Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 US Open

Options

Comments

Djokovic has Zverev, Shapo, Berrettini, Carrreno-Busta on his side of the draw in the bid for the Calendar Slam

But could only face Berrettini of those before a semi final

Qualifier, Struff, Goffin 3rd round, De Minaur 4th, Berrettini 1/4 final going on seeds if Djokovic gets through each round.

Medved and Tsitsipas on the other side

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Not a bad draw for Djokovic till the semis, but really, the mens draws are starting to be as competitive/inconsistent as the womens so it's hard to know who will end up getting that far (apart from Djokovic). Zverev is the form player on tour but is as likely to loose in the third round as win the thing.

Murray has a hard first round against Tsitsipas, otherwise its hard to get overly motivated about it at this stage to be honest.

that's not really true.

There will never ever be the case in the mens' what the WTA produced at Roland Garros this year where you had the 4 semi-finalists having a ranking of 18, 30, 32 and 72.

And typically you get more than 4 (at least half) of the top 10 tournament ATP seeds making the quarters where in the WTA you might easily have only have 2 or 3 left at that stage (or just 1 at the French Open 2021).

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Zverev now has the missing ingredient, maybe? You need to lose one to win one. When he is on form, he is almost unplayable. if he can hold that 2nd serve together he might go all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Murray Tsitsipas ... hmm would not surprise me if Murray beat him.

• Advertisement

Tsits has Murray on the hip in this encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

Emma Raducanu came safely through the qualifiers, but has (on paper) a very tough R1 match against Jennifer Brady, who but for injury would be seeded much higher than 13. Btady's lack of match fitness may give Raducanu a chance, With so many big names missing, that match is likely to be on a show court, probably Armstrong or Grandstand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Zverev denying domestic violence allegations which have resurfaced in the last few days, not exactly the kinda preparation he needs in the build up to the USO. In my opinion he's probably the biggest threat to Djokovic, but, his focus could be distracted by this, he has shown in the past that he's a bit flaky and liable to concentrate lapses, tbf he has improved this aspect over the last year, but, certainly, not ideal circumstances for him leading into the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

Sloane Stephens has just squeaked past Madison Keys 6-3 1-6 7-6(7). A pity their 2017 final wasn't as competitive.

Muguruza beat Vekic 7-6(4) 7-6(5). Halep beat Giorgi (Rogers Cup winner) 6-4 7-6(3). Two potential banana skins avoided there.

Murray 1 set up on the third seed, 6-2

• Advertisement

Murray had it at 6-4 on his serve in the tie-break and blew it.

Tsits was in danger of losing 8 grand slam sets in a row!

Murray got distracted going on about his court shoes losing grip doing the Murray shouting-at-himself thing that was still going on after he lost the tie-break.

And he only has 1 pair of shoes it seems!

I think that Murray may have lost his chance but will see - he has already played his best tennis in this match since he had his injury.

The two lads were sporting a disturbing look in general in the second set as the heat and humidity got to their shorts and a not-a-good-look see-through shorts thing ensued.

Amazon coverage not bad with Courier and Henman on match commentary but they do have that pearl-clutcher Catherine Whitaker from the Tennis Podcast in the studio.

She's a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I knew Murray would win this .... good win for him .... but God he is so unlikable ...

Tsitsipas is such a bottler, he will win zero grand slams .

"Would not surprise me if Murray won" to "I knew Murray would win this" - mmm... !

Not over yet either.

Tsitsipas will win at least 1 slam.

The quality of the camerawork in the coverage at the US Open seems ahead of what it was at Wimbledon or the French Open

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

2-1 to Murray 😎 Would love him to take out that dope Tsitsipas. Still wouldn't be surprised to see him lose in 5, but keeping the fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Good lord mens tennis is about to enter into an absolutely rotten era haha. Fair play to Murray though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Murray seems to be enjoying it out there. He is playing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

...rage, rage against the dying of the light..

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Difficult to know what the future holds, but I reckon we'll be heading for a time where there'll be three or four reasonably consistent players dividing the slams among themselves, with the odd Hurkacz-style randomer thrown in here and there. Like let's say Djokovic and Nadal were gone in the morning, I think we'd have Zverev, Tsitsipas, Medvedev and possibly Rublev dividing the slams between them. I'd expect Sinner to start coming good and challenging for slams also in the next two to three years. Don't know if all the aforementioned players will still be competitive by the time Djokovic retires, but I think that's possibly where we're headed.

Most likely Alcaraz also.

He only turned 18 in May and is world-ranked 55 already.

Sinner was in the 200's at his age.

• Advertisement

Tsitsipas taking the mickey with these extended breaks between sets. Crowd getting on his back now.

too much repeated whinging though from Murray - he should really concentrate on the match first and foremost

lost the second set mumbling to himself ad nauseum about his runners

• Registered Users Posts: 13,638 ✭✭✭✭josip

Hurry up, I want to go to sleep.

Ah that's just Murrays way. Always been like that. Tournament organiser is getting it in the ear. The press conference will be interesting afterwards.

Not much of a handshake from Murray!

Murray did well but if he wasn't whinging about his runners at 6-4 in the 2nd set tiebreak he could have taken the match.

Murray has always been a whinger but seems to have maybe gotten worse in that respect!

Didn't think that Murray would ever play at a decent level again - not sure if it can be sustained but did show something.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

I think you are probably right, I just think none of them will be in anyway popular to sports fans in general which could lead to problems for the ATP.

Alcaraz beats Norrie (26) in straight sets.

Alcaraz was in late July the youngest winner of an ATP event in 13 years when he won in Croatia.

Kyrgios beaten in 3 by Bautista Agut, with a bagel for dessert.

Medved trounces Gasquet

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Just watching the Osaka on court interview and I can't help but think that its all fake. I just can't watch her anymore.

If the tennis authorities want to change something here about this they will have to change the rules, simple as

Not saying I agree with the Tsitsipas interpretation at all but the rules are there in the 5 set matches and that's the way it lies currently

Murray himself had to change his clothes as his jockstrap was showing through his sweat-soaked shorts in the second set 🤮

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I don't have huge sympathy for Murray. He was busy still shouting at the umpire halfway through the final set, just stfu at that point and concentrate on getting the break back. Constantly shouting after every point, basically just stfu in general. I'd almost forgotten why I had never warmed to him. He was also celebrating like he'd won the match at the end of the third set, I should have bet the house on Tsitsipas winning at that point.

Advertisement