Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

There will be a rise in incel related terror attacks

Comments

There's a lot of white knights in this thread. Ready to defend the ladies and pour scorn on the Incels.

Pretty much par for the course. There is something to this Incel lark. I am happily married although could have been described as Incel up until a few years ago as I spent many years single. What I found was that, say for our parents generation, there was generally one man for one woman and people tended to couple up and start families quite young. By contrast with online dating, I find that 90% of the women compete over the top 10% of guys, who in turn can play the field as they are inundated with options. This leaves the women and the remaining 90% of men unhappy and living off scraps. It's just very unhealthy and the only real winners are the top echelon of guys who don't want to settle down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

This is the problem with this mindset and why you have to go for who you are attracted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

I'm not sure exactly how it would work, but the boffins and Apple etc might be able to figure out an algorithm which could identify dangerous incels, or those who propagate the ideology online? It is probably the number one terrorist threat in the west at the moment, so surely advanced state/private sector surveillance is warranted? I imagine we would all feel a lot safer knowing that the incel faction were eliminated from society. The only question is how we would go about it. This remains to be seen.

I find it a bit disconcerting when men who condemn hatred of women are referred to as white knights. As though the alternative would be better...

A guy looking for someone and having no joy and feeling lonely and sad about it - he's not the person being condemned here. And a guy who's just single certainly isn't. Why would you have been described as an incel?

The "whatever colour pilled" woman haters are those who are being condemned... and to a lesser extent the ones who aren't as hostile towards women but spout off all that "chad", "cope" shyte and ignore reams of advice and reason.

There's your mistake (and a mistake for a lot of other people).. you're judging dating by online dating.

Online dating is generally superficial, far too focused on sex and cheating, and is full of people lying about themselves. The genuine people are caught by the nature of the internet, whereby people have unrealistic expectations due to the emphasis on physical beauty, and variable success with marketing oneself. People are too used to presenting a side of themselves online which doesn't exist outside of it, and therefore, people are going to be disappointed when actual meetings happen.. and even then, the superficial nature of online dating (with it's strong emphasis on sex) means that few encounters have any real meaning.

People really should get off the internet, and meet people in the real world.

The literal meaning of involuntarily celibate has been cast aside. "Incel" means the woman haters.

But "incel" is used as a label for the misogynistic crowd. I don't think it's correct either but it has become a negative term for a negative person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭growleaves

Disagree strongly. There was one guy a few years ago (Elliot something?) and then one guy recently in the UK. There are always people with personal problems who occasionally flip. 'The number one terrorist threat' Lol. There are only a handful of these guys on a few web sites. Without media magnification they wouldn't have one-thousandth of the cultural influence they've had handed to them.

No, I've been lonely, I've never been an incel. Being an incel is self-declared, and indicates that you ascribe certain viewpoints to the fact that you're lonely. In particular, the idea that your loneliness is a wrongdoing on society's part, being forced upon you. Have you tried googling it?

The first page of results includes: "Incel: A new terror threat?" "Why incels hate women" "Incel: a person (usually a man) who regards himself or herself as being involuntarily celibate and typically expresses extreme resentment and hostility toward those who are sexually active"

The very first hit is Wikipedia:

An incel is a member of an online subculture of people who define themselves as unable to get a romantic or sexual partner despite desiring one. Discussions in incel forums are often characterized by resentment and hatred, misogynymisanthropy, self-pity and self-loathing, racism, a sense of entitlement to sex, and the endorsement of violence against women and sexually active people. The American nonprofit Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) described the subculture as "part of the online male supremacist ecosystem" that is included in their list of hate groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Unless you subscribe to the misogyny, misanthropy, self-pity and self-loathing, racism, the sense of entitlement to sex, and the endorsement of violence against women and sexually active people you are not a true “incel”.

What’s that old saying again? It’s not the size of the fedora, it’s how you tip it.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Anti-social terrorism. I've heard it all now. In fact, I so badly do not want to live in a World where its a thing, I hope the first attack gets me.

Strange, I always considered that to be a dry spell.

Honestly people, it's not that hard to get laid if you are willing to drop your standards somewhat, get off your ass and explore further afield. It's mostly comes down to a numbers game at that point.. but if you're staying in a place with few numbers, you're sabotaging yourself. right from the beginning. The problem is that people expect it to happen because they went to a nightclub or opened a profile on tinder. Hardly any effort made at all.. and the world hates me that I didn't succeed with my lazy approach to getting laid.

A guy feeling lonely and sad is simply a guy who is having a dry spell. An incel is someone who wants sympathy for that, and support while swimming in the associated bitterness. Ever notice how some people seem to be happier when they're depressed and able to chat with other depressed people about it? A group swim in the sea of depression and angst over the state of their lives, while doing very little to change their circumstances. That's what an Incel is.

I used to have some sympathy for incels, but honestly, I've lost my patience with them, because it's all so pathetic. Just hop on a plane to Barcelona, Turin, or Berlin. Get a single room in a hostel (private), and boom.. your dry-spell will likely be gone within a day or two. Likely cheaper than a night out drinking in Dublin too.

There are definitely those who just want to wallow and do nothing about it, but I don't think it's that easy for some guys to get laid, due to psychological barriers. And not all people want to drop their standards and just carry out the physical act and leave it at that.

Plus there are guys for whom being lonely is not a dry spell, it's just life.

There are always options. The problem being that they require some groundwork to be done.

There will always be some guys who are rarely, if ever, be successful.. but they're a distinct minority. The remainder need to acquire confidence but when they have a posse of online friends willing to stoke their bitterness, there's little incentive to gain that confidence.

I don't need to. It's bs. Involuntary celibate. Good lord. People who say these things are turning into Americans far too hooked into the social sciences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Words and phrases morph over time. Susie Dent would tell you that. Incel no longer means those who are going through a dry spell no matter how long. It now has a more sinister definition.

Post edited by Fighting Tao on

Words change meaning over time. Misogynist still exists. Misogynist does not equal incel, as it is possible to be misogynistic without being an incel.

That is what incel originally meant. It has evolved since then. There are other examples in the English language, e.g. literally does not only mean what it originally meant.

• Advertisement

Incels are an informal movement. A club for frustrated and bitter men. A group. A phrase that allowed the claiming of identity, and connecting with others with the same identity.

Thats not true.

I'm anti fascist but im certainly not Antifa.

No one is disputing the origin of the word. However, you are disputing that it means more than it originally did. Words can also have multiple meanings.

A female incel might be the truest incel there is! If you're a woman and an incel you're really doing something wrong. However I certainly don't think they represent the terroristic threat that male incels do.

And Antifa is short for Anti Fascist. BLM is an acronym for Black Lives Matter

That isn't to say that anyone who opposes fascism is supportive of Antifa or anyone who opposes BLM thinks that black lives dont matter.

Just because you can't get a ride, doesn't mean you are an Incel.

No it doesn't.

An incel (/ˈɪnsɛl/ IN-sel, an abbreviation of "involuntary celibate") is a member of an online subculture of people who define themselves as unable to get a romantic or sexual partner despite desiring one.

FFS, if I was going to be labelled by Reddit users I would be a cishetronormative, cis, heterosexual, person of privilege.

Step away from the internet chief. Just because you can't get a ride doesn't mean you need to jump in with the self defined incels.

• Advertisement

I haven't had a ride yet this week. Am I an incel?

How long do you have to go without sex to be an incel?

Absolute bullshittery

I'm an incel right now under that definition. I would like to have sex, but I am not at this moment in time. Maybe later today I won't be an incel. 😂

It's about a starting point.

If you're struggling with an issue you ease yourself in. Someone that picks up tennis in the morning isn't going to be winning the next Grand Slam. Social skills and gaining confidence are not going to arrive with the sun in the morning.

I was painfully shy around girls when I was younger. I then started secondary school, which was mixed, and within a few months of sitting beside girls in class, hanging around at lunch, etc... that shyness went away. I went from not having the ability to talk to a girl to "will you meet me?"

A lot of INCELs (and I ain't fond of that word) do be like "I'd treat her better than her boyfriend."

Well, how does anyone know that, because you're sat in your room and you've typed it on the internet?

Or if they see one of their famous internet personalities with an average looking boyfriend it's "He must be rich, have a great job and a 14 inch mickey."

These fellas need to get off the internet, get outside and interact with women.

"These fellas need to get off the internet, get outside and interact with women."

This has been the repeated advice in this thread. However, the OP and one or two others don't seem to want to leave their bedrooms. They rather moan.

The etymology of the word incel stems from the two words, involuntarily celibate. Unlike say religious people, who choose or vow to be celibate, there are some people who do not choose to be celibate. This may be because physically they are unable to function sexually, as a result of injury or illness or any reason which inhibits their ability to have sex. These people may be entirely happy with who they are, they may even be married and have perfectly healthy relationships in every other way.

Then there's a cohort of individuals who believe that involuntary celibacy applies to them because they are not sexually active. That's not to say that they can't "get the ride" but that they have "limited options" and that through no fault of their own, have no choice but to be celibate.

Of course there are women who are involuntarily celibate just by virtue of the definition but they don't form part of the incel sub culture. This is primarily because it is specifically a male domain which tends to attribute blame for the lack of sexual activity solely at the feet of women. (and by extension society)

Also, it may be that women probably don't get so bogged down by lack of sexual intimacy to form a cult based on it and that might be because they are more socially adaptive in nature. They tend to place greater value on intimate personal relationship than intimate sexual ones. And chocolate cake.

• Advertisement

"the state of abstaining from marriage and sexual relations"

No time frame specified my dear.

You seem to be the expert.

So I will ask again, how long does it have to be since the last time I've had sex, despite wanting it, until YOU would claim that I was an incel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Most terror attacks beyond the moving peds down, street stabbing, arson level, are the work of intelligence agencies. IS-K appears out of nearly nothing in Afghanistan long after the Taliban put them under ground. Poor young men are an easier target than Moslems or whoever preoccupies them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Uff... let's not import this US incel shyte over here.

Ah... actually being an incel comes down to personal judgement??

Bit of a stepdown from your previous assertion that anyone who was unable to get a ride is an incel.

You're confusing the etymology of the term with the meaning of the term.

The word 'incel' was created by self-declared incels. 'Incel' is a term they created to describe themselves. The term has meaning beyond it's constituent parts.

Since you're hung up on the wording, let's think about it for a sec. 'Celibate' means to choose to abstain from sex. So 'involuntary celibate' is an oxymoron, because you can't choose to do something involuntarily.

Plenty of terms have been created by people using existing words - it doesn't mean the term bears the meaning of the constituent words. You can't eat 'browser cookies' just because 'cookies' is part of it. If 'Flat-Earth Truthers' call themselves 'Flat-Earth Truthers', does this mean they're ones with the truth? No. People call themselves all sorts, and those names take on meanings. Look at Republicans and Democrats in the US - are they purely just 'people who believe in a republic' and 'people who believe in democracy'? No - these are existing words the two groups have taken to describe their belief system and the political community they belong to.

As I said, I've been lonely but I've never been an incel, because that is a belief system I do not ascribe to, which belongs to a community of people that I want nothing to do with. Hell, just google it - even Wikipedia does a good comprehensive explanation of what it means.

Unfortunately they're already here via the internet. They're organised, motivated, and prepared to do unspeakable things to advance their ideology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Incel subculture is wrongly named because if you don’t make an effort you are not involuntary celibate. You are celibate by choice. It is a choice not to approach women. It's a choice to wallow in self pity. It is a choice to spend all day in echo chambers backing up your beliefs.

For those who identify as incel in this thread, what have you actually done in the past year to improve your situation?

So you don't think people have choices with how to improve communication skills, remove hatred, take steps to improve their lot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I desired sex last night but the wife was tired so I couldn't have it.....then when we woke up this morning, we both desired sex, but we had to start work....are we both incels for the rest of the day?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

But you gave the definition of, 'desired sex and couldn't have it'...I matched that definition....it's almost like the word has some sort of deeper meaning than just breaking the portmanteau back into its constituent parts...

Well that's a leap. Your definition of feeling lonely is 'desired sex but couldn't have it'?

There are bigger differences in our understanding of the English language than I thought.

I think it's like 6 months before you're reaching incel territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

To a degree certainly but it's also wise to be realistic ,a very attractive woman has a lot of options and you need to offer more than with a plain woman

I can offer an opinion and give a bit of advice but there's not much I can do about your reading comprehension.

I'd suggest that Incels are doing little to make themselves appeal to the women they're trying to be with. Getting angry over not being handsome enough, not rich enough, not <whatever>. Choosing women whose interests/desires don't match where the incel is in life. Becoming frustrated that they're not being accepted for "who they are".. except all dating is marketing, and if you want someone, you have to cater to her desires (appearance, fashion, education, social status. profession etc) ... not your own. Unless you already meet her desires, but I suspect few Incels actually do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

If that's the case there would have been a lot of incels during the pandemic. I'd say its more like 6 years. Even at that you could argue its just a dry spell, albeit a long one.

Advertisement