Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Came up against a couple of fellas that benefited from the WHS for interclub. Player A previously scratch got a HI of 5.3 and B previoulsy 5 got HI 11.1.

We were playing them in a match, 4ball betterball. I've never seen Golf like it from Player A. he had 3 birdies and an eagle, and player B had 4 birdies. We got to the 16th and lost 3&2. there was a couple of putts that would have dropped we would have kept with them but not to be.

Surely this is negligence by the Handicap committee that it didn't adjust these guys back down closer to what they were previously playing off?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

100%. The Handicap secretary has been remiss in his duties in order give the Interclub team an unfair advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Those golfers must have wanted to be off those handicaps as well though. Cant blame the handicap secretary for it all. When applying an increase in handicap, the sec is supposed to talk to the player about it. I can tell you I would hate to be given an 11 handicap so if the 5 wanted out to there knowing hes better than that handicap then he has a lot to answer for.

Still, they only won on 16 with 8 birdies and an eagle, so you and your partner must be better than your handicaps also

I would hate to be given it too.

Well we played well and used our shots well. We have both lost shots this year, but when the new system came in we stayed the same handicap. I stayed around 9 and my playing partner stayed around 12. we were 1 under gross for 16 holes. They were -8 for 15 holes as they both scratched the first. To be fair to them it was impressive cant take that away from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Jason_Arch

From reading what you're saying it seems to me that the new system worked exactly as it should have here. Say the guys you were playing were playing off their old handicaps, despite 7 birdies and an eagle between them, it looks on the face of it that the result would've been reversed with you winning more or less on the 16th too and that's not including those putts that you said could have dropped.

How negligence could be claimed is beyond me, their current handicaps couldn't be a fairer reflection of their average ability seeing as its based on a mathematical formula. Everyone is going to have good rounds and bad rounds, it was just unfortunate for you in this instance that those guys were maybe playing slightly beyond their HI on that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭blue note

It seems to me like a lot of people want to damn this new system based on a few anecdotes. But the way to assess it in the first instance is looking at whether or not it's working in the main. So looking at lots of clubs over a year at least and seeing what sort of stats it throws up. In theory you should have a similar chance of winning regardless of your handicap - is that the case? If there are a hundred players in a typical Sunday comp, is a scratch player who plays every week likely to win one tournament every two years? Is a 30 handicapper likely to win one every two years? Obviously there's more room for improvement with the 30 handicapper, but I suspect they come down in handicap far more gradually than people think they do. But the only way to know if this is the case is to look at a lot of data. And then we could look at the anomalies. Until we know what's normal in the system we don't even know what the anomalies are.

And as regards interclub, I used to hear so much giving out about people manipulating the system under the old handicapping system. I assume that will continue. But I assume I'll hear people give out about it like it's a new issue due to WHS.

New system makes it easier to manipulate handicaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭moycullen14

This. It's also very sensitive to the structure of your last 20 rounds and the spread of scores therein. I think over a period - assuming no sandbagging - it's probably quite accurate but on any given day, you're handicap could be a couple of shots over/under your long term average.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'd like if they looked again at the slopes. Our slope is 125 off the whites and 128 off the blues. So I get an extra shot off the blues but the blues adds around 450 metres extra to the course and it's probably closer to 4 shots harder than the whites.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

This a hundred times over. Looking at my course handicap in Tramore it's the same from the Blues as the greens in spite of being an extra 486m. That's 27m per hole! I'd say an extra 3 shots should be given to play off the blues.

And comparing the slopes on different courses, I'm just not convinced they're reflective of their relative difficulty. Also, how much do conditions come into the calcs? Not enough is my suspicion.

And that is the big issue really. I suppose we just aren't used of the big jumps. Maybe i am too quick to judge, I have been looking at my own scores.

My low this year is 7.4, currently 7.8. In 8 rounds if I don't get my form back, which I have lost from the start of the year,(6 round in the 70's got me down) I'm going to jump up to 11. To someone looking at my record it will look like i have gone out on purpose, they don't know my form. To me when I look at it its frustration as I'm still hitting the ball well. Old system I would be getting to max 8.4 this year, which i would prefer because that's my goal, but it wouldn't be a reflection of current form i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭paulos53

You have the same handicaps from Blues and Greens due to the fact that Ireland and Great Britain decided to apply a different course handicap formula to the rest of the world. I have never seen an explanation as to why they are allowed to do this

If an American had the same slope and course ratings on his home course then he could have an extra 3 shots off the Blues

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Be kind of weird to have that incorporated into the slope ratings surely?

Sorry, I was talking about weather, but thinking about how much they come into consideration when calculation your score differential for each round, not taken into affect with the slope ratings. To take an extreme - I've seen comps won with points in the mid 20s on really bad days in corballis. So in that case a guy would be the best out of 20 or 30 golfers (very small fields those days) and have a very high score differential.

But without talking about the extreme days, on a day where it's just very windy the scoring will be way down on the average. The average golfer shooting 4 shots worse would be fairly normal I imagine. How many shots does WHS take into account when calculating the score differential?

This obviously comes into it far more on links courses where the weather will be the biggest defence of a course. But it strikes me as a limitation of the system.

I don't know what that stands for. I'm guessing playing conditions calculation or something?

As far as I know the playing conditions are considered in calculating the score differential, but I have a feeling they're capped at 2 shots. Which to me sounds like it underestimates the impact of weather on the scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I think its the clubs who set the PCC for a course right? I presume there is some sort of calculation done based on the scores and the club has the option to amend PCC then? Maybe my perception of difficult conditions is off though, I'd lean towards trusting an algorithm over my opinion but that said going back through my scores there was only 2 PCC adjustments made, one was a +1 and the other a -1. There were at least 3-4 occasions where poor weather likely impacted scores that I can recall, one was a major Saturday where it rained pretty much all day as well as being windy, the bulk of the qualifiers then came from the Friday and Sunday with something like less than 10 getting in on the Saturday. No PCC correction was made which resulted in a lot of unhappy campers as you can imagine. There were a few days where conditions were so perfect I was sure there would be a -1 adjustment as well but there wasn't, if there is a calculation based on average scores then I'm happy to leave it as is.

That certainly doesn't sound like enough to me.

I think the average round is something like 32 points, or was under the old system anyway. On a Sunday where the weather is bad (in which we'll have a few every year, so I'm not taking about that 50 year storm in point break or anything) you can have fewer people with over 30 points than under 20. Certainly the average score will be far more than 3 shots lower than a normal day. In which case, I think the score differential should reflect this.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 1 of 7

Just in terms of applying the PPC, Should the club make an adjustment for a captain’s day prize or similar, When the course is set up more difficult with faster running greens and pin locations or is it just mostly weather related?

I would have thought taking it out of the hands of the club would be the smart way of doing it. You'd need a minimum number of competitors for the average score to mean something. But say you had 50 guys in a field and the average score was 30 points. Whereas the average score is normally 32 points, put an adjustment of 2 onto the score differential.

Obviously you can make the computation more complex, maybe you should take out the outliers or something, but I would have thought basing it on the numbers would be the most accurate way of calculating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

How much did CSS vary by under the old system?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

from https://www.whs.com/articles/2019/playing-conditions-calculation.html

When abnormal course or weather conditions cause scores to be unusually high or low on a given day, a Playing Conditions Calculation (PCC) will adjust Score Differentials to better reflect the player’s actual performance. This mechanism works by a statistical procedure which evaluates acceptable scores submitted each day and compares them to the expected scores of those players. The PCC is calculated automatically, so there is no additional work for players or club administrators.

Since scores made each day are used to determine if an adjustment is needed, it is important that players submit their scores on the same day of play. The PCC is designed to be conservative and generally won’t result in an adjustment unless there is strong evidence to suggest it is necessary. Adjustments will range between -1.0 (when the golf course is playing easier) and +3.0 (when conditions are more challenging) and will be applied within the Score Differential calculation.

By including a Playing Conditions Calculation, the World Handicap System recognizes that a high score in harder playing conditions may be better than a good score submitted in easier conditions. This helps to ensure that the Handicap Index of each player will continue to reflect their demonstrated ability, regardless of the conditions in which they play.

It could go as far as you wanted, but over 4 (I think) it became reduction only for handicap purposes.

What do people think, is this fair? In my view it's not. On a bad day you could have a fella win a comp with 35 points. Out of 100 competitors that was the best score, it might be 10 shots better than the average. But if he's off 18 it will go down as a score differential of about 16. When on a normal Sunday comp he might need a score differential of closer to 11 or 12 to be top of 100 other guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

They are going to continually review slope ratings for courses.

Ours are being done this month again I think. Didn't look for it as far as I know. We were just contacted and asked to reserve a certain amount of the day for it to be done and that was it. Will be interesting to see if any of the ratings get adjusted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

A bit more than anecdotal evidence I did a comparison of our results last year compared to this year.

The median handicap for players in the top 3 has increased by 6 shots.

And for players in the top 5, single digit handicappers accounted for 15% last year and has dropped to 2% this year.

As a single digit player myself I felt that players around my level were largely unchaged by the new system. I was 9.4 old and 8.6 new so playing off 9 either way and could see that trend among a lot of single digit players. All the extra shots seem to be in the higher end where a bigger variance plays a larger part I guess

Advertisement