Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any other women here vote NO for the 8th?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Not as difficult a circumstance the fetus finds itself in. oh yes I forgot, the fetus doesn't matter, fcuk the fetus, its all about what the woman wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭jay1988

Why the concern over what other people do with their own bodies? Its nothing to do with you, anti-abortion? Fantastic, just don't have one and keep your nose out of other people's business and you'll be grand.

But pgj2015's point was that in their opinion it isn't just one body. I agree with them - I don't like phrases like "My body, my choice". And I voted yes, but I think such phrases are dishonest. The reality is that it is the ending of life, but there are times when the mother's life should be prioritised early in the pregnancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Notwithstanding the obvious difficulty in obtaining the opinions of the unborn on anything really, the fact of the matter is that it was a matter of Constitutional law, which pertains to a society, which by definition is a matter of concern for everyone in that society and indeed those who are not yet born. It’s not simply a question of what other people are or aren’t permitted in law to do with their own bodies, especially not in matters where the State are involved and are regarded as the guardians of the common good in Irish society.

That’s one reason why for example the 12 week limit exists and abortion and the legal rights and obligations involved are not simply a matter for the pregnant woman in question to decide upon for herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Killinator

People against abortion always saying it will be used as a form of contraceptive.

Why does it always need explanation that a contraceptive is used to prevent conception, if a person is getting an abortion than conception has already happened so an abortion does not prevent conception as per the definition of a contraceptive!

Not surprised that many of the people making the claims don't understand how any of this topic works in real life though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Homelander

Hate this argument. Give people the choice to chose for themselves and let them worry about any potential consequences that may or may not arise, what is so difficult about that.

I don't care what others do with their bodies, you want black eye tattoos, go ahead. I couldn't care less. But I really cant get my head around the fact pro abortion people just think abortion just involves a woman only, it doesn't. Abortion seems to be an excepted form of murder in Ireland now. I wont be getting an abortion either as I am not a woman but that doesn't matter, I am still entitled to my opinion on the matter.

I think a lot of people just voted yes because it was the popular thing to do, everyone else was doing it so I will just vote yes as well.

Some women need to see past the "men are trying to control our bodies " point of view. see it for what is really is.

im sure the women who were out with placards for repeal the 8th think they are loving caring people but I just cant get my head around the fact they are ignoring the reality of what happens the unborn fetus.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭FullyComp

I voted yes too on the basis that as a man I have no place telling any woman what they can or cannot do with their own body.

You are right though that there will never be another person the same as the aborted foetus. It absolutely is an ending of life and a tragedy when it occurs. It can be difficult to reconcile the mother's right to not have to carry the pregnancy with the contrasting need for the entity in the womb to survive.

When you think of how helpless a new baby is and the amount of care they need it does also beg the question of what's the difference between caring outside the womb and caring inside the womb. I decided on the basis that if a mother decides not to care for her baby someone else can step in potentially whereas this is not a choice in an early pregnancy. I guess you could call me a reluctant yes.

I have to say though the cheering of the result and celebrations were extremely distasteful.

That is ok, but what else is it? was the fetus living before the abortion? was it alive after the abortion? if not, how did it die?

• Advertisement

It's definitely not murder anyway, go and try report someone to the guards for murder after they have an abortion and watch how hard you're laughed at.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,822 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Im going to say it, and I'll get castigated for it but....

The world could actually do a lot of contraception right now.

The ability to give life should be reciprocal to the ability to accept it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Killinator

Murder: the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another

The important bit there being UNLAWFUL. So regardless of your stance, it ain't murder.

So it's now established it isn't a contraceptive as claimed and it isn't murder as claimed.

look at it this way. just say a woman is heavily pregnant and decides she doesn't want the baby and starts taking loads of drugs in order to end the life of the fetus, she succeeds. is that ok? or should she be charged with murder? or is it ok like getting an abortion is?

The men/politicians trying to tell us what to do with our bodies was all in their heads if you ask me. They created an enemy that didn't really exist.

Just because the law doesn't recognize abortion as murder in Ireland right now, doesn't mean it isn't murder to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Why don't you return to liberal Sweden as we have more or less become an American colony...

I have no view on your post as people can and will do as they please...

Considering the OP is from Sweden and grew up in Sweden, I would have thought they might have offered an opinion from their perspective of having grown up in a country where compulsory sterilisation was only declared unconstitutional in 2012 -

I took it that’s what they meant when they implied that Sweden isn’t nearly so progressive as it is often thought to be.

are you saying women cannot control themselves without legislation...

Thankfully your opinion on the matter means **** all in the grand scheme of things.

• Advertisement

well it means what it means to me and that is all that matters. I don't care if others agree with me or not. im not one who will be out protesting in the street about abortion. I am just giving my view on it.

This is boards there are no other women here Jeremy but glad the menfolk are here to help explain things for you.

Individual opinion not relevant here these things should never need to be voted on but the constitution had big input from the church it caused this problem.

The same marriage pretty much the same, i did not vote in either as i would not want to have any input as to how people want to live...

Yeah I just don't get the aggression like that directed at you. And I voted yes.

It goes without saying that I despise the hardliners who weaponise abortion against women because they have a problem with women, but it's unfair to equate all opposed to abortion with them. They just disagree with abortion. I don't agree with them all the time - I think they should try to understand how complicated it can be at times - but they're not bad people simply for having that view, and it's not hard to be civil to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Plus after x amount of weeks it is illegal so should those who's slogan is my body my choice still not be up in arms. I voted yes for the 99.9999999999% it is a very hard choice and not one I would want to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

people concern themselves with what others do with their bodies all of the time

if i punch someone in the face with my fist , others will take notice and be unhappy about it

i dont identify as " pro life " but some of the slogans employed by the " pro choice " identifiers are a plain dopey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I voted no, not that I'm totally opposed to the availability of abortion or anything, but the actual wording of the legislation enacted is more than eyebrow-raising: "Provision may be made by law for the regulation of termination of pregnancy."

Our politicians make law. Trusting these and, no doubt, future incompetent fools with a blank page is pure folly.

But alas, our population went with the media campaign, the anti-catholic church kick back and whatever Drisco's wife said... and passed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

OP, you say you know to where it will lead? Did the Yes vote lead you to having an abortion? Did the new law lead to you making any decision about your own reproductive health that went against your wishes or your instincts?

I thought not.

Imagine the arrogance of anyone who wanted to keep those constraints for other people, despite it not forcing anything on themselves.

• Advertisement

People have a lot more intelligence and decency than you claim, but it's seems to be annoying you that they do, while contradicting yourself.

Advertisement