Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Any sign of TJ O Mahony getting their kiln dried beech 400kg pallets back?

Burned 4 over the last two winters and they are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

With the increase in timber over last year how much of an increase are we expecting to see on firewood this year? Havent spoken to my supplier yet but expecting some sort of an increase like everything else

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just had a look on https://www.logsforsale.ie/price-list which is Monahans (though their main website is down atm). Prices there are the same for 2m3 of oak/birch (350/370) as they were last summer. But they have discounts right now on 1.2m3 of oak, it was 270 last winter and right now it is 243 which is a decent deal delivered to your house.

But I would doubt that offer will last because as you say there is a shortage of timber at the moment and prices have been going up acroos Europe due to construction sites being shut down and now high demand as they open up again

If you want to be certain of avoiding a price rise Id say buy now. Some fuel merchants might let you pay now and deliver to you in October/November, it is worth asking. Last year I bought in early September but didnt have it delivered until the first week of November, that was with Monahans

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Wood used for burning is a different type to timber used in houses. Only larger logs are used for saw logs. Its more pallet or staking timber is used for firewood. Actually a demand for saw logs could encourage more forestry wood into the market and prices for pallet, stake, firewood and fibrewood could actually fall a bit at wholesale level

Slava Ukrainii

Well that would be good if it happened. What kind of wood do these use for timber frame construction, presumably some kind of hardwood that is breathable or are softwoods preferred for being less dense?

• Advertisement

It would be what are called saw logs. these generally are the bottom part largest trees at clear fell. You may take some out at the last thinning as well .It would soft woods used in nearly all construction unless you need structural strenght in the wood or are leaning timber exposed on the inside of the house and you use hardwood for visual effect

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Firblog

If you have the room, is this a good deal? Midwest Firewood - Premium Firewood Delivered - Order Online

Ive never burnt larch but read before that it is known as a 'hard softwood' which is good for stoves. That said before buying such a massive trailer load Id pick up a bag or two of it and test it at home for both how quickly or slowly it burns and its moisture content. But if it burns well and has moisture below 20% then 250 euro for 4m3 delivered is a very good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

A lot of the Ash and Oak firewood sold in pallets comes from Eastern Europe, with the increase in freight charges, prices will probably increase this coming winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Larch is not a good timber for burning. I have access to plenty of it but only it in small amounts with other timber.

• Advertisement

All fuel is dependent on price and the quality( moisture level) of the wood. If larch is well seasoned then it's good as any other softwood and better than some of the pallets of hardwoods that are stored outside and wet in the middle of the stack.

Only provisio is that the wood in a trailer is loosely packed not stacked in the load. Therefore the smaller loads may not be exceptional value but the 8 cubic meter may represent value.

If lads search around they may find lads selling large bags of wood. Sometimes it is stacked. There are 2-3 size bags 900 mm, 1m and 1.2 meters. A 1.2 meter bag is 1.7 cubic meters sometimes you can get wood stacked in the bags of these for 80-90 euro. It probably better value than the loads

The other factor with timber is how far you can shut down your stove and get it to burn away. If you can shut down you stove enough larch is as good as anything for its price

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

It’s my own larch that I’ve burned in the past, no amount of seasoning and drying makes it burn clean. The soot in the flue after larch is horrendous.

I only use it in the brazier now, and only then because I have so much of it.

I wouldn’t give someone a present of larch for their stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

I got mine in July and he mentioned that price hikes incoming that I timed it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Apologies for asking question on thread but great contributions from people to OP question so far on best type of wood to burn and how whether it’s dry or not matters.

I had 4 or 5 medium sized trees that had come down in storms last Winter lying on fences here,mix of Ash and Sycamore mainly.

Got a man in to do the initial sawing up of them in field around a month before the real hot spell in July.

Circumstances meant I couldn’t get the wood lifted from fields then but will do so in next week.

Will then be getting loan of a wood splitter to block the big stuff into manageable pieces to fit into Stove we use it in over the Winter. At moment a lot of it is still in big circular blocks from when cut up for base part of trees iykwim.

With the very wet weather we have had since the wood was cut up I’m just wondering how long it would take to dry out sufficiently to use in stove without moisture going up into flue and leading to a buildup of stuff in it.

Would be building the blocked timber into a garage that you can leave the big door open in to help dry it out.

Apologies for long post and thanks for any replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭webels

Really you won't air dry that timber for at least 12 months. Only chance you would have of drying to <20% MC is if you split it thin and have plenty air flow from all sides. If you could stack on pallets outside with the top covered with quite heavy gauge plastic that is the best way to dry I find.

Realistically though firewood needs a year unless kiln dried.

Ordered a pallet of kiln dried beech from the co-op superstore.

Headline price is ok at 189, but the ridiculous delivery brings that up to €239. A good €30 more expensive than tjomahony. There's slightly less wood in it too, so more expensive again really.

I guess it would depend on your location too though. Delivery for me was free with TJ, not sure if the co-op is distance dependent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Separate out the ash to burn first. It will burn with very little seasoning compared to most other logs but would obviously burn better with more seasoning.

Only other concern I'd have with burning wood is if you mix it with coal. The moisture in wood can combine with some of the combustion gases in the coal and create acidic compounds which in turn can eat your stove.

Burn one or the other rather than a mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Maxxx17

I think it's a good idea.

What's a good idea?

• Advertisement

Back in stock €199. Excellent wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yobr

Is the Coop offering on Oak better value 800 kg versus 450kg in o’mahonys?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I got 1.3 cubic metres, 750kg from Burnwise delivered. It cost €240 and is a mix of oak and ash. May not be the best price but there is not a huge range of options around Dundalk. This will be my first full winter and I expect it to last it along with about 0.6/0.7 cubic metres I had left from earlier this year.

Guy delivering said their prices should remain static up until the end of the year as they stocked up well in advance.

Post edited by Fighting Tao on

That looks great, I can't order it for delivery though, in store only. Might be worth while to give them a ring.

They hardly expect people to sling that in the back of their Micra's.

Not available online or instore according to them today.

That's a shame. Was some deal.

Indeed it was, i went for the O'Mahony offering in the end.

It's great timber. Two in the stove at the start of the evening and one block an hour from then on in.

Keeps a 6kW stove throwing out great heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭herrdood

Added 3 x bags smokeless coal to make a TJ O Mahony pallet beech free delivery to County Limerick.

Counties where we deliver:

Wexford, Wicklow, Dublin, Meath, Louth, Westmeath, Offaly, Laois, Kilkenny, Carlow, Kildare, Waterford, Tipperary, Limerick, Clare, Galway.

Our current delivery rates are.

• Free delivery on all orders over €250 to the above Counties.
    • €9.99 for deliveries to counties where we have a branch
    • €35 for deliveries to all other non-branch counties

• Advertisement

Just got a text earlier from Monahan's saying that their prices are going up on September 17th. It didn't say how much the increase is.

Last year I paid them before an increase in September but didn't actually take delivery until mid November so they should be okay with that for others who want to avoid the price hike

Advertisement