Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any other women here vote NO for the 8th?

• 26-08-2021 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

I'm a 28 year old girl, half Swedish, half Irish. I grew up in (very progressive LOL) Sweden until I was about 18 and moved here about 10 years ago.

I voted no to the 8th specifically because I knew where it would lead. Unconditional and limitless abortions and essentially being used as a contraceptive.

It should strictly be limited (in my opinion) to rape, FFA, ectopic pregnancies etc.

Am I alone?

Comments

Where has it led?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

I voted yes because no woman should be forced into a pregnancy they don't want.

"used as a contraceptive" yeah, much easier going and getting an abortion than any actual contraceptive. That argument is so disgusting.

No.

But thankfully those of us who don't believe in forcing women to continue with unwanted pregnancies, out voted you.

End of discussion.

I'm sure you're not the only one but thankfully you were in the minority of people who seemed to think they had a say over other women's bodies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

In the three years since we repealed the Eighth Amendment, have you any evidence that abortion has been used as a contraceptive? By anyone at all? Ever?

No, I didn't think so. You didn't know where it would lead. It hasn't led there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I'm a 29 year old lesbian single mother of five. I had several abortions before I settled down and got a few lads to horse some sperm into me. Unlike all those other women, my abortions were for good reasons. Little Britanininay had to go because Ramadan was coming up and I didn't think I'd be able to fast, Brandon would have made me not look great for my sister's wedding and two weeks later, I nearly had Aria until I found out she'd was a boy. These were difficult decisions decisions for me but if it wasn't so easy to have an abortion, I mightn't have had all of them - like who can turn down free abortion pills in your bag of ecstasy. I just wish they made it clearer which pills were which.

When the referendum came around I had to vote no. People should only have abortions for reasons that I agree with. Well, I meant to vote no but I didn't register in time. These days, I leave the kids to play in the streets and when I know that they're safe, I hang around hospitals throwing eggs (unfertilised) and hurling abuse at women who don't look pregnant enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

i voted yes. I believe abortion should be safe, legal and rare. In an ideal world there would be zero abortions but we don’t live in that world. None of us truly know what goes on in another person’s life.

I find the argument that abortion should be illegal because some women will use it as contraception bs tbh. If a woman finds herself having multiple abortions, maybe she isn’t best placed to carry a baby to term or become a mother.

"I knew where it would lead. Unconditional and limitless abortions and essentially being used as a contraceptive."

Within what time-frame will all of this occur? Seeing as you know.

The 8th was in 1983. If your post is to be believed, you didn't vote in the 8th, because in September 1983 you weren't even born. Indeed, you weren't even unborn.

You may be referring to the 36th, which was an amendment to repeal the 8th. Then again, you may not.

By the way, it's a bit ineffective to try to strictly limit things using a list that has "etc." at the end. A list tends to lose its "strict" character in that case. You might be better off defining the "etc."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭pgj2015

"my body my choice" is disgusting to me. what about the unborn babies body?

• Advertisement

That's the issue. Unless you are sure in your conviction as to when an abortion is morally ok, then you are neither pro choice or pro life.

You either believe life begins at conception, birth or where brain function/viability applies.

Brain function and viability differ with each individual instance.

If you were to criminalise abortion at 12 weeks, would 11 weeks and 6 days, 23 hours and 59 minutes be ok?

Could you explain why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You should choose not to have an abortion, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Bin? Dumplings? Dog food? The sky is the limit.

Now rinse repeat like any other thread on this topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I'm opposed to abortion under any circumstances past the point of where the life inside can feel - process pain.

The exception being when the mother's life is in danger

I abstained from voting as nobody could answer my question, when does the life inside start to register pain

Prior to that point , I don't oppose abortion

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

OP - I’m sure there were indeed some women who voted against the 8th Amendment back in 1983, but I very much doubt, given the time elapsed since and the fact that most boardsies were either very small children (like myself), babies or indeed not yet born - that many of these progressive thinking and brave women who went against the grain 40 years ago are posting here today.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion - but it really never ceases to amaze me with all the reactionary, judgmental and grandstanding posters who inhabit these forums.

Unborn baby is a contradiction in terms.

But, I do agree with not aborting late stage pregnancies. 12 weeks is still early.

My grandmother, mother and father all voted against the 8th in 1983. I got my first period in 1983 - so you could say the 8th Amendment overshadowed the whole of my reproductive years.

I voted to repeal so my daughter and other women would have the right to decide for themselves.

I agree everyone is entitled to an opinion, and they got to cast their vote based on that opinion.

But its time all those "reactionary, judgemental posters" who 3 years after repealing the 8th are still attempting to shame women for ending unwanted pregnancies, to stop.

No one will ever force them into having an unwanted abortion. They can continue on with their lives as before.

And other women now have the freedom to make different choices, based on their own conscience.

The majority ruled. The legislation was passed. Its done. Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It really didn't go far enough IMO: the first twelve weeks of pregnancy?!

It really should have been the first 12 years.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

You do know that voting against the 8th Amendment in 1983 essentially meant that one was voting not to tighten up the already draconian and archaic Victorian era abortion laws? Those Irish voters who did not agree with abortion being completely illegal would all have voted against the 8th back then.

I also voted to repeal the 8th, and have been pro-choice since my college years in the 1990s, so I think you got the completely wrong impression from my first post...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Apologies, that post wasn't actually aimed at you, iykwim .... I wish they would bring back selective quoting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

You're not alone OP. Just very much in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

I don't get the argument of the pro aborts.

They usually squeal "you lost, get over it" when talking to a pro lifer.

The thing is, the pro-aborts lost ... they lost several referendums* previously. So why didn't they put up and shut up as they advocate themselves?

*before anyone resorts to grammar Nazism, as some people do when they're losing an argument, referendums is a perfectly acceptable plural for referendum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,615 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The answer I find intriguing is the type that just about brought themselves around to vote for it and believe it should be safe, legal, and rare, fair enough but once rare is added to the argument it's still trying to control women choice over their own bodies and its form of doublespeak why can't they stop at safe and legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Nah, you weren’t and aren’t alone by any stretch. I know of a few women who voted against repealing the 8th amendment precisely for the reasons you did, and a few more of their own besides.

Don’t know any women who are half Swedish, half Irish who moved to Ireland 10 years after growing up in Sweden though, but you’re probably not alone there either 😏

That's not an argument of a 'pro aborts' whatever one of those is.

There is no argument.

Women can now have total control over their own bodies.

It's basic human rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,248 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭mojesius

I wouldn't have an abortion myself but it's not my place to decide what other women should do if they face difficult circumstances, so I voted yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭wench

Only the 8th amendment went in favour of restricting abortion.

The subsequent attempts to restrict information or the right to travel, and to remove suicide as a grounds for abortion went in favour of the pro choice side.

Not as difficult a circumstance the fetus finds itself in. oh yes I forgot, the fetus doesn't matter, fcuk the fetus, its all about what the woman wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭jay1988

Why the concern over what other people do with their own bodies? Its nothing to do with you, anti-abortion? Fantastic, just don't have one and keep your nose out of other people's business and you'll be grand.

But pgj2015's point was that in their opinion it isn't just one body. I agree with them - I don't like phrases like "My body, my choice". And I voted yes, but I think such phrases are dishonest. The reality is that it is the ending of life, but there are times when the mother's life should be prioritised early in the pregnancy.

Notwithstanding the obvious difficulty in obtaining the opinions of the unborn on anything really, the fact of the matter is that it was a matter of Constitutional law, which pertains to a society, which by definition is a matter of concern for everyone in that society and indeed those who are not yet born. It’s not simply a question of what other people are or aren’t permitted in law to do with their own bodies, especially not in matters where the State are involved and are regarded as the guardians of the common good in Irish society.

That’s one reason why for example the 12 week limit exists and abortion and the legal rights and obligations involved are not simply a matter for the pregnant woman in question to decide upon for herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Killinator

People against abortion always saying it will be used as a form of contraceptive.

Why does it always need explanation that a contraceptive is used to prevent conception, if a person is getting an abortion than conception has already happened so an abortion does not prevent conception as per the definition of a contraceptive!

Not surprised that many of the people making the claims don't understand how any of this topic works in real life though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Homelander

Hate this argument. Give people the choice to chose for themselves and let them worry about any potential consequences that may or may not arise, what is so difficult about that.

I don't care what others do with their bodies, you want black eye tattoos, go ahead. I couldn't care less. But I really cant get my head around the fact pro abortion people just think abortion just involves a woman only, it doesn't. Abortion seems to be an excepted form of murder in Ireland now. I wont be getting an abortion either as I am not a woman but that doesn't matter, I am still entitled to my opinion on the matter.

I think a lot of people just voted yes because it was the popular thing to do, everyone else was doing it so I will just vote yes as well.

Some women need to see past the "men are trying to control our bodies " point of view. see it for what is really is.

im sure the women who were out with placards for repeal the 8th think they are loving caring people but I just cant get my head around the fact they are ignoring the reality of what happens the unborn fetus.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭FullyComp

I voted yes too on the basis that as a man I have no place telling any woman what they can or cannot do with their own body.

You are right though that there will never be another person the same as the aborted foetus. It absolutely is an ending of life and a tragedy when it occurs. It can be difficult to reconcile the mother's right to not have to carry the pregnancy with the contrasting need for the entity in the womb to survive.

When you think of how helpless a new baby is and the amount of care they need it does also beg the question of what's the difference between caring outside the womb and caring inside the womb. I decided on the basis that if a mother decides not to care for her baby someone else can step in potentially whereas this is not a choice in an early pregnancy. I guess you could call me a reluctant yes.

I have to say though the cheering of the result and celebrations were extremely distasteful.

That is ok, but what else is it? was the fetus living before the abortion? was it alive after the abortion? if not, how did it die?

• Advertisement

It's definitely not murder anyway, go and try report someone to the guards for murder after they have an abortion and watch how hard you're laughed at.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,830 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Im going to say it, and I'll get castigated for it but....

The world could actually do a lot of contraception right now.

The ability to give life should be reciprocal to the ability to accept it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Killinator

Murder: the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another

The important bit there being UNLAWFUL. So regardless of your stance, it ain't murder.

So it's now established it isn't a contraceptive as claimed and it isn't murder as claimed.

look at it this way. just say a woman is heavily pregnant and decides she doesn't want the baby and starts taking loads of drugs in order to end the life of the fetus, she succeeds. is that ok? or should she be charged with murder? or is it ok like getting an abortion is?

The men/politicians trying to tell us what to do with our bodies was all in their heads if you ask me. They created an enemy that didn't really exist.

Just because the law doesn't recognize abortion as murder in Ireland right now, doesn't mean it isn't murder to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Why don't you return to liberal Sweden as we have more or less become an American colony...

I have no view on your post as people can and will do as they please...

Considering the OP is from Sweden and grew up in Sweden, I would have thought they might have offered an opinion from their perspective of having grown up in a country where compulsory sterilisation was only declared unconstitutional in 2012 -

I took it that’s what they meant when they implied that Sweden isn’t nearly so progressive as it is often thought to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

are you saying women cannot control themselves without legislation...

Thankfully your opinion on the matter means **** all in the grand scheme of things.

• Advertisement
Advertisement