Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitz's Youtube Channel

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Indeed. Cyclingtourist it's pretty clear now you do like to throw digs at Fitz and I can give plenty of examples over the last few pages and yep the snide can go the other way too at times, but in the majority of cases by way of response. I've largely ignored it of late hoping against hope some grown up thinking would phase out this frankly childish ballsology, but it seems the softly softly approach isn't having the desired outcome. So no more. It leaves a bad smell around the place.

Cyclingtourist dial the snide back please. If you have an issue with each other for christ knows what reason, then simply don't respond on thread. If one can't say anyhting nice, then don't say anything. That's a basic tenet we should all live by. It's really very simple. Or should be.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

This is what I posted regarding 'honesty'.

"Fitz touts them as his honest opinion and I've no doubt that's what he believes but how honest can anyone genuinely be if they are reviewing a friend's expensive watch or one you've just sold to an acquaintance?"

I acknowledged your good faith regarding the content but questioned whether someone reviewing a watch in certain circumstances would not be subject to unconscious bias, a tendency to pull ones punches.

You choose to misrepresent what is plain English to base a personal attack on me and my motives. I'm only replying to this post of yours because you have moderated your tone somewhat.

This is the last I will be posting now but I will continue to post my considered opinions when and where I like subject to the moderation same as everyone here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭scwazrh

As usual I’m agreeing with you Banie. There really has been a strong confrontational tone here for the last while. It’s ridiculous when you remember we’re probably in the nerdiest corner of boards but it is does come across as one or two posters wanting to be the big fish in a little pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Another first look vid of Unkle Panerai - I have a 5 euro bet on here so lets see if I win.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭893bet

It’s looks massive besides the BLNR. But does look relatively tidy on the wrist. I could never wear it and not into PAMs but it’s very nice really.

The wave pattern, is that not just a case back sticker? Seems bizarre to hide the movement.

• Advertisement

The movement is nice with perlage and brushing. But the plates are so big that the stickers are there to hide the vast area. If they had taken a Lange approach and done a coute de geneve, or a omega style unique pattern on the flat surfaces it would have looked mega. It's a nice movement with polished bevels and even one internal bevel so some effort went in, but they bottled it with the wave pattern. It's all machine finished but really that's not important. It's not a removable sticker.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kostal2093

My understanding is that the dial with its deep blue/black colour is to reflect the depths of the sea as if looking down from a boat while the back with the wave pattern etchings on the inside of the sapphire crystal is to reflect the surface waves. Obviously some person in marketing thought it was a great idea but it does ruin the visibility of the movement. The P4002 movement is partially obscured by this wave pattern also which is a real pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

• Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That's nice, and it's got a GMT!

Actually on the topic of Panerai's newer GMT's? Is it true that there's no quick set date, rather that you advance the jumping hour to advance the date?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kostal2093

That is correct Banie. On the automatic 946 version, the date is set (back or forward) by the jumping local hour hand but the second hand continues as normal - so time setting is unaffected. However, there is the added feature of a 'zero reset seconds' and not just 'hacking' when you wish to change the time by pulling the crown out to the second position. A really brilliant feature as also seen on the ALS Sax-O-Mat.

• Advertisement

You showed that dial & Crystal very well.Really is a great example of Panerai but I think that strap is letting it down ,looks a lot nicer on a blue rubber or leather .

Toshi black leather with ecru stitching is on the way to me. Cork strap is scheduled for production. Numerous other straps no doubt will follow 😃

Patek Aquanaut 5167R

That is gorgeous I want one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭dakar

I enjoyed that. If there’s one Rolex that could make me jump on the train, this is it.

It's a gorgeous look but whether it's worth the money is only something each individual can decide for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭dakar

As with every single discretionary purchase we make.

I read ‘The Undercover Economist’ by Tim Harford years ago and one thing really stuck with me. Every time we spend €3.00 of a coffee or whatever, we are making a value judgement, consciously or otherwise, that there is nothing else in the world we would rather do with that €3.00. Same goes for a €3k purchase or a €10k one.

I’m lucky enough to have a degree of disposable income. I could buy a Rolex. I have chosen not to so far as there are other things I can do with the money.

Currently Nikon D6’s are calling me. There are some self evident differences between a D6 and a Milgauss. One, the D6, is a genuine step forward from what I have currently, but will be worth very little financially in a few years. The Milgauss is functionally no different to what I currently have, but will likely hold its value fairly well. So different value prospects.

21st century middle class white boy problems…

Post edited by dakar on

Dakar quote:

"I read ‘The Undercover Economist’ by Tim Harford years ago and one thing really stuck with me. Every time we spend €3.00 of a coffee or whatever, we are making a value judgement, consciously or otherwise, that there is nothing else in the world we would rather do with that €3.00. Same goes for a €3k purchase or a €10k one."

Yes but. As you go up the purchase scale you tend to put more thought into it, unless you're seriously wealthy that is. This from someone who consciously has something to eat and drink before leaving the house so that I won't feel the need to visit cafés.

It's quite an objective one actually. If you have money in a current or savings bank account or on deposit, doing very little for you, it's probably wiser to stick it into a Rolex like this Milgauss instead. It's well priced for a sports Rolex. You can very easily cash it in again within days anywhere in the world. You put it all risk on your home insurance, so literally all risks are covered from loss to theft. The only risk you have is that the watch would depreciate. It is almost certain that it won't.

And you get to wear a beautiful and classy watch. Basically for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭893bet

As Rolex go I think it’s smashing. Too thick for me but the dial is special in comparison of the typical sterile sports Rolex.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RMDrive

I would like to read more posts like this. Each one helps build the mental justification to myself.

LOL, you're welcome! I wouldn't post it if I wasn't 100% behind what I said though. Maybe that helps.

Yes this is the familiar argument, wear a Rolex for 'free' (unless you damage it) before effortlessly flipping it. Thanks but I will keep my money in the bank and my Omega AT on my wrist, it's my subjective choice.

I bet you stay away from that fool’s gold cryptocurrency as well CT

As I said, the home insurance covers all risks. Remember that hitemfrank dropped his (mine) (Fitz's) Milgauss and he faced a €1400 bill? Covered by his insurance.

Your Omega is lovely and you've come a long way on this crazy journey. Don't be surprised if at some point you will want a Rolex though. Yeah you will now say never, but that's what I said about 5 years ago too 😂

So insurance all ways pays up and when you sell you'll always get what you paid and cover your costs? I'm a bit sceptical but that's just me. Anyway even though the Milgauss is nice it's not for me.

You have to have the watch as a specified all risk item on your insurance. They will look for a valuation on it. Before I had expensive watches, the only thing listed was my wife's engagement ring. One day the diamond went missing, and yes the insurance company paid out without any hassle. And yes buy a relatively cheap Rolex sports watch like that Milgauss and it is very unlikely it will go down in value over time.

• Advertisement

Right, so say it's a hot day and you're in your sports car with the top down and you take off the sub, putting it on the passenger seat. A while later you stop and leave the car for a minute to take a couple of snaps of the beautiful view and upon returning there's no sign of the sub. So the insurance won't say you should have locked it in the boot?

Advertisement