Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021/2022 Wildcard thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,060 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I don't think I can justify Ronaldo and Lukaku.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Neither can I.

I'm going Ronaldo , Antonio , Calvert Lewin and switching to a 3-4-3 .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Has stones lost his spot with Laporte now ahead of him or is stones still not 100% fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,828 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Agree with this summary. If we believe Ronaldo is going to do well it’s very likely at the expense of other assets.

I think Lukaku has similar potential but we don’t really know for sure if he is going to be on penalties yet and that could be worth approx 5 goals a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

I’m thinking this too and switching to Lukaku on gw 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

8 for Bruno last season, 4 in the half season he played before that

Two words - Jed Steer

Looking at the fixtures I think Lukaku can out score Ronaldo for GW4

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Who'd be your favourite 4.5 defenders (or 4.6). Looking to go TAA and then two of them.

If you didn’t mind the double up Dier & Tanganga, although there’s doubt over one or both with the new signings.

Coady,Ayling, White but again you’re relying on all three to come good. That’s the order I’d put them in

I don’t want to overhype it or anything, but Jed Steer has actually been quite reliable whenever called upon (clearly there’s still a reason why he hasn’t been able to make more of a career for himself).

He was the keeper when Villa went on the record breaking 11 in a row winning run that led to the playoffs and promotion (he was in goals for the playoffs too and saved a bunch of pens in the shootout against West Brom).

He is obviously not Emi but this isn’t Orjan Nyland going in goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭remoteboy

I wish I had your confidence. He’s certainly not a clown but he’s got a mistake or two in him every match. The question is whether or not we get punished for them.

On the Leeds defence I have it in my preseason notes to get Meisler, with Dallas gone from the back there should be more BP for him and Bielsa had a more pragmatic approach to defence in the second half of the season.

Am looking at removing Salah to accommodate Ronaldo. My issues are it means removing Antonio and am I going to captain Ronaldo at any stage?

Meisler -4m

TAA- Coady - Livramento - Regulion - White

Jota - Allen - Raphina - Benrahma - Torres

Lukaku - Ronaldo - DCL

with C looking like

4 - Lukaku

5 - TAA

6 - TAA

7 to 11 - Lukaku

I mean he certainly isn't among the top 20 goalkeepers in the Premier League. But in terms of reliability, I think he is solid enough to keep things ticking along for a game or 2. He isn't Pickford.

Yeah the Spurs lads look solid and underpriced, but they've a new RB and CB signed who I imagine will be brought into the team over the next few weeks. Leeds looked more solid towards the end of last year, and their fixtures look appealing. Fixtures look great for Wolves, Leeds and Arsenal if any of them can tighten up

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Where is your money going??I think it's madness getting rid of Salah tbh. Torres/Jota are not guaranteed starters and will be rotated in/out.

I think you have too much spent in defense - your only going to play 3 of them in any week - the likes of Williams should be getting game time and is only 4.0m - so you could save money there.

I would be keeping Antonio over DCL, DCL has scored 2 penalties this season, so 1 goal from open play. Given refs are suppose to be more strict this season on what is/isn't a penalty he's not going to continue getting them. Had he only 1 goal would you be so quick to keep him?

TLDR. Your taking out two of the most prolific players in the game on form (Salah/Antonio), who are also both highly owned, for a number of players who while good, have question marks over their minutes but more importantly are not highly owned. It's like it's the last 4 GW's of the season and your gambling...

Current Wildcard draft

Sanchez

TAA Alonso Livramento (Williams Duffy)

Salah Torres Raphina Benrahma Gray

Ronaldo Lukaku

Basically means I need to play a 4m defender each week.

Current options being considered include:

• Smoothening out the defence a bit, Alonso/Duffy become a 5m/4.5 (like Green&Red above, Regullion and Cody)
    • Get Antonio in instead of Berahma and downgrade the defence by 1.4m (losing TAA)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I think Pep might be resting the English lads. He hasn't given any of them much playing time. Were they late back after the Euros?

Ya, I was just playing around with a Lukaku & Ronaldo team. I’m thinking the better option is to go Ronaldo then get Lukaku GW7

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Paddy_Irishman

Will Ronaldo start out on the left or be central?

I'm wondering which of Shaw or Wan bisaka is going to have extra work to do with Ronaldo basically not getting up and down the park during games. If he's in the middle like I think then it won't matter as much but would be helpful to get an idea of their shape with him in the squad

Lukaku versus an Aston Villa team with question marks over their defense, and missing their first choice keeper could get a double digit score.

Equally Ronaldo first game back at home against a Newcastle team with their third choice keeper (although he's done quite well), could also get double digit scores. His only ever PL hattrick came against Newcastle as well.

The International break has come at an awkward time - although Ronaldo's price is frozen, the likes of Bruno and/or other big priced players aren't - so we could lose money on them, but I feel that if we hit the WC button, and then either Ronaldo/Lukaku got injured it would feel like a waste of the WC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

So thus far FPL has been an absolute disaster. I'm miles behind in my leagues and I've hit the Wildcard nuclear option. This is what it looks like at the moment, any advice is welcome.

Schmeichel, Foster

Jansson, TAA, Dias, Livramento, Brandon Williams

Mount, Raphina, Salah, Torres, Sissoko

Antonio, Dennis, Ronaldo

Keep in mind that's much changed from what my team looked like at the end of Gameweek 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Is it madness doubling up on Spurs defenders given they are cheap. Also doubling up on City mids although I am counting Torres as a striker for my team.

Sanchez

Coady TAA Dier Reguilon

Torres Salah Grealish

Antonio Chris Wood Ronaldo

Subs: Martinez, Sissoko Livramento, Bissouma

Zero in the bank. Have made wholesale changes with this wildcard to bring in Ronaldo and Salah

I think you in for world of pain with 2 city mids. If you consider the players that haven't played much in the first 3 games - Foden, KdB, Mahrez, Sterling, Silva - at some point they will come into the team and Torres/Grealish will be rotated in/out of the squad. Before the Arsenal game, did you want Torres in your team?

Spurs have signed 2 defenders this summer so who knows what Dier chances are for keeping his place. Leeds have some decent fixtures and cheap defenders

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

How about Ayling for dier. Then maybe Raphinha/Benrahma for one of the city mids.

I like the Spurs double up. From what I’ve read Spurs fans seem to think Sanchez is the one to make way as Romero is the more “modern” CB.

On city Torres seems to be the only centre forward at the club if you take peps comments on Jesus at face value.

Grealish probably too early to comment. It’s a lot of eggs in one basket that doesn’t have great fixtures

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Contemplating a WC and below seems to be the best I can come up with.

Sanchez (Steele)

Coufal, Reguilon, Christensen, Duffy (Williams)

Salah, Mount, Torres (Allan, Sissoko)

Ronaldo, Kane, Antonio

0.2 itb

Plenty of sacrifices, the big one being TAA at the back but I would be very happy with that front 6. I think Mount protects against Lukaku a little and the rest speak for themselves. Pep Roulette might get me and expectations would be low from that bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Mount will be competing with Saul now for game time along with Pulisic & Havertz. Havertz’s output has been very good of late & I can’t see him not playing more game time.

I know Mount has been virtually an ever present but his game time will surely now be impacted.

He won’t drop into the 2 holding positions like before as Kovacic , Kante & Jorginho are all fit.

Mount doesn’t score enough to warrant a 7.5m stsrting spot for me. I’d much rather Torres, Greenwood or Jota who are also at risk of rotation.

I don’t think Coufal is good value either. West Ham conceding 2 to both Newcastle & Palace ain’t good. I’d go with DeGea over Sanchez & then get a 4.5m defender in there. Someone like Marcel for Wolves.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I had my eye on Torres since the end of last season when Pep started him striker against Leeds and he scored a hat trick. Pep made comments then that he expected to play him there going forward and City have no out and out striker now.

For 7 million, you'll live with a bit of rotation for Man City's potential striker.

Yea for 7m, but if you throw in Grealish at 8m - that's 15m tied up in City assets that could be on the bench as much as on the field - just look at Mahrez - could score a hattrick one week, and not see action for another 6. Torres is probably worth having alright, but as long as your other attacking players are not a rotation risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Is it worth doing this for a wildcard ?

Having Kane, Ronaldo, Lukaku, Salah and Taa and then a **** load of 4.5s/4.0s

Not really serious, but it shows the lengths you have to go to get them. I've got about a million quid left after this

Advertisement