Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,566 ✭✭✭✭briany

RTE is sorely in need of financial restructuring, IMO, but not being folded altogether. Anyone cheering on the latter is being pretty short-sighted because we're now in a world where everyone has their own customised singlular experience when it comes to the media they consume and chucking RTE would be to get rid of one of the last halfway shared thing amongst the general public.

My thought is that it should be funded purely by the TV license and the relevant cuts be made so that would work. If that means that Ryan Turbridy leaves to try his hand at cracking the UK market and that the channel can only broadcast for 10 hours a day, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We can't lose the RTE News Now, otherwise how are we going to get those little titbits of info about Love Island and other such important things in life?

Nothing "short sighted" about calling for it to be disbanded..... the "open" market, quality, pay-per-view, all these options should be looked at......its a joke to keep it just trolling along as it is....... like an old dog with terminal cancer sooner or later someone HAS to make the call......... it's a national disgrace........I certainly wouldn't miss it in its current ridiculous form

• Registered Users Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But you know doing that would decimate RTE's income and it would be forced to gut all the 'worthy' stuff like drama and documentaries and you'd end up Virgin 1-2. Okay if you're a hardcore libertarian free marketeer you might shrug your shoulders and say "Fine, the public gets what the public wants" but we don't have any political parties with that outlook so it's hard to see how that proposal could be advanced.

Exactly, no political party wants to be 'associated' with Montrose..........everyone can see the bigger picture, it's a failed model that continues to fail.......im all for " the public gets what public wants"........but this system definitely Isn't what vast majority of public "wants". IMO there hasn't been anything on the in last few years deserving of a tax/ fee of €160. Pay per view is the way forward for ALL broadcasting providers.....if it's good enough it'll flourish. If I go to a nice restaurant with Mrs Mc carthy & the bill comes to €80, fair enough, but if the waitress says " oh it's actually €160 because tommy& Mary at table 7 had a couple bottles wine.......... why should I be on the hook/ taxed for something I never wanted/ asked for/ benefited from"???? Ultimately, political will will cease greasing the 'hand that's out' & Montrose will devour itself......personall, I believe the sooner the better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Exactly, no political party wants to be 'associated' with Montrose.

I don't know how you got that from my post when my point was pretty much the exact opposite. No party wants to be advocating the effective evisceration of RTE, which is what a move to pay per view would mean in practice. If a politician was arguing for a move to that model and it was put to them that it would mean taking an axe to arts, documentaries, Irish language programming etc., that politician, if they were being honest, would have to be prepared to shrug their shoulders and say "The public gets what the public wants." And no political party wants to be tarred as anti-intellectual and philistine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

"Now taking an axe to arts, documentaries, Irish language programming etc."

Pretty much already happened. You could ad Drama, comedy and children's TV to that list also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Old dog with terminal cancer is going to be a guest on the late late show. One of the "fun" episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,283 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

And as soon as they bring the dog out, they'll interview the owner, ask about the dog's life... then bring out the vet who will then put the dog to sleep. 😭😭😭

Followed by Una Healy and Nathan Carter singing a cover of the Sarah McLachlan track 'I will Remember You'... but butchering it beyond belief.

When Will Leahy and Rick O'Shea got "too old" for 2fm, they got moved to online station RTE Gold but they were kept on the same wages as they had on 2fm, despite RTE Gold having no audience measure and no advertising income coming in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 rocjohn

Freedom of expression also implies Freedom to ignore media content.

Failure to pay the TV License can mean a prison sentence.

The Gulagging of citizens in prison for refusing to pay a tv license is an egregious attack on freedom of expression ...the freedom to oppose media content propogated by RTE and considered objectionable by some people ,by refusing to pay for it is an act of expression and should be free from the threat of imprisonment.

Therefore all of RTE' content is propoganda as refusal to pay for it means imprisonment by the state. Anyone who refuses to pay a tv license and ends up in prison in Ireland is therefore a Political Prisoner ( regardless of any other motive ascribed to them whether true or not).

The link between RTE and the TV license and imprisonment is such that no Public Service Broadcasting exists in Ireland . RTE is a State Broadcaster and therefore a propaganda tool of the State.

That's it in a nutshell.............rte is just another arm of the state.......I don't watch it, abhor & avoid the biased 'superstars ' on megabucks , but if I don't lay down my €160 fee/ tax every year I'm liable to go off to the jailhouse......... it's a totally unsustainable model/ it's a farce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

To expand a bit.

Ryan *interspersed with light fake laughter* :

So we've just injected your old faithful pal for the last 18 years with the blue stuff live on air. Your pal that has been your life and indeed once saved your life when he dragged you out of the river that day. So he's gone now. How does that make you feel?

I am pro-PSM/PSB (Public Service Media/Broadcasting)

I agree that the system of collection must be changed, however...

This does not mean I think a blank cheque should be written for RTÉ. Before any extra money goes to RTÉ, RTÉ must reform and show its PSB/M ethos.

Most of this reform must come from the top of RTÉ. None have really taken a look at their own expenses, in the last decade the Executive board on average had expenses of €53,000 (that could provide RTÉ News Now with a proper scheduler/editor, or even a wage for a TV newsreader).

Here is a company for the last 10 years who have consistently had their cap in hand. Yet in 2016 the current DG was given €50,000 in moving fees and in 2020 the head of news had expenses of €10,000 ... 2020... 2020 you know the year no one could move beyond 5 **** km.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Who's got a Ryan Tubridy sized hole in their Friday nights?????

As expected, we'll get to see Ryan asking CNN's Donie O'Sullivan what it was like during the insurrection..... and what does he miss about home (getting turned down by RTÉ obviously).

then, as expected, we'll have our Olympic hero's on to discuss.... the Olympics....

and in a surprising turn, Boy George will be on to talk about his new show on Virgin Media... but Ryan, a master of his craft, will keep that on the down low and keep the chat Irish/RTÉ.

and for you fans of misery, we'll have Dolores O'Riordan's mother on, as well as Sophie Toscsn du Plantier's son on to talk about their deceased relatives....

FRIDAY NIGHT: ENTERTAINMENT SORTED.

..and lets not forget the competition where you can win €10,000. all you have to do is answer the following question;

Who hosts the Late Late Show?

A. Jose Mourinho

B. Ryan Tybridy

C. General Charles de Gaulle

calls/texts cost €2 per entry.

I like to bitch & whinge about all them direct debits outta my account.........just reading that post I must STOP bitching about the Netflix one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Some pretty excellent content on the TG4 player that interests me. I heard a radio interview this week and the director general is Scottish so he certainly wasn't a relation or connected.

I think TG4 do a superb job on a small budget. How about a gutting at RTE and bring the TG4 management across, hell give them a pay rise and they will still be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

....and he told us he was going to dial up the fun.

That man is sick if he considers that line-up as fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

From The Irish Times:

"The Department of Social Protection has suggested the employment records of more than 500 current and former RTÉ contractors “may need to be investigated” to see if PRSI contributions should have been paid. Laura Slattery reports that in a briefing note for senior officials in mid-July, the department said it was “conscious of the resource-intensive nature” that these individual investigations – which could involve detailed interviews with the affected people – would have for both the department and RTÉ."

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Audit the corrupt cesspit of nepotism now.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,283 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

'Embrace the light'... meanwhile the Late Late show band have been given the axe.

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/7524994/late-late-house-band-gets-axe-favour-musical/

Gotta love the 'uplifting' story of a band who got fired, during a pandemic, and now must look for a new gig.

But Ryan's on TikTok... how do you do fellow kids...?

The Late Late show is a disgusting circle jerk at this stage. Poor Gay Byrne must be turning in his grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Jaysus, how much was it to hire 4 or 5 lads to play music for less than 3 hours once a week? I'm sure they could have been kept on if Tubs didn't demand so much for his "talent".

Knowing RTÉ, the band were probably on around €60k a year.... for that 3 hours a week (where in reality they probably only played for 3 minutes of that 3 hours...)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

All middle aged white men. We can't be having that. Bad for optics.

He had been either head of TG4 sport or head of programming previously, he then moved back to Scotland to head up BBC ALBA, before returning as DG. There are some questions for TG4 but those questions are overshadowed by the wasteland that is RTÉ. RTÉ2 should be able to provide the amount of home produced programming TG4 provide, RTÉ2 can't even provide news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

RTE taking the piss with reeling in the years.It must be on it's third run by now, at least and TG4 are doing the same with their version. Lads, time to pull the plug. Running it once is fine, running it three times is taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Third? It's on a f###ing loop, every summer and then every Saturday if the Big Movie is 90minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 81,499 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I just saw a new ad for RTÉ’s latest show…. How to sell big expensive fancy homes…….

Finger.

Pulse.

• Advertisement

I wonder has Ray Darcy's pay been cut since his Saturday night show was quietly axed

Advertisement