Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Ah they're different to what I posted about above.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

They expand a small amount but nothing special, we used to use them as a big firefighter when in a hurry, throw some ovoids around them and lump on a bit of wood when it’s raging

friend of mine moaned about these before and I found out he was poking them and they obviously went straight into his ash pan

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It unlikely the risk is that they will fill the stove. It's more likely that gases they produce may not dissipate or may be slightly explosive

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I just looked at the packaging and it doesnt say what they are made of. I know its likely compressed sawdust but there might also be some kind of chemical in there that delvers an intense heat and has potential to crack the glass in a stove door. Ive decided not to risk going against the instructions on the packet which say do not put in a closed appliance. Whatever the reason is it must have potential to damage the stove or else release gases as you say. I will give them to a neighbour who has an open fire given thats what they are intended for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I would not be overly afraid as long as only one is going in the appliance at the time. The risk often with products like that is that you would fill the stove with them then the intense heat from.them could cause multipe issues.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

yeah I think you're definitely right that one at a time would be fine. But Im going to leave it as I have regular logs there anyway. I literally just bought the packet of them in Lidl on impulse as I needed to spend 25 to get 5 off with a voucher so they were effectively free anyway. Will throw them over to a neighbour instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Coill1

Hi folks

i used one of the Lidl fire logs in my stove last night - works fine & did heat up the stove to be fair. Once you control the flame (I closed the damper accordingly), it’s not a bother. (I added fuel after an hour, not hour & half as on the pack)

I ordered a bundle from ecofuel. I know it would be possible to get the items cheaper individually but I also saved a fiver from their points system.

(1) City Bag® Bundle | ecofuel.ie

Is €75 expensive for one of those bags of logs? They say it's 1/4m3 bag. I ordered the ash.

If anyone likes the look of ecofuel, I can refer you and we each get a tenner discount.

Post edited by Wheety on

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

Doesn't seem like too bad a price for what you ordered but their pallets of wood are very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Skipduke

would you not just order a trailer of wood or turf? for 75 euro I would have used that many logs in 2 nights.seems expensive.

• Advertisement

We only have a small wood burning stove and I've liked the wood briquettes/eco logs I've been using so far. Wanted to try some of theirs and saw the deal. I'm thinking we should just move to the briquettes and forget about logs. Much easier for us to store, they have lower moisture and give off good heat, for us anyway. My wife is not quite ready to let go of logs just yet so when I saw that bundle I said I'd give it a go.

Those logs would last us at least a couple of weeks. Probably only burn 3-4 in a night. But I've found the briquettes will last a good while so I'll see how we get on with those ones.

Was shopping around for an order of a 2m3 crate of oak for delivery in early January. Went back to the usual supplier Monahans who were 350 last winter, then they went to 370 in August/Sept and now its up again to 415 which is almost a 20% increase in just a few months. Have people been finding similar price rises on crates on their own orders compared to last winter?

Found a local merchant doing 2m3 of oak for 400 so reckon I will use them. But if anyone knows of cheaper for 2m3 of oak (or 2 x 1m3) please post up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭Treppen

Finglasfuels.ie have 2m crate for €395

Can't remember what delivery costs, think it was free as I got bags of coal on top.

They might do you a deal if you order coal too! They have bags in the special offer section.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Shipping gone through the roof and supply issues haven’t helped

sooner the dept of ag get their **** together and sort out the licences in Ireland we might see some levelling off

yeah I believe there is a huge backlog of trees to be felled but they cant till licenses are issued. Seems a bizarre system in the first place that you need a license to cut your own trees down.

Hopefully when things do improve we will see prices come down rather than 420ish being the new floor for 2m3 of oak/ash. I saw a fair few places asking 440-450 as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭Treppen

Is there any "farmer lad with a trailer full" selling firewood around Dublin?

Wouldn't mind stocking up for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭snor

Where are people getting kiln dried logs by the bag in S Dublin area? No storage unfortunately. Any deals around? Many thanks.

You'll find a few of those types on Donedeal. Its going to be air seasoned firewood rather than kiln dried so make sure its dry enough. Theres good deals if you have the space to store a trailer load.

Woodies and B&Q both sell bags of kiln dried hardwood, I think they are around 8 euro a bag. And no, there is not really any good deals when buying small quantities. Check your local fuel merchants as well, they might be marginally cheaper. Just try to avoid the softwood that petrol stations and Aldi/Lidl sell, it can be awful stuff and burns very quickly with not much heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

Yeah the price of wood has gone crazy lately. I don't buy small amounts myself but Wasn't so long ago you could get a bag of hardwood for a fiver but I have seen them lately from 8 euro to 10 which is insanity

2 x 1.2 Cubic Metre Crate of Kiln Dried Ash or oak Firewood Logs for €570 from coughlan fuels in cork is good value and where I will be going again when my current supply runs out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Burnwise in Dundalk were €240 for 1.3 cubic metre crate recently. Free delivery locally, and they deliver nationally, but I don’t know the cost.

Got my delivery from Ecofuel. Is it ok to stack the kiln dried wood like this in my shed?

Looks perfectly fine, will that last long ? It wouldn’t last me long and I’ve only a small stove

We have a basket full in the sitting room too and I didn't empty the 'City Bag' fully yet. Thought that was enough on the shelf so I'm working from the bag.

We only have the fire going from around 5-9pm. Been trying out some of the wood briquettes/logs lately and finding they're great for the first hour or so to get the fire nice and hot. Then we'll probably only use 3 or 4 real logs a night.

This is the City Bag. Was part of the deal. €75 on it's own. Around 4ft tall and stacked to the brim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Anyone stocking up ahead of more price increases?

Any tips on where to look?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

All I see is high prices and low availability. One company I bought from a few times has closed down.

Coughlan fuels cork is still the same price thankfully, I’m running low and I trust them going by previous experience

yeah Im thinking of stocking up as I can see prices going up further before winter and Ive nothing at the moment except for the wood from a small tree that was cut down locally and that needs to air season until next summer before its dry enough to burn anyway.

Id normally buy from monahans.ie who are in Kildare but deliver nationwide. Just looking now and 2m3 of kiln dried oak is 489 which is up from 430 last winter and that was up from 370 the winter before. Their website says the current 489 price is 50 euro off so I wont be surprised if it goes to 539 when the heating season is underway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

• Advertisement

yeah it would seem that anything beneath 500 euro for 2 cubic metres of oak is a good price right now as I had a scout around and saw one place charging 550. Oak seems harder to get as well, not all places are doing it any more and Im seeing a few there just selling 'mixed hardwoods' which could be anything at all. Have also noticed the Co-op dont have oak or ash but are instead selling beech at 499 and thats for a smaller crate of 1.8 cubic metres. So prices have gone up and quantities have gone down with some places

For those in county Dublin though this would appear to be a very good deal- 445 delivered for 2 cubic metres of oak or ash, thats closer to last winters prices than what is going to happen this winter with more rises in transport costs

https://finglasfuels.ie/logs-for-sale-dublin/

Advertisement