Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solheim Cup 2021

• 03-09-2021 11:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭

Just watching the opening ceremony. Looking forward to watching the golf over the weekend. Love watching professional women's golf.

I wouldn't consider myself a fashion guru by a stretch but the USA team outfits at the opening ceremony 😧

Didn't realize it's the Karsten Solheim Cup, called after the founder of Ping Golf. (Ping Karsten putters).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭Scrabbel

Leona and Mel Reid playing the Kordas. What a start!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Leona Maguire paired with Mel Reid from England against the Korda sisters in Saturday foursomes. Should be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Tough draw for leona against the korda's.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,720 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Maguire is bailing her partner out an awful lot here

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Live on YouTube for those of us without SSports, Maguire playing well alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Maguire making some pressure putts today. Doesn't look phased at all by the occasion.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Leona was so clutch on the putts all morning. Clutch everywhere, she played great

And thats not bias at all. She was by far the better player of the two

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Nice early lead for Europe after the first session. All matches went to the final hole, so very narrow margins.

• Advertisement

With Georgia Hall in the final fourball. Clearly established already as a big player on the team.

Yeah she did well to keep it going. Very tiring to keep being given 3/4 foot putts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,479 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Happened on 4th hole, but Leona made an outrageous birdie putt for a half. Seems to be playing well based on twitter, the little I've been able to watch

I'm glued to it on Sky Sports Golf. I haven't even looked for a leaderboard for the Tour Championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭paulos53

Not too clever from Sagstrom. Gifting USA the hole by picking up the ball while it is overhanging the hole

Shenanigans there, silly by European player to pick ball up so quickly as don't think it was going to fall in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Never seen that before! Seemed harsh but fair, Europeans arguing ball wasn't overhanging the lip. Looked to be from the tv angle anyway. Rookie error.

Yeah correct decision schoolgirl error.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Overhanging enough to warrant the rule being enforced, don't think it was in Amy danger of falling in so very annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Not the first time USA pull Europe on a win at all cost rules

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

The commentator on Sky can't let it go. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

So stupid to pick that up. It wasn’t falling in, don’t believe it was overhanging either but what was she at?! Americans couldn’t wait to call in the referee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭blackcard

Nelly Korda certainly didn't think it was going in but that doesn't matter, rule is clear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Well the rule is clear that it has to be overhanging the hole, which I don’t think it was

The USA were furious in 2015 when Suzanne Peterson called a penalty when an American player picked up a ball presuming it had been conceded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Was a fair decision I think, but it was entirely the officials who called it. Korda herself didn't seem ecstatic about it, I don't believe the US team had any hand in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,784 ✭✭✭Trampas

It’s bull. Ruling like that should only happen based on a player calling it

define hanging over the hole? 1 dimple?

• Advertisement

What an utterly pointless decision. The Americans didn't complain about it, the ball was never going to drop. Baffled anyone would be supporting the decision at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭big_drive

Stupid rule, ball was never going in. But I would say by letter of law it was a correct call.

Must say, away from the call, some outrageous golf being played. Particularly putts

The outer edge of the ball was just inside the line of the cup. But quite doubtful that any part of the base of the ball was overhanging; we just don’t have a hi-def enough view to see that. But Sagstrom should never have rushed to pick up tge ball - made it look as if she thought there was a chance it might move. Korda obviously wasn't thinking that though.

Greetings at the end of that match were restrained

Not sure why Sky only seem willing to show 1 match per hour

• Advertisement

Was never going to go into the hole but technically correct

Georgia Hall is quality. Wonder will we see them together again tomorrow, maybe in afternoon again?

Great days golf, think it was 6 out of 8 matches went to 18th.

Correction: it was 7 out of 8!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

So proud of Leona, ice water in the veins. Great bit of matchplay all around today from Europe, put the American big guns in the back phóca all day. Let's hope the momentum keeps going.

Common sense should prevail and no ref make a call like that.

Not blaming the US players, but if thinking clear they might have called it an accepted gimme and the hole tied.

The ball had zero chance of dropping.

The post match interview was awful though. Sagstrom talking about the abuse she got from the crowd for picking up the ball was horrible.

I never knew about that rule in matchplay myself. I'm pretty sure in matches if my opponents ball has died on the lip, I've been straight over to pick it up to concede the putt. You learn something new every day

• Advertisement

You don't know that for sure, it was very close. There's no excuse for not knowing the rule. As soon as I saw it I knew there would be trouble was a silly thing to do and has cost her team on the scoreboard.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Played very well on her debut and made some great putts. That putt on 18 in the foursomes was real pressure.

I did think she seemed to run out of gas towards the end of the fourball so it will be interesting to see if she is rested this morning.

She was great in the foresomes in particular, a format that doesn't suit everyone, so I would be giving her the afternoon off and hopefully the leaderboard will be still ticking along nicely by then.

Draw for the morning.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

The lads on sky comm were actually laughing and joking about it as it happened, how quick she was to step in to pick up the ball. "Ooh, she's not hanging about there, is she?" "You can have that one" etc.

I do feel sympathy for her. But letter of the law, as someone said earlier. She made a judgement about the situation that wasn't really hers to make and earned a very harsh lesson.

Thought she might get a rest in the morning but great she's out again. Another tough one, but all the pressure on the home pairing.

Ah come on. We do know for sure. That ball was never going in the hole. Look at the picture for god sake, you'd need to change the laws of physics for that to drop.

Regardless even if its only 1% chance, we've all seen putts stay on the lip and drop in. She only had to wait 3 more seconds. She obviously thought there was a chance why else would she rush in it was a very odd thing to do.

Tough lesson to learn. You really should never be touching an opponents ball in matchplay.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

In fairness, there was zero % chance of the ball going into the hole. Physics doesn't work like that

I agree that there was 0% chance of the ball dropping but 100% chance that she broke the rule. It was a tough break but whether or not the ball was ever going to fall was not going to get her off. It was judged to be overhanging the edge if the cup so she had to allow for that by waiting for 10 seconds.

There are many rules in golf where the punishment doesn’t fit the crime and this is just another.

• Advertisement
Advertisement