Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Thank you all, in the absence of any other evidence she will henceforth be Elizabeth Mary

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

The sponsor for the baptism of Michael Brady (3rd) seems to me to read Leathe.
    I've never come across this name before.

I'm usually able to figure out scribbles, could someone else help with this name?
    (see attached)

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Rmulvany wrote: »
    The sponsor for the baptism of Michael Brady (3rd) seems to me to read Leathe.
    I've never come across this name before.

I'm usually able to figure out scribbles, could someone else help with this name?
    (see attached)
    Looks like Cathe Hartneady? - same surname as the mother. I haven't come across that surname before.

KildareFan wrote: »
    Looks like Cathe Hartneady? - same surname as the mother. I haven't come across that surname before.

I've been reading through the NLI copies and it's been used in plenty of other names, it does seem to be a C, and the more I see it the more I think yes it's shorthand for Catherine.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Have moved these above 3 posts into the handwriting thread.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The C is the same as the placename Caher______ further up.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I am fascinated by names I've never heard of, like Hartneady. Mr. Genealogy knows all about it though.

https://www.johngrenham.com/surnamescode/grogeochart_full.php?surname=Hartneady

I am fascinated by names I've never heard of, like Hartneady. Mr. Genealogy knows all about it though.

https://www.johngrenham.com/surnamescode/grogeochart_full.php?surname=Hartneady

I hadn't realized it was that uncommon of a name. Saying that, I only have 1 so far in my tree.

Does anybody have any tips for searching Clare records (pre-1865)?
    I have roots, Irish genealogy etc but the Clare record availability is poor

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Rmulvany wrote: »
    I hadn't realized it was that uncommon of a name. Saying that, I only have 1 so far in my tree.

Does anybody have any tips for searching Clare records (pre-1865)?
    I have roots, Irish genealogy etc but the Clare record availability is poor

https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/genealogy/genealog.htm

I know it's tough but please keep this thread for handwriting queries only.
    If you want to start a new thread about Clare records, Hermy or I will happily move the above.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Can anyone read the name of the female sponsor in this baptism? Annie ------? Right-hand page, 3rd from the bottom. From FindMyPast NY Catholic records. Gerr? Girr? Gun? Not a name I recognize.

I can't zoom it up, Virginia.

If you post the url, people with a subscription can look.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Annie Goor?

Wasn't sure the best way to do this but here is the link to image 9 of 596 baptism images for Transfiguration RC Parish in NY NY (Manhattan). Baby is Patrick Quinlan. Right-hand page, 3rd from the bottom. Thanks, PinkyPinky, for the suggestion. And thanks BowWow for the interpretation.

https://search.findmypast.com/record/browse?id=s2%2fus%2fnew_york%2fdrive_21%2f0035%2froll_757%2f00011

And here's the tinyurl--

https://tinyurl.com/3ryfjhdf

It looks like Gevr when I zoom it up.

Genealogy Forum Mod

So I don't have a url to link to here because this is a paid for record from the UK GRO. I'm look for help with 2 things please:

Cause of death: malignant disease of ? ?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Pinkypinky, yours looks to me like "Collector for a Mission of 2 Tolmer Square Pancras".

Thanks for your suggestion for my mystery name. It will be an Irish name but is certainly not a common one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Peritoneum for cause of death?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yes, thanks agree on Virginia's suggestion and Hermy's but there's another word after it e---h--a?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Something hernia?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Maybe?!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ambros1a

Alternative spelling of Asthenia (weakness / fatigue often in people with cancer) perhaps? https://www.cancer.gov/publications/dictionaries/cancer-terms/def/asthenia

Certainly possible: thanks.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yes, asthenia looks right.

What I thought was an E is maybe just a squiggle before the A.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Elizabetha

Hi, would be grateful for any help to figure out the name of the person who is recorded as comon law wife of David Skerritt on the attached record.

https://buried.fingal.ie/wp-assets-bif/uploads/register-scans/St_Fintans_1973_1_097.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭stopthevoting

I think it looks like Mrs Anne Mc Donagh

Agreed.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Looks like someone with a light touch when they wrote this one, looking at line 10 marriage of Albert A Wayte and Mary M Dolan, particularly the occupations of Albert and his deceased father.

Any thoughts welcome

Right, the Dad says garage proprietor - which ties in with this death: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1924/05025/4373793.pdf

Albert - manager of XXX waggon Co. I suggest looking in trade directories for the period.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

'British'?

Advertisement