Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just hit 100 deaths in Spelunky 2. Can't.... stop..... playing..... 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Picked up Skyward Sword this week. Enjoyed it first time round, but was never a huge fan of the start of the game. Through all that now and I'm just finished the first proper dungeon. Forgot how good the dungeons were in this game. Using the right stick for sword and not sure about it, seems a bit hit and miss. Not sure I want to do motion controls either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

I am at about the same point as you. The controls are absolutely killing me. There was a period in the middle of Nintendo history where they had no idea how to make 3d games.

I was playing dual stick FPS games on PS2 and PS3 while Nintendo was building this shite. I love Zelda games but the controls of the 3d offerings are shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The right stick for sword control in skyward sword takes some getting used to. You'll get used to it. My problem now is every game I press the shoulder button and move the stick to try to move the camera.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just so as you know, they did pioneer both console analogue control and using that to move characters in 3D space a lot more effectively than the competition.

That said, this was mostly 3rd person, Mario 64, 1080° Snowboarding, Waverace 64 and so on.

In addition to this, the greatest FPS of that console generation was on the N64, Goldeneye, with more control options than you could shake a stick at.

The DualShock 2 and 3 were from the following generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Picked up Skyward Sword after a few people mentioned it here. Really enjoying it so far. Only about an hour in but already sucked in. It's keeping me up late 😁

Post edited by xckjoo on

I'm not sh1tting on Nintendo's legacy or the advancements they have made. But Golden Eye was 1997, Skyward Sword was 2011. Other games from 2011 were Skyrim, Minecraft and Uncharted 3.

I understand that the Wii only having 1 thumbstick drove some of this also.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The Skyward Sword problem was using motion controls for everything. If they always worked it would've been better but having to constantly recentre didn't help. Don't know how many times I swiped a skulltula instead of stabbing.

Other 3D games they made for the Wii era included Super Mario Galaxy which are often considered among the best 3D platformers.

As for FPS, I remember Call of Duty was praised for its controls, though I didn't play it. Using the Wiimote in the Metroid Prime games was great.

The hotfix patch for Baldo came out on Switch this morning. This fixes some game breaking bugs (if anyone was waiting for it before starting, like me!)

If I remember right, the camera in Mario Galaxy follows you much better than in Skyward Sword.

Even with all my giving out about the controls I am enjoying Skyward Sword. Just finished the first dungeon and looking forward to more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Wario Land and Mario Tennis on the Virtual Boy getting some love...both of these are actually really good. Quite surprised at the complexity available in the tennis shots.

TBH, doesn't look like this good-looking dog can be "patched"-up

A case of flattered to deceive here and early calls made on the basis of style alone

@glasso Yeah the reviews are crucifying it alright. They spent 15 years working on it, so I'd say the developers are crushed at the moment.

On the flipside, I'm in a Baldo group on Facebook and the game does have its fans. I think with a few more patches for QOL changes (less damage from enemies, less aggressive enemies, get rid of the game over screen, improve the map), I think there is a good 8/10 game there under the surface.

I have it installed but I'm going to leave it for a while and let it get some more updates first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jamesnicholson

Currently playing Diablo 3. I was at GR90 with a barbarian wrath of the wastes build I got online. Hoping I can get primal items.

Is anyone here plays it? Any tips how to make the character stronger?

Finished Axiom Verge 2 this morning. 65% items, 85% map. About 14 hours. Happy enough with that. Good game (7/10) but preferred the first. There is a secret ending for over 80% items, but I just watched it on YouTube instead. 🙂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

@pixelburp 😂😂😂

In fairness, it's a standard thing in metroidvanias, even back before the vania! 🙂

Started into Luigi's Mansion 3 last week after getting it as a present last Xmas!

Really purty and quite addictive. It's my first time playing any of the Luigi's mansion games.

I'm not quite sure what the money I'm collecting is for.. though there's something oddly cathartic about hoovering up wads of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The money has a purpose, but also as you say it's just nice hoovering everything up, whether money, ghosts or mats.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Back on Tales of Vesperia had to stop Skyward Sword after the first few attempts its just too weird.

• Advertisement

Back to playing Cathedral. I got stuck 6 months ago and decided to start over this week and manage my gold better (to buy better upgrades).

Still a great game, finding it easier this time around.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Argos have AC: The Rebel Collection for £18 so I picked that up, on the basis that I'm only really interested in Black Flag anyway so <£20 is a reasonable price. Remains to be seen if it's the cart-and-code version or just-code-in-a-box.

Edited to note: Code-in-a-box, perhaps unsurprisingly. *Shrug*

Post edited by Fysh on

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Despite picking up The Rebel Collection, I ended up going back to What The Golf? the last couple of days, and finally completed all of the campaign. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it's been updated since I last played to add a couple of new single-player campaign levels which were fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭apache

Playing Deadly Premonitions. Going along nicely enjoying it until i get to a part where the zombies overwhelm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭apache

Liked it so much I bought Deadly Premonitions 2 today. If it's anything like the first one I'll be happy.

€50 it cost.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Last time I tried it, it was on the PC + a controller and just didn't take to Axiom Verge at all. Saw it was only a fiver on the eStore, so decided F it, I'd give it another go; definitely feels more "at home" on the console, and so far I'm digging it a bit more than the last ocassion. The palette is still an (intentional) eyesore at times - especially once the "glitch" mechanic kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Picked up Tetris Effect at the weekend and it's easily in my top 5 favourite games ever. Just gorgeous. I'm not usually a big Tetris fan but what they did with this game is beautiful. So much so that I'm considering investing in a PS4 and VR headset to get the true experience. Maybe when it drops a bit more in price.

Yeah I love it too. Finding it hard when it speeds up though. Especially when it suddenly jumps from 5 to 9 or 10. Very easy to screw up a level in handheld.

Must try with a proper controller and see if it makes things a bit easier.

Some of the levels are stunning though.

Get a Quest 2 instead.. cheaper and it has Tetris Effect.. plus it's portable

Pair it with an Xbox One S bluetooth controller though.. for max control

• Advertisement

definitely want a proper controller.. I eventually managed to beat it on PS4, but by God you want to be able to have a solid grip and access to all the buttons quickly

Advertisement