Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitz's Youtube Channel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Do you find the Daytona very small on the wrist ? Last time I tried one on (i had no intention of buying ) I was very surprised at how small it is, even compared to an OP39 it felt dainty, not for me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,476 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Weirdly tho, easier to buy than the stainless version and cheaper in the main on the secondary market than a PM ceramic Daytona.

The SS Ceramic bought anywhere other than retail is the bling-bling watch these days IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Yeah but you have a problem, there is nothing with the good look (the precious Daytona certainly is a looker) and horological chops that you dont already have below about 50k.

I dont find them small at all, but I am very used to them. I think they wear a true 40. By no means a big watch. The OP dial is bigger and some people are tuned to see dial. I think in the precious metal they wear bigger cause there is a lot of colour, also the matching dial colour makes the watch appear bigger. I found the black dial SS version wears quite small.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,780 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's a lovely watch. Not sure about the Oysterflex strap though. I'm sure it is excellent but rubber on a blingy watch just doesn't work for me. Makes it look cheap. But I guess a solid rose gold bracelet would add several grand to the price 😁

• Advertisement

My aquanaut disagrees with you 😆. Its the same a a jubilee on a sports watch (batgirl), or a leather strap on a diver (cough Panerai cough)...its a juxtaposition that says the wearer likes a bit of flash and/or formality, but is maintaining some semblance of youth and modesty. A full yellow or rose bracelet watch is a bold statement, that mostly says "I am from Miami". And in Rolex land a 10 grand extra. There is more gold the the clasp of the OF Daytona than in most precious dress watches. I have to say as a watch to wear, a rubber strapped watch is the most comfortable. Quick to dry, hygienic choice for me.

Agree with you on that . I’ve a couple of rubber straps for my Panerai which are good for swimming or hot weather but not a hope I would buy a €30K+ Rolex on rubber .

That said though the aquanaut is stunning on the rubber .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

I was sold on precious on rubber when I saw this in the local AD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

It's not just ordinary rubber, it's titanium rubber.

1 character

• Advertisement

Right so it's not rubber it's 'high-performance elastomer'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

Do you think Fitz is responsible for the Rolex marketing material?

You are stuck in everything Fitz. Fair play. No wonder so many admire you aground here.

Elastomer and Rubber are often used interchangeably as anything that has "rubber like" properties. However rubber correctly is an elastomer that has been vulcanised. I would assume that the rolex "rubber" is not vulcanised and hence they use the more correct term elastomer. The high performance bit I assume its related to the fact it properties are superior to some inferior elastomers. Hope that helps.

I'm no fan of the Aquanaut, it doesn't do anything for me. Not on metal and not on rubber. Now a full rose gold bracelet Daytona, there is something to behold. Maybe I should move to Miami 😁

But when your into big watches a Daytona feels the same size as a euro coin on your wrist.

once you’ve your Panerai you’ll laugh at a Daytona !

LOL yeah I would never wear a Daytona. Beautiful classic design and stunning in rose gold in particular. And relatively good value in precious metal compared to the just ludicrously valued steel. But it wears small and is more suited for a man with a smaller wrist. Or of course for a female wearer!

See thats the point. Its go nothing to do with wrist size or gender really, we all have wrists within a inch of each other, its preference (I stile maintain a 36mm explorer is too small). You have to own it and say proudly "I am into big watches" not some excuse that you are somehow an extra ordinary human. This is what "buy what you like" actually means

I guess there are certain anatomical variations between wearers that require a watch of a certain size to compensate for. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

The other thing about different sizes of watches is how perception changes, if you remove and panerai and put on a daytona it'll feel dainty, wear it for a week and that goes away.

Then you put the panerai back on and it feels unwieldy, leave it a while and you get used to it.again.

Fitz: You have to own it and say proudly "I am into big watches" not some excuse that you are somehow an extra ordinary human. This is what "buy what you like" actually means

Im not following you there —

Agree wrist size is similar with the majority of us that it is a preference as opposed to an individuals size.Ive said “when you’re into big watches “ which Would have been more accurate to say “when you prefer big watches “

“The extra ordinary human being “ Do you mean you feel wearing a larger watch has you compensating for other short comings ?

The underling argument with these type of watches is that you don't have to like them because 'inevitably' you will be able to get your money back plus something extra whenever you need/want to sell it. To me it's just a very expensive egg-timer but to others it's worth every penny because people will always want one. I'm old enough to remember people being advised to 'put your money into bank shares', guaranteed if unspectacular growth, the proverbial 'money in the bank'. No one, or at least very few, foresaw the crash. If that's some old foggy talking then look at Afghanistan where no one saw the almost immediate collapse of the apparently well armed and trained conventional army.

As regards this review I found it funny that Fitz was pointing out the 'milled clasp', something that you get on virtually any bracelet watch costing over €500, or that it's a 'column wheel' chronograph when you get one in a Seagull 1963 for €200.

Fitz touts them as his honest opinion and I've no doubt that's what he believes but how honest can anyone genuinely be if they are reviewing a friend's expensive watch or one you've just sold to an acquaintance?

• Advertisement

@Fitz II "I guess there are certain anatomical variations between wearers that require a watch of a certain size to compensate for."

I guess our friend Trump has a massive langer so 🤣

I mention the movement because you asked me to before (quoted above), have you changed your mind? A milled clasp on a precious metal watch is more of a novelty as milling is more wasteful of metal than pressing or casting. It is a stronger clasp also as you can optimise the properties of the metal rather than needing ductility or castability. Your views on the Rolex bubble or not are not terribly well researched, but your ire at the brand is noted again and again and again. I wont be doing any more cheap watches really like Seagulls, they bore me and hold no value to me, or it would seem the people watching my reviews.

I take a lot of umbridge that you would suggest I am not being honest. Have I ever given you reason to think I sugar coat my opinion, or that I am somehow too shy to tell somebody to their face their watch sucks balls. I point out the failing in my own quick enough and these are the ones I am emotionally invested in. I had issues with Unkles Deepsea, I had issues with another friends Seamaster. I have issue with a number of watches, I dont however have much issue with a precious metal daytona cause its a flipping excellent watch, and its only personal preference that you can sites as to its value. The only person round here I pussy foot around it you, cause you are a bit of a crazy troll, and seem to be unable to take any pleasure in anyone else's watches unless they conform to your ideas of value. I just assume its a form of begruggery. My feinds though know that I take a genuine pleasure in their watches and achievements, and would be quick to guide them if I though they were mistepping. Many on here will attest to this, and do the same for me.

I would respectfully suggest if my reviews annoy you that you stop watching them, and stop reading this thread. It will be better for us both. You are of course free to do as you wish, and as wibbs allows but this passive aggressive bullshit needs to stop. I am a good contributor to the forum and really dont deserve this crap from you.

Over and out.

Think this is what I said in relation to your Air King review.

"What about the movement? What about the 'wristshot' where you share your wrist-size?"

I haven't changed my mind about your Air King review.

Ah no I am only joshing Unkle...My point is that we often say we have big or small wrists to excuse wearing the size watch we want. I think just wear the size watch you want and dont bother with the excuse. I posted a survey of wrist size previously on old boards that showed that people vastly over or underestimate the size of their wrist and that we all mostly fall into the 6.5 to 7.5 inch spectrum. Just buy the size you like, as Cyrus says you will get accustomed to it quickly. Its mostly the change we notice.

Unkle yes Trumps is a massive langer alright 😁

Post edited by Fitz II on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Banie has often commented that this is the nicest corner of boards. You seem intent on changing that, Fitz has show remarkable restraint in dealing with you so far to be honest. Whatever your issue is just come out with it instead of this passive aggressive sniping.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,476 ✭✭✭✭banie01

100% agree with this. So many little digs and sleights thrown and going on months at this point. It detracts from threads and puts a confrontational tone on much of what follows IMO.

And I say that as someone who has shoved his own size 12 into his gob a couple of times in here 😉

Ok let me get this straight. So fitz didn’t mention the movement in the air king review…..and you offered “constructive criticism” it for the lack of detail of not providing the movement detail?

Then in the Daytona “review” (review in commas as it was not a review really rather a first impressions) Fitz did mention the movement and you criticise his review for mentioning the movement then as the movement is nothing special.

right…..makes sense…..the only constant is you moaning really.…but at least you are consistent with that

So you've extended/edited your initial mild response into a personalised rant against me. I don't respond to personalised attacks here or on any other forums.

I see no rant. Or personal attack. I see a measured response. The fact that it is edited makes no difference and it is a strawman to try and twist it that way.

I see some one unwilling to respond as they know that based on the responses from others here that everyone can see the constant childish sniping.

Trying to gain the moral high ground as you have done now brings the lols though.

• Advertisement

I only edited because you cannot multiquote across pages and I want the original suggestion from page 3 that I include movement detail in the reviews. That you got a reply in between the 10 minutes it took me to type my response means nothing. Now after months of snid comments you have finally gotten a rise out of me. (Calling me dishonest is too far for me) Here is your platform and say what you want to say, we are all adults allegedly. Dont play hard done by now its unbecoming. If you are unwilling to stand by your comments, it would be maybe best you dont make them. Attention on you now sir, that was the intention wasnt it?

Advertisement