Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭moby2101

Hi,

yes I ordered from here in the past.

Nightmare to deal with, eventually received a refund after lots of issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

There are a few items of Mercedes gear on sale here

I've had good dealings with m&m in the past. Returns have been spot on too. No mucking about.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Thinking about Spa, it might be helpful if the cars were fitted with one red light at the rear in such conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

In fact they now have three rear lights, as well as the central one they've had for decades there's now lights in the trailing edges of the rear wing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hi all. Long time F1 fan and I am going to be in Milan in next weekend with two Drive to Survive F1 converts. I only just realised the grand prix is on the same weekend, and it seems pretty possible to get tickets. I have never been to a grand prix before and always wanted to go. (at least to quali or friday practice).

Does anyone know which of the many sites that seem to sell tickets are trustworthy, and does anyone have any general advice for Monza (including Saturday v Sunday tickets etc)

Post edited by errlloyd on

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭barryribs

Albon confirmed for Williams next year, which means that Bottas is likely to go to Alfa Romeo

Nevermind, was a fake account

Yes, but that central red lamp flashes only when the battery is recharging, does it not? I mean one that is constantly illuminated like on a standard road car. Maybe my eyesight is failing but I could see no rear lighting last Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I know we all know Russell is going Mercedes and they haven’t announced yet but am I going crazy or has Toto just confirmed it today?

Saw an article saying it’s still being kept tight lipped.

But did Toto not say that they have to look at open seats at Williams and Alfa Romeo today when asked if they were blocking Albon to Williams, and talking up Nick?

Like he said the open space at Williams.

Why stay coy on it? Pretty much confirmed Russell is going. Maybe a rare slip by him.

Well, I suppose there is an open seat at Williams in so far as Williams hasn't signed any driver's officially yet (Joe Saward says Latifi has signed for next year already but it has it been announced yet). Russell hasn't signed for anyone for next season officially yet. So Mercedes has an option on the seat at Williams so they have the choice to put Russell or someone else in that seat.

We all know Russell is going to Mercedes but Toto hasn't actually let anything slip there as they could put nick in the Williams and drop Russell. But we all know they're just waiting to make the announcement about George.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Sounds like Merc want Nyck de Vries in William, and will try block Albon, so that leaves Alfa for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Bad news for Channel 4 next weekend in Monza. There's no extra programme to cover Friday qualifying for the sprint and no change to the length of their Saturday evening programme. So basically they are going to have to hack up both sessions in order to fit as much the action as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,514 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I am glad I am not relying on Channel 4 anymore so. Of course there schedule could change during the week it has happened before. Be interesting to see if it does.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Bottas might be better off moving back to Williams who are improving rather than Alfa Sauber who are not.

Post edited by chicorytip on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

It is all new next year though, so I don't think the rate of improvement this year will be a factor.

If with the completely new cars next year Verstappen still dominates someone by the kind of gaps he's had so far then he's the best driver ever. I very much doubt that will be the case though.

I don't think that follows. He hasn't had a top tier teammate since Ric. Albon and Gasley as rookies and Perez is only alright and he's in a run of poor performance. Nobody is seriously suggesting any of those are top tier. Gasley has improved since leaving RB so that would be interesting to see him back in the RB to see if he could challenge Max. But he's still probably not top tier.

Max isn't beating the likes of Leclerc and Norris, he's beating Perez and he should beat a decent midfielder like Perez.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,100 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

I really hope it does for Bottas what Seb's move to Aston Martin did for him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Going by Bottas announcement it looks like Alfa Romeo will be continuing there marketing agreement with Sauber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

How has f1 turned into that Toto, Red Bull and Ferrari have literally control over who gets on the grid and where

• Registered Users Posts: 15,514 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So thats Bottas to Alfa, Russell to Mercedes. DE Vries to Williams is it. Anything else.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The second Alfa seat is still up for grabs. If they stay with the Alfa branding then they're more likely to try to sell the seat to Ferrari and stay with Gio. There was talk of them switching to Mercedes and then they'd probably want a Mercedes driver in that seat. But that seemed unlikely. Most likely scenario is status quo, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

He's not just beating them though, he's thrashing them. His recent team mates may not be elite level, but they're not bad either. IMO Verstappen right now is driving at the level of Alonso a decade ago, i.e. the best on the grid.

Yeah I don't disagree with that. He's on great form and he's doing a great job. I disagreed that beating Perez like a rented mule again next year would mean Max is the best ever (that was said in the post i responded to) I don't like to compare drivers form different eras or get into discussions of who is the greatest. But anyone could agree that Max is in the elite group of drivers on this grid (probably only himself and Hamilton with some drivers liek Leclerc, Noris close behind).

Albon and Gasley were rookies though. That has to be kept in mind. And Gasley has improved since being dropped by RB which i think shows he was promoted too early. Perez is grand, his early season form was much better than the last few races and his quali times have gone form bad to worse. He's having about the right level of performance for him. Inconsistent and usually miles off a top driver like max. I doubt we'll ever see max with a top teammate. If you have max (and are paying his wages) then you're backing him to win the championship so you hire a second driver like a Perez or a Bottas as Mercedes have done. Bottas is much better at keeping in touch with the leaders than Perez has been of late. But they've both been picked because they're ok, not bad but not too good either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭This is it

I'm looking forward to Hamilton v Russell, if they're allowed fight, and Max v them both next season. Hopefully Ferrari can close the gap and we can see LeClerc and Sainz in the mix, Norris as well.

For someone to beat a competent driver by the amount Verstappen has beaten everyone since Ricciardo suggests something more than just being a bit better.

Hamilton was only a rookie but could match Alonso. Button could match Hamilton more or less. Rookies usually come in and aside from pure pay drivers are up to speed within the first weekend.

A quick look at 2008 and Hamilton regularly beat Kovalainen, found a handy comparison tool showing that it wasn't always an absolute beating and varied over the season. And despite my intense dislike of Hamilton there's no denying he's one of the greatest ever. Kovalainen isn't at the top of anyone's list but in his rookie year he beat Fisichella.

For Verstappen to consistently destroy (not just beat) everyone has to be down to something exceptional going on. The only two real options are the car being completely suited to him or he's that much better than everyone else.

The third option is that he's just much better than the teammates he's had. He should beat the stuffing out of Perez. There would be something wrong if he didn't.

Anyone could agree that Max is excellent and on great form. Perez is only ok and has typically mixed form. Max should hammer Perez, and he does. Max is much better than Perez and Gasley and Albon as rookies. I don't think there's anything else to be gleaned from it.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It used to be just Bernie who told everyone who to sign and when.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Your final point should be accentuated more. It's clear that the RB is designed to match Verstappen's nuances as a driver and RB's drivers just have to deal with what their given, there has been a long history of this in F1 with a preferential main driver in a team, who would have more influence with the design team, gets a car suited to them. The classic example of this would be Alonso's championship winning car, F1 test driver Scott Mansell describes it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4Dv0Ja6HQU

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement