Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Joe saward is talking about the albon-williams connection. He said that last week Latifi had an uncertain covid test and Williams sounded out Albon over anyone else to replace him. Latifi was fine so it didn't come to anything.

But he reckons Albon is a good fit for Williams as they want a decent driver who is young and can stay around for a long time as the team improves from their new money.

He said Albon isn't the only good option for them but that's where the connection was made.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

He also seems certain Qatar will be the TBC race.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The line in and out of the early banked turn looks wild.

Is the only likely overtaking opportunity into turn 1?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Kimi has announced his retirement......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

He's probably delighted he doesn't have to do anymore pr

That's a bit of a relief. Was a great racer but had a career of two halves. Clinging on by reputation for the last few years.

Now everyone can reflect on the good things he did as a driver instead of eagerly anticipating his retirement.

I wonder if Alfa will keep Gio. I presume not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Ferrari engine in the Alfa means they'll want one of their academy drivers, or any Italian with a super license.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Liked having Kimi in F1 but the last year or 2 haven't been great. Great career all the same, probably should have had more than 1 championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,562 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Definitely should have had more than one championship if the Maclarens and there Merc engines had not let him down so much in the early 00s when he was with Mclaren.

Delighted he is retiring do. He was at nothing this late in his career in a midfield team. I always liked him but his time has come and gone. He had some good times and some great races but it's time for someone new to come in now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Is there not a limit on how many teams Mercedes can supply?

I think I remember that cropping up when McLaren were signing with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

That tight Turn 1 could see some chaos at the start — reminds me of Spa.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I wonder if we'll ever see a Renault engine in another team again?

Kimi, well that incident where he clips the wheel coming into the pits did seem a bit of a "senior moment", but as many have said Kimi has been in F1 since Sauber looked like a hybrid between Mercedes-Benz and Red Bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭chicorytip

As a reserve driver, maybe. Kubica will depart as well, I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭klose

Not really related but was listening to a podcast a whole back and one of the guys said they wish there was a 22-24 car grid, more opportunity for all the drivers without a seat and a chance for the likes of Renault to supply other teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭klose

Wasn't into F1 (unfortunately) when Kimi was peak but obviously his time at this level has been on the wane since I got into it, this year has had a particularly bad few couple of incidents (rear ending his team mate and crashing into vettel)

Did I hear alfa don't have to have a ferrari junior in one of their seats from next season? Or am I imagining things? Either way would they be too arsed if giovenazzi loses his seat next year? I mean sainz and leclerc are gonna be there for a few years to go and I think they may prefer a certain German driver with a certain second name to come in instead of gio in a few years time if they're looking for a new driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Russell to Merc looks a done deal. Be surprised if it isn't confirmed by weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 15,562 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

How could a Sauber look like Hybrid from Mercedes Benz and Red Bull since neither of them teams existed in F1 in the early 00s? Mercedes just supplied engines to Mclaren that was it. Sauber are older than both them teams.

Kimi really should have won the WDC with Mclaren Mercedes and if the cars had of been more reliable he probably would have.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Guessing the mean liveries and referring to current/recent ones.

• Advertisement

Yeah they had red bull sponsorship and one year they had Mercedes stars all over the rear of the car like Mercedes has had in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

They had Red Bull AND Petronas sponsorship.

In regards to the "alleged" vacant Williams seat. What about Jamie Chadwick or Roy Nissany? Chadwick is already on Williams books as a sim driver, does W Series generate enough super licence points? Is Nissany just a Cash Guy? 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

In case anyone was wondering the McLaren Gulf clothing is back for order from the McLaren store. I am not a McLaren fan but had to order one of the Gulf track jackets. Such iconic branding and so good to see it back at a race even though it was once off this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Thinking of the Williams seat when George moves to Merc (imminently), would the Merc team still have influence on that vacated Williams seat? And I'm thinking that perhaps Nick DeVries being a Merc driver could jump into it easily.

Albon is a good contender too but doesn't have any direct ties with the Williams team. He'd bring his RB knowledge and simulator skills, and I'd think would be of benefit.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Albon might be a good shout for Williams. Less pressure and Williams are improving. It could reform his carrier like Gasly has done by going back to Alpha Tauri.

De Vries probably feels hard done by. His career never really took off after he won the F2 championship in 2019. Formulae E was a big step down if he harboured an F1 drive.

Yeah and gasley is a good case for comparison. I don't think gasley was miles better than Albon and Albon was probably going to win in Brazil until Hamilton crashed into him. That would have set a very different baseline if he had won a race.

I think if RB don't rate Albon then it's probably fair that they also don't rate Gasley, but I think neither is miles behind Perez and we've seen thst Gasley has great potential and probably lots more potential tial than Perez has. But perez is a pretty safe pair of hands for right now. I wonder if RB will keep an option on Albon or of they'll just cut him loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭moby2101

Hi

long time lurker and avid fan of F1.

I’m looking to buy some Mercedes F1 jackets, any sites I’ve looked at have awful reviews on trustpilot, unfortunately.

Where would ye recommend??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

^ Have you tried the official Mercedes F1 shop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Not online but I’ve often seen Merc and Ferrari gear in the Puma shop at the Kildare Outlets

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement