Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 US Open

Options

Comments

Video and transcript of Tsitsipas post-match press conference

Fairly open and honest in fairness

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Osaka smashes her racquet, gets a warning. Does it again in the next point and but no point penalty. Maybe Hughes let it go cause she was already dismantling enough anyway, but that really merited a penalty. Osaka loudly booed by the crowd.

Anyway, final set here we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

It has been car crash stuff from Osaka last few games. The umpire being a bit lenient with her after the racket throwing.

Osaka looks to be getting back on track in her last service game.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

i was going to say Naomi osaka hasn’t played great. The repeated racket smashing needs to be called.

• Advertisement

4-2 to Fernandez in the third set.

It is a tough watch because it is like Osaka just wants to get out of there. Taking no time between serves just rushing through the game.

Some winners being hit by both players.

Absolute magic. Between Fernandez, Emma Raducanu, and Carlos Alcatraz the teenagers are a breath of fresh air. They have zero fear and they are just a joy to watch.

Osaka gone. Don't expect she will do a press conference but that was some loss of composure during the match. Fair play to Fernández for holding it together and seeing out the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Very good match in the end. Saw a bit of a nasty side to Osaka in the end too, trying to stall Fernandez when she was serving it out. Not good, happy she's gone after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

Well, that was a shocker to wake up to, If I'd any inkling it was going to be that close (never mind a shock result), I might have stayed up to watch, although I was dog tired before it even started. Osaka is now going to take another "break" from tennis: https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/58446098

Those $50 million per annum sponsors must be loving their return on investment with all the breaks.

Not sure that much fitness and training has been put in. Bit of a Ned Kelly on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

Between 10 to 15 lbs out of shape seems to be the consensus. No surprise when she's played so little in the last 5 months or so: Only 13 matches since she lost in Miami at the end of March. She also seems to have problems against lef-handers. Her last 3 defeats have been against lefties: Vondrousova in the Olympics, Teichmann in Cincinnati, and now Fernandez here.

There are no challenges at the US Open this year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If tennis is making Osaka that miserable she should just quit. No job should do that to you, no matter how much it pays or how good you are at it. I'm sure she's made enough by now anyway to do something else with her life without ever having to work a day.

Wow Alcaraz coming out there yesterday and absolutely blowing Tsitsipas off the court for the first set and a half was one of the most exciting things seen in tennis in years.

Especially when you consider that Tsitsipas was actually hitting 72% of first serves in in the first set but he was broken 4 times in his first 6 service games.

Guy is a returning beast player - like all the very elite-level ones are - it's the most important ability in tennis.

Then to be able to rally back after his game going off target in the second set and from 5-2 down in the third set to take the breaker and again, after he couldn't even serve properly due to a cramp or injury to win the match in the fifth with groundstrokes and all-court inventiveness.

To be able to do that and win 2 tie-breaks in the biggest tennis stadium in the world on your first appearance there against the world number 3 who had gotten into his full game rhythm.

Has it mentally also.

If he's not injured Alcaraz has a chance of getting to the semi-final here if he can back up that performance.

A star is born.

What a night of tennis was last week. Nadal said back in March that Alcaraz was going to be a star. It was some game of tennis he played yesterday.

As for Osaka, I was thinking last night that she could walk away from tennis. No point in playing if you can't handle the pressure of the game. Tennis is a mentality game and anything off mentally you are going to be in trouble. I thought she didn't look fit out there last night and in the last set she was tanking those first few games with not taking time between serves. Probably best for the girl to walk away. She has a enough money to live a quiet life. Quite how her sponsors will feel will be another thing.

Actually Alcaraz is now favourite to win his quarter

No pressure.

(ignore legacy Tsits odds)

Yevgeni calls it.

Can't disagree.

Youngest player to reach the US Open fourth round since Michael Chang and Pete Sampras in 1989.

Just as some old goats are gone out to pasture, the new kid takes his place on the court.

The future of men's tennis looking bright with this guy who really has it, unlike what some were scratching on about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,847 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Looking forward to the Raducanu match

As am I. I’ve caught the end of her two games but now I get to watch the game in full. That Djokovic match could go on a while if the first set is anything to go by.

First blood to Nishikori. Now how many games does he win after this?

That second game took a while. Raducanu is 2-0 in the first set.

She is hammering her so far!

4-0 playing some lovely stuff

Emma Raducanu is 5-0 in the first set.

Make that 6-0 and she takes the first set. It’s nuts she’s only 18 years old.

Djokovic not fluent here

Lost the first set but a break up in the second

He wiped the floor with Nishikori in the Olympics

Sorribes-Tormo will have nightmares over this match.

• Advertisement

Raducanu wins...6-0, 6-1

Wow some performance!

Relentless

Advertisement