Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,904 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I played Crysis through a couple of years ago, I can't remember the format though.
    I finished Crysis 2 as well, and the remastered version would be worth picking up.
    What I would really be after would be the third game.
    I had/have it on the PS3 and the framerate is appalling, 30fps and below, if they ever gave it the remaster it deserves and bumped that up to 60fps , I would definitely buy it again, but I don't think it is likely on the Switch... maybe the Switch Pro will scratch that itch for me!

Crysis Remastered Trilogy trailer shows Switch as one of the platform's it'll be available on. Doubt you'd get your frame rate wish with current switch though.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've been at the DS lite again recently, because I still havw a few levela of Picross DS left. I now have all 10 levels of Free Mode done and am 1/4 of the way through the Extra levels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Fysh wrote: »
    I've been at the DS lite again recently, because I still havw a few levela of Picross DS left. I now have all 10 levels of Free Mode done and am 1/4 of the way through the Extra levels.

You should play Marios Picross and it's sequel, brilliant picross fun.
    As far as I know one or both are on the Online service on Switch

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Picked up a football game of all things, called Legendary Eleven. Was on sale. Arcade sports games are very rare these days, and I was pining for the days of International Superstar Soccer on the SNES. This is a very close cousin, with an art style aiming for the era of panini stickers, tight nylon kits and mullets (aka the late 70s, early 80s). The gameplay is all-right, bit stiff but much more satisfying than the physics heavy, simulation angle games are wedded to these days.

Finished up a really cute Metroidvania called Yokus Island Express. It's Metroidvania, played through the medium of pinball, with the titular island a conveniently shaped area of pinball areas and bumpers. It was super fun, with a really charming art style. Navigating was a bit of a pain sometimes being as you are a ball but was otherwise a really good spin on the genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,577 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Got myself Mario Golf Super Rush this afternoon. Looking forward to giving it a go later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BuyersRemorse

I'm really enjoying the new Mario Golf. Haven't had a chance to check out the online, but the actual golf mechanics are excellent ( despite what you may have heard online).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Started Metroid Zero Mission last night for the first time since playing on GBA at release. And kept playing long past a sensible time.
    (Spoiler in case some are playing for the first time ahead of Dread)
    Killed Kraid, decided to keep goin, killed Ridley and was late, but decided just to get to the next area, Finally beat MB and escaped then figured would go to bed. Forgot about the whole part after that. So played a bit of that before finally turning it off.

Playing on a big screen and it looks really good. Can see why indie devs go for pixelated graphics. It scales up well. Maybe the colours help as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I'm really enjoying the new Mario Golf. Haven't had a chance to check out the online, but the actual golf mechanics are excellent ( despite what you may have heard online).

My copy just arrived in the post. Gonna give it a go tonight. Few mates picked it up to so gonna try out online later in the week after I've brushed up on the basics.

And done. Took less than 4 hours apparently, according to the time on my save file. Though I'd say time between saving and dying aren't included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Played Mario Golf the last 2 nights. Story mode so far is fairly bland with too many dialogue boxes to click through. And some weird decisions too, like when I finish a tournament it makes you go back to bed and rest. So you have to walk across the map and then walk all the way back to the same spot for no reason to progress the days. Waste of time.

Online battles are where it shines and likely what I will be using most with randoms and friends.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Another day, more metroidvanias:

The Mummy: Desmastered. Developed by WayForward (they of the Shantae games), and came up a few times as a surprisingly decent "classic" approach to a Metroidvania (not to mention a rare, decent movie tie-in game, based on the otherwise awful 2017 film). And ... yeah. Basically, that's 100% what this is: an unfussy, by the book Metroidvania done very well. The one cute idea is that when you die, the player becomes a zombie and you gotta go back, kill it, and get your equipment. Otherwise, it's Super Metroid with the serial numbers filed off - and that's no bad thing.

Think it's one of the occasions where the game was overlooked but more favourably received than the film it's based on

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Advance Wars: Dual Strike.

Hard mode campaign and war room. Both have some really tough maps to get a top score on.
    I'm delighted just completing them for now. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Doki Doki Literature Club +

WTF. That's all I can say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

fixXxer wrote: »
    Doki Doki Literature Club +

WTF. That's all I can say.

Without spoiling anything, is it worth a pick up? 10% off for the next few days and I'm thinking of getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

skerry wrote: »
    Without spoiling anything, is it worth a pick up? 10% off for the next few days and I'm thinking of getting it.

Is mostly visual novel with the odd mini game so far. I don't mind that seeing as the story had taking some really interesting turns.

First case completed on Phoenix Wright: Trials & Tribulations

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I'm replaying Picross 3D 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭apache

Downloaded Mario Odyssey and Zelda yesterday. Will have a go at them this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

My main game at the moment is Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knight. Took me a long time to beat the 3rd boss (the witch).
    I'd say I was stuck for 4 or 5 days.
    It's one of those kinds of games where you have to be patient during the boss battles and only attack during certain windows.
    Impatience will get you killed. :)

Love the game though, I really recommend it.

I've been playing Carto (got it in the sale). Charming puzzle game - very clever.

I got a game called Dadish (80% off at the moment, €1.80).
    Cute platform game and a bit of a challenge. Funny too. Worth it for the price!
    Dadish 2 is also on sale for the same price, I'll pick that up soon.

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1+2 arrived yesterday, still in the box.

Got Doki Doki Literature Club+ last week, it's in the backlog. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Mr E wrote: »
    My main game at the moment is Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knight. Took me a long time to beat the 3rd boss (the witch).
    I'd say I was stuck for 4 or 5 days.
    It's one of those kinds of games where you have to be patient during the boss battles and only attack during certain windows.
    Impatience will get you killed. :)

Love the game though, I really recommend it.

I've been playing Carto (got it in the sale). Charming puzzle game - very clever.

I got a game called Dadish (80% off at the moment, €1.80).
    Cute platform game and a bit of a challenge. Funny too. Worth it for the price!
    Dadish 2 is also on sale for the same price, I'll pick that up soon.

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1+2 arrived yesterday, still in the box.

Got Doki Doki Literature Club+ last week, it's in the backlog. :)

Ender Lillies only popped up on my radar this week. Looks great.

Picked up Doki Doki last night. Think I'll get stuck in as it seems like one of those games that could be easily spoiled and I believe its a short enough game.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

About 4 hours for the main story and another 2 to see all the endings.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Dived head first into Tony Hawk, the glow of nostalgia and... I remember why I rented it and THPS2 all those years ago. Great games, lots of fun but just not my cup of tea for longer term play. Will be looking to pass it on.

Dug out Octopath Traveller and immediately lost in it, amazing game.

GODS Remastered. It’s ok if you have any nostalgia for the Amiga, but I couldn’t recommend it.

Advance Wars 2 on the VC on Wii U so I won’t be tempted to buy the remake (in theory).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Mario Kart Wii for the first time and it has the most ridiculous, almost self-parodying example of Mario Kart AI I've ever come across. Needless to add, I'm enjoying it a lot.

Actually playing it via Wii mode on the Wii U and I'm continually reminded why the Wii U failed. Everything's just that bit awkward. It's a clunky experience in itself but it is absolutely mind-melting that this was the follow-up to the console that got your granny to play video games.

Mr E wrote: »
    My main game at the moment is Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knight.

Definitely one of the best-looking 2D games on the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Just finished Tony Hawks 1&2 Remastered, 100% in both games... what a great port! Had already bought it for PS4 last year but still enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Finished my first run through Sky:Children of the light earlier.

Delighted that it finally made its way to a console, I just can’t enjoy mobile games that rely on touch controls emulating a joypad and all the annoyance that comes with that.

Switch struggles in a section or two that hopefully a future patch can fix but I loved it. It’s absolutely gorgeous, cute as all feck and free. If you enjoyed Flower or journey it’s a no brainer.

Also picked up the castlevania collection when it was on sale to play bloodlines, realised I never actually beat the originals bar 3. Smashing through them has been a blast. 1,2,3,4 and the first gameboy game done. Just the second gameboy game to go then finally get to play bloodlines.

All of them have held up really well. Except for 2, it’s still a janky mess but I enjoyed the boss fights. Also playing through them blind so managed to miss 3 whip upgrades and that could be the reason I didn’t enjoy the majority of the 2nd game (8 strikes to kill a skelly at one point :pac:) got the morning star and absolutely beat the life out of it in a few hours.

First gameboy one was very short but very very hard, the only one I ended up using the save states questionably. 4 was an absolute pleasure, hadn’t played it since waaaaay back on the snes but never even got close to beating it back then. The final showdown with Dracula was all sorts of epic. That birdman spear boss was also a **** till I figured him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭sok2005

Skyward Sword arrived from Smyths today so that's the next few weeks blocked off for me.

The SS joycons are beautiful to look at and use but quite expensive.

Haven't received the Amiibo yet.

• Advertisement

Playing Dandara - yet another Metroidvania, but again with a twist. This time, the change being you aim your characters movement so they bounce about the floors, ceilings and walls to navigate the map. Lots of shifting perspectives and a very satisfying sense of control. It's also a very old school Metroidvania; in that the maps are Labyrinthine and sprawling, I've got myself lost from a lack of direction and funneling more common with later types of the genre.

Advertisement