Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭conor05

Why are Kerry producing so many light, soft nice skilful footballers?

You would wonder if a row broke out on the pitch would they back eachother up,they don’t look like they type of squad,

Lads who go hiding when the going gets tough in big games.

What have the Limerick hurlers and Dublin footballers up to this year have when on top? They had some serious tough yokes who would saw you in half just to win the ball.

Kilkenny had it from 2006 to 2015 too.

Im not advocating Kerry to be dirty, I hate filth but they don’t have that killer mindset, ravenous hunger to win at all costs.

And you can’t coach that, Brian Cody used to attend every single Junior, intermediate and senior match looking for that type of ruthless player and he’d mix them in with his star players.

Gearoid hegarty was a footballer playing with a junior hurling club in Limerick.

Time for Kerry to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

#McgahanOut

David Clifford seems a few pounds over for an elite level footballer. I know he is still young and played brilliantly but just a point of note for S&C.

Sean o Shea is completely flat footed and could do with the help of a good technical running coach. Again I don’t know how this hasn’t been spotted and fixed.

Mike Breen has the frame to become an intimidating defender if developed properly and possibly a future CB.

While he had a good game Tom O Sullivan is still a bit light even in comparison to White and Begley who got a bit stronger and faster to be fair to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Not only would workhorses like Galvin and Walsh transform that team, you need to unearth an Aidan O'Mahoney or two as well. A lad who loves defending by any means, foul or fair.

I do think a bit of pride has to be swallowed too and maybe play a system that protects the defence. Dare I say it- a sweeper. To me Tom O'Sullivan and Crowley are the only out-and-out defenders ye have, maybe Morley is adequate at full-back.

Leaving SOS and Clifford inside, with a link-man between defence and attack, closing off space and using quick transitions up the field when the ball is turned over, would get more success than the current slog.

Somehow getting Mark O'Connor back from AFL would help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Beating a hasty retreat out of Dublin this morning, christ what went wrong. From being at the match! The solution seemed as simple as "take your points". Must watch it when I get home. Again we failed to win a tight game. I was very angry after the game, cork 10 months ago and now Tyrone, it'll be interesting to see where we go from here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

We certainly are lacking Eamon Breen Liam Flaherty Aidan Mahoney type defenders... guys who are strong characters...

i don’t think there is one player in that Kerry team that would hit a lad a belt of a fist... not one... I’m not advocating that kind of play.... but ya know if you were a forward would you be intimidated in any little way by the lads in the Kerry defence.... didn’t think so.... now imagine if you were a cork/Clare/Galway etc. hurler and you were playing limerick.. ur going in corner forward and Sean Finn is there... or wing forward and Byrnes/Kyle Hayes is there to greet you... some difference

watching back the game this morning... twas a strange game... Kerry tried to walk the ball into the net several times... got turned over a lot in 1st half... we had more than enough possession to win match comfortably... we conceded 2 easy goals.. 3rd one was absolutely comical stuff... we have serious issues dealing with high balls into square... 1st goal was poor as well... David Moran and Jason foley trotting back not a bother on them made no attempt to pick up runners etc... we got 22 scores versus tyrones 17... we only lost by a point... and could very easily have drawn it ... yet Tyrone looked the better team for the duration of the game... and for me the better team won but Kerry could easily have won game by 6 or 7 points... even though looked to have played poorly....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,231 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The Limerick hurlers are on S&G since 16 years of age. Problem.in Kerry we seem unwilling to scarifice a bit of speed/skill for strength. It's impossible to really up strength/ bulk in a year or two especially as players get older. You need to develop it from sub 20 years of age

We seem unwilling to pick average footballers that are 6'-6'4 and develop them as defenders. We seem to want to play wing forwards as wing and corner backs.

Looking at the selection decisions three to four player from Kenmare/Templenoe lost out positions it was as if it was felt there was too many if them on the team from two clubs that just entered the senior ranks. Fitzgibbon, Morley, Kllian Spillane, Crowley and Adrian Spillane seemed to be nearly relegated off the bench.

I taught all of these calls were very marginal 1-2 did not weaken but Crowley/ Murphy was definately a wrong call. Neither do I think necessarily putting Jason fullback or Ryan in goals strengthened the team. If the KS was an isolated call you could see the reasoning of holding him for coming on. But add the other calls in and you definitely have to question them all

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Im not sure it was personnel decisions that cost us yesterday necessarily, I think it was more an approach/ game planning matter. Running repeatedly at that packed Tyrone defence, we played right in to their hands and the Tyrone sideline must have been astonished at our foolishness. How on earth any inter county team in this day and age doesn’t have a plan for what Tyrone put to them yesterday is beyond me. Looked to me that Kerry expected a handy one and were looking past Tyrone, either that or we are a long long way behind where we and a lot of the media thought we were.

Some blame also lies with the players and of course all the messing v and rearranging dates didn’t help but at the end of the day only one team showed up properly prepared yesterday IMO

Some interesting decisions ahead for Tim Murphy

If you read a few of my posts earlier I gave my analysis why we lost the game. I do not think I ever mentioned personnel. But I do think the way selection went since towards the end of the league has been a bit questionable. I think the blame for the result yesterday lies simply in that we tried to create goals instead of popping the ball over the bar, especially in the first half when we were winn every Tyrone kickout.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭wonga77

Agree 100%. Especially at the end when Tyrone were just doing everything in their power to stop the kerry players getting up the pitch. I have no doubt that he would have given a free if Walsh had gone into contact.

Its a pet peeve of mine also but alot of the county panel are completely shielded from their clubs, our club has a county players who has got a few minutes here and there but the club havent seen him all year. It would be far more beneficial to him if he was playing a bit more with the club. Hard to stay up to pace when you are only training

The best thing chairman Tim Murphy could do next week is drive north of Abbeyfeale up to Limerick manager John Kiely and his backroom team during the week and find out what modern S & C is needed to land All Irelands. (or atleast finish a 70 minute game without players cramping)

Or maybe try and find somebody like Carline Currid a top sports psychologist who could foster some mental steel into the squad.

The game has moved on something serious since Kerry last landed Sam in 2014.

The smallest man in Limericks half back line is Declan Hannon and he is 6 foot 2.

We need to have the best of the best backroom team available to be the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

What would lads think about Kevin McCarthy being brought back in? I think he would have been solid to stop runners yesterday, we are missing a really teak tough defender like that. Peter Crowley's presence was hugely missed and noticed also.

He seems to think his time is up due to off field antics, but jesus we could do with him imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,693 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Couldn't Mayo say the same thing about the Connacht Championship? They have only one (sort of) meaningful rival, just like Kerry in Munster. Or, indeed, Dublin in Leinster. Most people would have predicted those three provincial champions back in the spring. It's a fairly lame excuse, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

Yeah, it might be fairly lame but expect it to be trotted out again if Mayo lose to Tyrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,693 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Maybe, maybe not. We'll see. Good to see you acknowledging that it was a lame excuse, though.

I do not think it was the conditioning was the issue. Strength is an issue but that is a 2-3 year game not a 6-8 month fix. It's our game plan which demands a huge amount of running. The amount of runs out wing and corner backs are expected to make are becoming unsustainable. I like to see the comparison between the Kerry and Tyrone trackers and I expect that a good few Kerry players had a lot of high intensity run's out in.

Stats show that elite GAA footballers are covering longer distances, with higher intensity run's in a game than Soccer and right players. Add to this that a GAA game is 80 ish minutes ( Inc injury time) compared to 95 ish minutes in a soccer game and up on a hundred in a rugby game.

I am not sure if we can drive conditioning much farther. I think we really need to adjust our game plan

Slava Ukrainii

I don’t want to whole heartedly disagree with you because you make some valid points but they talked about Tyrones relentless running out of the defence and the speed of that transition from defence to attack on the Sunday Game.

Tyrones running during the 79mins of normal time was savage, Kerry’s put in the hard yards too.

Kerry cramping up in normal time didn’t look good and this is related to fitness and conditioning.

While Tyrone did hard running on the majority of times it's only 6-8 players break. The workload is shared more evenly than the amount of running that Kerry players make. A zonal defensive system saves energy as well. Players are not following a Kerry player over and back across a pitch. It's the amount of runs that these players have to make that saps energy and the workload is loaded onto them.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

So if Peter Keane does go

Who should replace him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Nobody obvious waiting in the wings. I think he will probably get another year if he wants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Maurice Fitzgerald

• Advertisement

Peter Keane and background team. It’s important they all go. Griffin, Fitzgerald, Foley, Falvey and Mcgahan.

Tomas O Se might be looking for the job after he gave Peter a shove on the Sunday game ha ha.

Knowing Kerry GAA they will look backwards which would be another massive mistake. Fitzmaurice probably the most likely and he will sap the positivity out of the team. The man is a bore and I don’t know how any team could listen to him for a whole season.Aidan O Mahoney prob be brought in for S&C even though he is a beginner and nowhere near the standard required. This would be typical Kerry Gaa.

Personally I think we need a professional who can come in, get us winning, set up a long term structure for player and coach development. I think Jim Mcguiness is the man for the job with Kieran Donaghy, Tomas O Se , Donie Buckley and Joe O Connor as backroom team. A bit out there I know.

Declan O Sullivan might be a. Option. He was with Jack O Connor over the minors fir a few years. Thomas O Se, Kiera. Donoghy. In a way the manager I'd not the most critical component. Look at Kiely with Limerick it's the people in the structure around him. His S&G coach is after going to Ulster Rugby, that ei tell you how good ther were to be be hunted by a professional sports team. Kinnerk top class coach was actually a football coach changed over to hurling.

The manager job is actually to manage the team and training structure. We need to look at coach, S&G, video analysis, stats, physiologist, backs coach etc etc. It's not a one man show.

Should not be someone from present management. They had there chance they blew it wrap up the tent and move on

Slava Ukrainii

McGuiness could never manage a team line Kerry. It would be like Murnihno at Spurs, ya bring him.in as a backs coach but not as a manager

Slava Ukrainii

It’s this type of thinking that has us where we are! Declan o Sullivan as manager, are you having a laugh! What coaching credentials has he got, none! Past top players don’t necessarily make top class managers. In the past the quality of our players have papered over our tactically naive managers.

As for Mcguiness, the man coached Donegal to an All Ireland in a defensive manner. I’d be quiet happy for Kerry to win one playing any way that works even if it goes against the Kerry ethos. The Kerry ethos isn’t getting us anywhere in the modern game and to be fair to the man his tactical knowledge and awareness is one of the best out there.If he breaks a few eggs along the way so be it, maybe it’s what is needed. You imply he would be too harsh, straight talking and arrogant for our players and I would say that’s exactly what they need. As implied on the Sunday game last night, they are a bunch of softies!

Ya spot on there is no one jumping out of the crowd as a possible new manager, plenty of candidates for selectors inside the county

But there is a need to go outside the county in the coaching side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Talk of McGuinness shear nonsense lads and will never happen anyway so you can get that out of your heads.

I rewatched the match again yesterday and all this talk about how bad we were and how great tyrone were, didn't really hit me. First off I wonder how fit DC was even starting the game! Also everyone up there was saying how tyrone were so much fitter then is and we need to change our S+C regime. After tyrone pulled 5 ahead(thanks to J Barry having a houler) we were well well on top. And we started taking our points. We easily looked the fitter and stronger team then, they looked fairly spent. We brought it back to 2pts they pushed it to 3 and we came again to bring it to a single point. Then it was game management on the field that let us down with the wrong man taking on the scoring chance.

What galls me now is we lost a game that could have so easily been won, and yes some players had shockers, JB +DM were very poor, as was geaney overall. But the burden of this defeat must rest squarely on the line. And to hear PK after the game say "we missed our goal chances and they scored theres! And that's the story of the game", really angered me. He was like a man that thought we would rock up to a semi final and blow them away. Obviously the homework had not been done to the standard required by a management team. They must know now that they have left us down bad twice in 10 months. I hope they decide to do the right thing and realise its them that blew it and step aside. If they stay on! They could win an All Ireland next year but we run the risk of a third major blunder if they do.

Some plp here have been pointing out all year that some of pks decisions even in the big wins were suspect, PM starting at center back when runners down our center were the problem! I could go on.

I think Fitzmaurice is our current most tactically astute option, and i believe if he was in charge the last day, it would have been a different story. Yes he's monotone, but he's the manager not a coach. Like Kyle Hayes said after the hurling final when talking about there management, "you never see them, And that's the way they want it" .

We have some great servants to kerry football in that team and to think some have only 1 or zero all ireland medals is not good enough. Time for change for sure.

What about Liam Sheedy of Tipp for the kerry football job?

He has won the All Ireland twice with Tipperary.

I know he is from a hurling background but he is supposed to a unbelievable motivator, leader and gets the best out of a bunch of players.

it is time to start thinking outside the box in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

It's a disgrace nobody has mentioned that fella who coaches the rowing team down in skibereen. Obviously he's great at the S&C and we could do with a few lads "pulling like dogs". Those rowers are all big and strong, Kerry are persisting with small players so he'd be be a great man to fix that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

Jack O Connor seems to be interested in another stint.

Advertisement