Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021/2022 Wildcard thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

What do you mean he was unavailable for the first two games? He's been on the bench for every game this season including the super cup. He didn't play at the Euros' either, so dunno how he's not match fit if he's making all these squads. Other players that were at the euros have played these games - Mount and Jorginho for example played in the super cup, and then started first game of season, James is another player at the euros but was fit and played. I think to say that he wasn't is just ben nice to him, instead of saying that he's out of favour at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

I couldn't resist the lure of the wildcard. I wanted the 4 premiums and take advantage of Wolves & Leeds (from gw5) fixtures.

Sanchez (Steer)

TAA, Coady, Ayling, (Liveramento), (B. Williams)

Salah, Raphinha, Trincao, Benrahma (Sissoko)

Ronaldo, Lukaku, Antonio

There must be something up with Chilwell as to why he hasn't played any minutes so far this season and none at the Euros.

Surely he will be integrated into the side soon. We'll find out with time I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

id be on James too but for his suspension. I’ll be reverting to him GW7/8 on a Chelsea defence cover.

I’m looking at something similar & my structure is of similar balance except for the defence (Trent).

Curious, why Trincao over Traore - it’s probably similar to my thinking :) but the stats are pointing towards Traore & with 4 of their next 6 away it might suit Traore’s game more.

Also, Benny R.. are you contemplating jumping off double West Ham attack & going with someone like Sarr (Watford have nice fixtures coming) or even Antonio to DCL?

Im going with Marcel over Coady and Double Chelsea over Trent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭qwabercd

De Gea has been good this season, would be shocked to see him dropped for Henderson on current form. Always the risk he could go on a bad run but same for most keepers really. I wouldn't be factoring Ronaldo too heavily into a united defensive cover decision, if he plays up front it's a moot point really.

I love watching Traore play and think he has great qualities as a player in real life (power, pace, direct) but for me his finishing is really poor so I don't see him as a great fpl pick. Also he tends to look really good against the better teams as he can break against them but I'm thinking Trincao will have more trickery and composure in the final third for their good fixture run. The 0.1 difference helps too as I'd have to go Coady or Ayling down to White to free that up! Podence coming on for 20 mins v United back is a worry I have. Maybe Gray would be the better option...

Marcal v coady is interesting. I don't really know enough about Marcal to pick him. Was he a signing they made last year? From looking at the FPL site he only played 618 mins and hasn't got a goal or assist for them yet. I'm open to any insight on Marcal :)

Not having DCL is bugging me and I'm even thinking or downgrading Lukaku to him (I don't think I will though). I got Antonio at 7.5 and like his fixtures so will keep him with Benrahma. West Ham are flying and I don't want to come off them just yet.

I hope the double Chelsea defense works out for you but even as a Chelsea fan I never have a clue how they will line up. Rudiger would be my best guess as the most nailed defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

First draft 0.5m ITB

Sanchez Steele

TAA Laporte Christensen Duffy Livramento

Salah Raphina Allan McCarthur Gilmour

Ronaldo Lukaku DCL

Plan is to switch between 433 and 343 based on fixtures, midfield isn't great but I lime the defence and front line.

I could do Duffy or Livramento to Dier or Tangana with the extra 0.5 but not much better in midfield for an upgrade

Any thoughts welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Marcal was signed as cover for Jonny who has another long term injury so he should be good in the short term to keep his spot. I think he can match Semedo in attacking returns. Semedo is similar to Traore in his end product which explains Wolves lack of goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

What’s the thoughts on these two options

Williams/Gray/Mendy (Lei)/Jota

versus

Livramento/Raphina/Benrahma/Allan

basically Jota + Gray V Raph + Benrahma

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,825 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I do feel like this Trincao/Traore thing might be a case of overthinking it. In the 3 games so far Traore has an xG of 1.50 and an xA of 0.61, where Trincao has 0.63 and 0.17. I also expect players with lower volume to be more efficient than Traore, because Traore is inefficient, but how much more efficient does Trincao need to be than Traore to compensate for that volume difference? It doesn't feel that likely to me. Feels like Traore will be a reasonable pick for the price through sheer volume alone. He will underperform his xG (he can't underperform his xA only his teammates can ruin that on him), but it shouldn't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think the thing that has most people really thinking about Traore is that he didn't underperform his xG by much last year, there's an article about it going around (I thought it was posted here but maybe it was on reddit). If I see it again, I'll post.

I've the stats here. 2.08 xG and 2 goals. So yeah, not much regression, but its also difficult to talk about (due to the tiny sample size) considering he had such a low xG to begin with. He has acccumulated already 3 quarters of his total xG from last season in 10% of the minutes played. So it is clear that in the small sample size that is Lage's time as Wolves manager, that Traore has had a hugely elevated role compared to under Nuno.

If there is no dropoff (which feels somewhat unlikely), he'd have an xG of 19 goals and an xA of around 7/8 this season. So evaluating how effective an asset Traore will be this season ultimately comes down to how inefficient a finisher he is going to be relative to xG and whether he can maintain the same important role in the team throughout the season. I mean it feels logical that he will not get 26 goal involvements this season, but at 6.0, he will not need to, to be a good option. He is really in my thoughts at the moment. I mean I'm not compelled to stick with him if his role does diminish anyway and the fixtures are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Marcal Traore DCL or Semedo Gray Jimenez?

Stuck between the two

Brother is an Everton fan & he is telling me to go with DCL. They’ve been creating chances & he has been getting into good positions. I also feel he is a 20 goal a season striker now on pens and with that his price is very appealing. I’m on Antonio & Benny since the start myself but I’m just weary they won’t return 4 goals every week & they are starting to get more options/scorers.

I think having 2 of Cr7/Lukaku/Kane will be a big differential as unless you Wildcard your team won’t be setup to accommodate that strategy & with that if the premiums take off we could be ahead of the curve.

There is also plenty of mid-priced midfielders who’ll score & potentially cover some of the budget strikers.

I agree with you on Traore/Trincao & my thoughts exactly. Big worry is Podence coming back & Trincao coming off before Traore.

I think Chelsea defence looks nearly settled & Christensen is more a nailed starter for me. I think Alonso will play more then Chilwell - when Tuchel came in there were signs he didn’t fancy Chilwell too much with Emerson getting time over him. Alonso looks to be back to himself - Alonso will play the more attacking games & im happy for a 4m defender to come in should he not start as there are good options there. Will Alonso + Livramento (subbin in) plus 2mil outscore Trent (4m defender on bench 11.5m In total) this year? I just think Chelsea are taken off this season and we need to have some assets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I've had DCL since the start and very happy with him, the one thing to watch is that 2 of his 3 goals are penalties, which obviously you won't be getting every week, but yeah I agree he's been getting in great positions.

I wouldn't be doubling up on a team that haven't scored yet this season. Wait until Jiminez scores before he comes in, that was an awful injury he got. Like Carragher said last week, he needs to score a header to prove to himself he's over the fear.

Midfield is very light, you're basically talking about playing one or two 4.5 mids each week (and I prefer Brownhill/Sissoko as 4.5 mids if you're going that route).

Would you downgrade one of Laporte/Christensen and get a 5.5 mid (Gray or Smith-Rowe?)

All good picks, and as someone who likes to spread risk....

If ya already have Salah I'd go Raph/Benrahma

If ya already have Antonio I'd go Jota/Gray

If ya have both of them, I'd probably be swayed for Jota/Gray. Leeds possibly hitting second season syndrome, West Ham have signed the Croatian lad, and have Europa league headaches

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I want to get into the Chelsea defence too but think I'll do it conservatively with Rudiger as a set and forget for most of the season. I think he should play about 34 of 38 games while Alonso has little hope of getting anywhere near those minutes. Im preferring the consistent returns of Rudiger over the feast or a famine with Alonso.

• Advertisement

basically Jota + Gray V Raph + Benrahma

Thats a tough one. If we knew Firminos injury is serious then I think Jota + Gray could just shade it over the next 5 or 6 GWs. If Firmino is back in GW5 then it becomes a different proposition. I have my doubts about Benrahma continuing on his hot streak but Im going to hold him this GW at least.

Raphinha is an interesting one as I saw some Leeds fans chatter about the signing of Daniel James meaning that Raphinha likely plays as a no.10. If that happens he could be one of the bargains of the season, a no.10 in an attacking Leeds side for just 6.5m. Raph was always a season long set and forget for me and he could become even more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Both of those reasons are kinda in line with what I'm thinking. Leeds could struggle this season

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Good points I could do Laporte/Allan/MacArthur to Williams/Gray/Smith-Rowe

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 250 ✭✭SeamusAFA

Hit the wildcard.

Sanchez/Bachman

TAA, Duffy, Livramento, Ayling, Williams

Salah, Son, Bissouma, Gallagher, Gilmour

Ronaldo, Lukaku, Dennis

I think I am happy enough with that.

You've seem to sacrifice most your team to keep TAA - who do you plan to bench most weeks?

Bissouma, Gallagher and Gilmour - your going to have to play at least 1 of them every week, given how your defense looks. Is Gallagher worth it at 5.5 to be playing every week?

Feel like you've also decided to ignore Antonio - despite his great form,

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 250 ✭✭SeamusAFA

I plan to play 343 most weeks. So Bissouma and Gallagher.

Son would be one I would sacrifice before TAA but I think Son will run good now Kane is staying.

Son over Antonio feels misguided to me. Especially since the money saved could save your problems.

Think thats the first WC team Ive seen that gets TAA, Salah, Son, Ronaldo & Lukaku into it. It comes with a fair few sacrifices to fit them all in. It seems very unbalanced and you're fully reliant on 4 premiums + Son to haul every week, if two or three of them blank its going to be a bad week. Equally if they all haul it will be a very good week.

It seems like feast or famine stuff and when the famine comes along and you're seeing cheaper players elsewhere hauling good points its going to be difficult to stick to the strategy. Id at least play around with taking either TAA or Son out and seeing if you could spread the money around better.

The thing is though, majority of other teams are going to have 4 premium players, so in this instance, your relying on that 1 other player to perform along with the cheap players, over someone who has a more stable team. Is TAA, Livramento and Gallagher for instance going to outscore Christensen, Matip and Torres. And you can see that's two 5 mill defenders and a 7.1m midfield player. You might choose a cheap mid that is returning big, and spread the extra dollar further. Picking Matip removes the CS benefit of TAA,

Ultimately there is no right or wrong, but i personally wouldn't be playing a WC and having to be relying on Bissouma, Gallagher, Dennis each week in my starting 11, along with one of Duffy/Williams/Livramento, that's not even considering what the bench is like.

If it goes pared shaped, the next WC is over 3 months away and there are a lot of passengers in the team to sort out.

• Advertisement

Playing around there and get the below.

Sa (4.0)

Ayling, White, Christensen, Matip, Williams

Salah, Torres, Raphinha, ESR, Gilmour

Ronaldo, Kane, Antonio

Advertisement