post, with them stating that’s what they’ve been provided by the Irish customs.

My Reply to RM

The list you sent over is of every HS code available as it runs from 0 to 99, so is implying every product known to man is banned from Ireland? I have just called Irish customs and they told me that our code is not banned and sent me a PDF with items that are restricted and there is no mention of my HS code?

RM reply to me

I think you’re right in that something has been miscommunicated on the other side of the Irish Sea. I’m aware that we are speaking with An Post (Irish postal authority) but so far the feedback we’ve had is that they are working on information provided to them from Irish customs. I’ve shared the feedback you provided after you spoke with Irish customs yourself with our country manager who is leading the conversation with An Post.

I would recommend contacting Amazon about this as we’re a little stuck given the conflict of information coming from the Republic of Ireland (i.e. customs telling you one thing and An Post telling us and doing something different). Honestly, I don’t think this will be a quick fix.

The only other solution I can think of is if you can find an alternate customs code that would still fairly represent the product and that’s not on the exemption list An Post provided us.

The costs won’t be reimbursed to customers unfortunately as we’ve done our bit, the issue lies with Ireland."

Then An Post are actually just thieves and this is a whole new avenue of mess up I hadn't even realized existed. My friend just had to pay 20 odd euro to get a jersey out of them and they weren't accepting that it was a birthday.

How can it just be so broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

It appears to be the fcuk up of all fcuk ups! Wait until the Christmas post begins if people are ordering gifts from outside the EU!!

If they can't determine a CN22 from a CN23, are telling people they owe VAT on gifts, are incapable of telling the truth and have a flaky tracking system with weeks/months of backlog then Christmas is going to certainly be interesting.

What's the difference between the CN22 & CN23? Is there more fields in a CN23? Could a package get sent back from completing a CN23 when only a CN22 was required?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

The issue is beginning to really pick up on Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I don't think AddressPal are affected. I have had 12 packages enter the country since July 1st via AddressPal and all have been received. The only 2 I haven't received were sent directly to me, without AddressPal as a go-between.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

My parcel from Japan was sent on June 24th, before the new rules applied so in my eyes shouldn't be subject to the new rules.

Seller says they did everything right.

I'm still down 130 euro and no item.

Advertisement