Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Autumn 2021 - General Discussion

• 01-09-2021 6:17am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A new general discussion thread for the new season that is upon us.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

Comments

Nice Sunny autumn so far in Arklow

Start as you mean to go on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Happy autumn to all!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Today is same as every day since Sunday, slate grey skies but thankfully it's not as chilly as yesterday. Yesterday (the final day of summer) was perhaps the second coldest day of the summer here in Meath where the temperature did not get above 14C.

While still cloudy it is currently 16C and the wind doesn't feel quite as chilly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cloudy dry and calm here in Castlebar. Nice afternoon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

day 5 of slate grey skies and a very cool wind. Feeling fairly chilly again today, temperture 15C but only feels like 11 or 12C. Heating will be turned on later this evening. This has been a cool crap week. Hopefully the warmer temperatures will materialize by the weekend and into next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭lolie

Dull grey and overcast here today, yesterday was similar but it cleared up after 7pm and stayed like that all night but clouded over again first thing this morning.

Looking at Sat24 it's gonna do the same again this evening.

It got down to 4c at 6am so it felt cold and very autumnal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Another nice morning here in Castlebar. Dry cloudy and calm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭OldRio

Another cloudy day. We've not seen the Sun in over a week. Slight drizzle yesterday afternoon.

Leitrim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Beautifully sunny in West Clare this morning, first time in over a week. At complete odds with the forecast but I'll take it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Lovely sunny morning in the Midlands, has clouded over now though

• Advertisement

Sunny now in Arklow after a cloudy rest of the day

Se breeze 17c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Tis fierce close, fierce.

was a lovely morning here in Meath but back to a thick blanket of cloud once again, feeling fairly mild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Cloudy and very warm since the start of the month here, and still no rain.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,594 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Starting to rain here in west Galway. It has been remarkably dry.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Trying to rain here in the east of the country but failing miserably.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Temperatures up to 27 degrees expected tomorrow, very impressive for September.

what is the record September temp recorded in Ireland, around 30 presumably?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

29.1C in 1906 at Clongowes Wood College (Kildare).

The highest in recent Septembers has been 26.6C on 6 Sep 2016 at Glasnevin (Dublin).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Overcast, but the dry spell continues - fourteen days with no rain whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Overcast on the west cork coast this morning, even though I thought according to reports the sunniest weather would be down here today! Regardless, it's dry and warm and that's the main thing!

• Advertisement

Stunning day again in Dublin 5. So nice and warm and blue skies. Phoenix park at 22 degrees currently warmest reading in the country

Gorgeous sunny afternoon in Arklow also

Currently almost 20c with a super awesome sea breeze

Cloud commenced breaking up here in southern Laois at around 12.30pm, some proper sunny spells now as it continues to burn off. Temperatures rising quickly, now 21 c.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Wish this warm humid muck would ***k right off and let autumn begin.

Many might not agree with that sentiment but im an autumn/ winter fan and always have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Must have got relatively close to the record in early sept 91. Think it got up to around 28c in places during that spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭littlecopilot

Kerry airport reporting 25c with feel like temp with humidity of 30c. Not sure how accurate this is but I'm around 15 miles from airport and it is very warm and humid outside. UK is really warm today hitting 30c

https://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/temperatures.php?region=uk

Post edited by littlecopilot on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I think that was the same spell(1906) that saw 36c recorded in England - which is obviously also an all time Sep max for them

I feel we have plenty of autumnal and winter like weather. It's still only the first week of September. 25c + bring it on!

Was going to say you won't see it until next summer, you mightn't see it til summer 2023. Many a summer never saw 26c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

Long May it last. Sun doesn’t feel as strong now this time of the year which is an added bonus. It’s beautiful.

close to 24 now in Dublin, beautiful day

What an absolute beaut of an evening, south midlands. Great to be alive on an evening like this. T shirt, shorts, so pleasant.

These are the type of days I love. Along with extreme cold. We get way too much of the 8-18C weather Eddie Graham used say predominated in Ireland, in his Dublin weather diary. Cool 8-18c, dry or wet, is what we have 90% of the days of the year. And it's too cool to really enjoy without layers, for me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Such a beautiful day in Kerry, would well believe the temp at Kerry airport, got up to 24.7C here at my site outside Tralee by the coast , it was like the Mediterranean out at Fenit Harbour , the pic below , like a pond with a steady heat. More to come tomorrow, added Fohn effect could give 26 or 27C here, bring it on and maybe thunderstorms overnight into Weds .......bliss !

Seconded. An unwelcome endless extension of that endless, stagnant hell summer of 2021. Not even the faintest hint of a breeze to keep one cooled.

New Moon

Ah lord. We didn't move latitude to the equator this summer!

• Advertisement

We may as well have. But hopefully the next 8 months will have nothing but constant tropical rains. Just like the wind, the rains seem to have abandoned us this year.

New Moon

I think mean average temperatures of 15-17c for July/August are a bit below equatorial.

You'll get the desired rains, of that I have no doubt. And it'll be very enjoyable for you.

The ECM and GFS are going for a late weekend reload of high pressure. Lovely 😎

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. The amount of stagnant warmth over the N. Hemisphere suggests very week atmospheric circulation over the entirety of mid latitudes for the time of year. That hemispheric heat is just building and building with nothing to stir it out of place at all.

New Moon

I'm out now. Our summer mean temps were above average, but nothing too special.

It was cloudy and 14c daytime last week across most of the country. 3-4c below normal.

Mad comparisons with the equator.

Temperatures are running 2 degrees or more above average in this part of the country.

New Moon

• Advertisement

That's nothing new. It doesn't mean we're equatorial.

Temperatures ran 2c above normal in many parts in September 1985, 1991, 2006 etc. Not in the least unprecedented.

This summer has not been this awful jungle inducing sweety event, for the vast majority of us, you suggest.

It's not uncommon to have 20c nights in a summer hot spell. Some of the days you described as sultry etc, were very normal Irish summer days 17-21c. I look at August for Oak Park mean. It was 15.8c, the average is 15.3c! Talk about ordinary month. In 1995 the mean was 18.9c for that location for August.

I don't mean this in a nasty, smart ass way but the way you're describing normal heat seems excessive for me.. Do you feel energetic, your usual self? A thyroid issue can cause one to feel over warm. I had one a few years ago.

I feel grand thanks.

The summer mean temp was only brought down by the coolish June. Nights during July and August ran pretty much consistently way above normal, as they are continuing to do so in this September.

There is nothing 'normal' about this summer. Temps are one thing, but the dewpoints are have been running excessively high for the last 2 months. Wind speeds are way down too and rainy days have been abnormally scant. This scenario might be more 'normal' in the south midlands, but its just bizarre for Galway. It shouldn't be this much of a Herculean effort to get some cooling rains and a breeze.

New Moon

I'm glad you are. Seriously, don't want to see anyone unwell. We're only debating weather. A small issue in the greater scheme. We all feel cold/heat differently.

But I still think you're in a small minority!

This summer felt like many others for me. A nice calm summer windwise, which I witnessed before.

I have to question your claim that temps last week were '2 to 4' degrees below normal. Perhaps day time temps were down on a couple of days (but humidity levels remained high, so it no way would it have felt cold) but even in the south midlands, mean temps still came in above.

(ag report for end of August from Met Eireann)

New Moon

The temperatures last week were rather strange. We had warm enough uppers close to +10C which should get us to the upper teens to low twenties during the final week of August, however because of the relentless week of cloudy conditions, cool onshore northerly/easterly winds, this pegged the temperature well back in the 13 to 16C range for much of last week during the daytime. It was a bit milder than this across the far west of the country but this daytime chill was most noticeable across the east and north.

The upper air temperatures last week were a degree or 2 above normal for late August, but the daytime temperatures were definitely 1 to 3C below average at times, particularly across the north and east of the country. Here in Meath we had a maximum daytime temperature of only 14C last Thursday I think it was and 15C on the Friday. This sort of daytime temperatures would be fairly normal for mid October rather than the end of August.

It kinda reminds me of inversion which takes place during the winter when high pressure is over us with normal enough upper air temperatures, but the temperatures on the ground where we are do not reflect the upper air values and are much cooler than expected.

During the day time. Night cloud cover made up to raise the mean. Felt chilly in the day, of posters here myself and Gonzo commented on it.

I'll do you up a table of daily averages from Kilkenny tomorrow to give you a sense of where current daily temps stand against long term averages.

I find it a crying shame that this epic station was gotten rid of by Met Eireann. Consistent long term dataset that now counts for nothing.

New Moon

I for one was thrilled with the lack of wind this summer, I hate wind, especiallyin the summer. I pity coastal dwellers who have to endure what in my humble opinion is the worst weather element of all.

Agree with the two last posts about Kilkenny Station getting the chop, it was a very interesting dataset. However, StratoQ a member of this forum, but unfortunately rarely gets time to post, runs the Kilkenny climate observation station a little closer to the city centre.

His website is www.kilkennyweather.com and he has a decent twitter feed too.

So all is not lost in the marble city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well for the first time in a couple of weeks we have a cloudless sky. Not sure how long this will last but we'll take it.

Hopefully we might see some warmth today after the dissapointing temps last week.

Leitrim.

• Advertisement
Advertisement