Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Bahrain outer loop I suspect will make a return or maybe Saudi x 2

Til 09 it was 605kg, went up progressively and last season 752kg. Next year 790kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I think they are heavier at least. Granted, some of the size over the years was from the ban on refuelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah it's a travesty what has happened to F1 cars over the last decade or so. The hybrid engines are so heavy that race pace was multiple seconds slower than what came before despite being orders of magnitude more expensive. They made up for this with wider tyres (that also needed to be more heavy duty to handle the extra weight of the cars) and more extreme aero to claw back the laptime so they were no longer embarrassingly slow, but the laptime is being achieved in all the wrong ways and racing has suffered dramatically as a result.

There's a growing movement with the next engine formula to move back to something more suitable for racing, Red Bull are pushing hard for it and McLaren have surprisingly snubbed their engine suppliers and backed them up. There's talk of moving towards low-emission combustion fuels rather than increasing the hybrid component, which in reality has done nothing for sustainability and is irrelevant while Formula E exists and only serves to delay the needed transition to BEVs in the real world.

A move to lighter, racier engines would once again allow for smaller tyres that don't need to manage as much load, less extreme aero needed to make up the laptime, and eventually purer racing cars. But it will be a lot of baby steps getting back there I imagine.

While infections are high, the government have little regard for controlling it, and F1 will go wherever they can make money so it will probably still go ahead.

Aye it's the knock-on effects that aren't accounted for as much. The weight and aero is a big part of the tyre problem as well. Due to different surfaces and temperatures to make a construction that'll last half a race on average is properly difficult. The only way they've managed it is with tyres that need to be babied throughout the race.

I had some old clips thrown at me by YouTube and the cars at least looked fast. I know the current cars are faster on ultimate pace but how often does that happen in the race?

Just looking at this year's calendar I think we've had 4 races on the same circuits as 08.

Bahrain 2008 - Pole 1:33.096 Fastest lap 1:33.193 +0.097

Bahrain 2021 - Pole 1:28.997 Fastest lap 1:32.090 +3.093

Monaco 2008 - Pole 1:15.787 Fastest lap 1:16.689 +0.902

Monaco 2021 - Pole 1:10.346 Fastest lap 1:12.909 +2.463

Britain 2008 - Rain during race

Britain 2021 - Pole 1:26.134 Fastest lap 1:28.617 +2.483

Hungary 2008 - Pole 1:20.889 Fastest lap 1:21.195 +0.306

Hungary 2021 - Pole 1:15.419 Fastest lap 1:18.394 +2.975

So for the 3 comparisons that can be made in 08 they were 0.1, 0.9 and 0.3 off pole during the race. This year it's 3.1, 2.4 and 3. And fastest lap now is often done for a laugh at the end of a race, used to happen on low fuel with old tyres. But carrying 4 extra laps of fuel mattered back then.

I'm under no illusions that things used to be perfect or everything used to be better but come on, they're just driving to a delta during the races and it's a real bore.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭barryribs

Lots of former F1 drivers involved in Le Mans this weekend, spread over different eras. Fisichella is racing in the Ferrari and Jan and Kevin Magnussen in the Oreca. Olivier Panis has his own team this year in the LMP2 class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Kamu Kobayashi - Toyota #7

Seb Buemi, Brendon Hartley - Toyota #8

Juan Pablo Montoya - Dragon Speed Racing USA #21

Paul di Resta - United Autosport #23

Stoff Vandoorne - Jota #28

Giedo Van Der Garde - Racing Team Nederland #29

Anthony Davidson - Jota #38

Robert Kubia - Team WRT #41

Kevin & Jan Magnussen - High Class Racing #49

Will Stevens - Panis Racing #65

Felipe Nasr - Risi Competizione #82

Roberto Merhi - G Drive Racing #25

Plenty of other familiar names in the field too - Callum Illot (former F2), Nyck de Vries (former F2 champ, recent Formula E champ), Norman Nato (former F2, current Formula E), Sam Bird (Formula E), Louis Deletrax (former F2), Alex Brundle (son of Martin), Tatiana Calderon (Alfa Romeo), Sophie Floersch (current DTM, former F3, girl who had the huge Macau crash), Beitske Visser (W Series), Sean Gelael (former F2, father supported many other careers including Stoff), Manuel Maldonado (cousin of Pastor)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Doesnt De La Rosa hold the Bahrain lap record since 04? I think he was only subbing for Montoya at that race iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Idea: Malaysian Grand Prix revived to replace Japan.

Discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Malaysia has had about 5 times as many COVID cases per capita as Japan.

Yes, I know they're heading to Russia and that rat-licker Greg Abbott's state, but:

1. Money talks
    2. I'd imagine a Malaysian GP would either slot between Turkey and USA or Brazil (if that even happens) and Da'esh Gold Taliban With A Few Extra Zeroes On Their Balance Sheet Saudi Arabia, and quarantining would be a tad tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,681 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Billy Monger on Channel 4 now or on plus 1 from 9pm

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Less than one week to go to the Belgian GP 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 15,681 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Has this happened?

Juan Pablo Montoya just won the triple crown?

Monaco 2003

Indy 500, 2000 & 2015

And now Le Man's. 

Or does it have to be a certain category?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Have to win Le Mans overall, he only won his category (LMP2 I believe) so doesn't count towards the triple crown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Yeah, he needs to win overall, not "just" LMP2. He's probably angling to get into an LMH or LMdH ride in the next few years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Killinator

Even at that he didn't win the LMP2 outright, he won in the Pro/Am sub class

Qatar possibly on the cards for F1 this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Mercedes dragging the ass out of decision making yet again - https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes-hint-driver-decision-delay/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I think the decision has already been made and both drivers know about it. Bottas out, Russell in. Mercedes aren't making it public as it would put a huge spotlight on Bottas to keep helping Hamilton and Mercedes for the rest of the season even though he has lost his seat. The British media would make him the scapegoat if Hamilton gets beaten.

Toto Wolff is under investigation by the UK Financial Standards Authority for illegal insider trading related to purchasing Aston Martin shares shortly before announcing the deal between them and Mercedes that caused a huge jump in the value of those shares. Lawrence Stroll is implicated too. It will be interesting to see if there will be any repercussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

It seems like way too big of a coincidence for it not to be true. However, I'm sure Toto would have been well aware of how it would look and wouldn't have gone ahead with it if he wasn't fully sure he could get away with it.

Post edited by muckwarrior on

Looks like a very wet race ahead this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Thanks, we now know who to blame if it's bone dry.

God I miss the :pac: smiley.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Must do a few laps in the rain at Spa in Forza Motorsport 7.

• Advertisement

I love watching Max in the rain, his race in Brazil in 2016 was INSANE. This save.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement