Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭bkeane

I have only driven it a little bit, very busy with work and also work is being done in the house so no time.

Big difference from the 2012 Skoda Octavia diesel I was driving. From a tractor to pure peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tomister

Interested to hear how you find it and how many kms the 58kw battery does get. Hyundai are known to be realistic with the range so hoping they've done the same here. Did you go light grey or dark?

I've ordered one and they've confirmed it'll be December arrival for Jan collection - hoping it doesn't slip much

Dealer had 2 in stock, one Black and white leather interior which i thought was awful. Went with the light grey with black leather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Just saw one and I think it is hideous. It’s portrayed as something that looks like a standard hatch but bigger. Looks like an ugly Golf to me, and isn’t really any taller (to the eye at least).

Thankfully looks are subjective and that’s why the market provides variety of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,820 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Advertisement

I had the idea of a built in projector, ha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Obviously looks are personal opinion but you have to at least give them credit for trying to make something that's different. The i20, i30 and Ioniq aren't particularly nice but the new Kona and Tucson are nicer than the previous models.

I think the Ioniq 5 stands out and it's definitely opposite of what others are doing as it's not a round blob like everything else. It's a boxy yoke that doesn't try to be curvy and isn't a wannabe SUV. It's nice to see a car that doesn't have a stupid sloping roofline.

It's also like the ID.3 in the sense that it's an EV that looks like a normal car.

Do people who slash out 50k on a car every stop to think what else they could have instead. Because lets get real, a car is a car. A 500 euro yaris will drive the same a-b as the Ioniq5. Yet the guy with the Yaris has this in his drive way too

These new electric cars are like smartphones, everyone wants the latest one, and buy with their heart, not head.

Me i'd like the motorhome, and a cheap, even 5k car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’ve done it before. Ran a projector of a 12v supply via an inverter and projected onto a transit van. Sitting out by a campfire in bellmulllet

• Registered Users Posts: 19,880 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

its fair to say a motorhome isnt on the top of everyones list and you could extend your logic to anything, a house is a house, a pair of shoes are a pair of shoes, a watch is a watch.

Different people place a value on different things.

You do you as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,286 ✭✭✭✭fits

Motor homes are a bit rubbish in Ireland tbh. Been there done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Notexpectingtoeverusethis

Thank you for the review? Do you have any idea what colour the car you drove was? I've chosen a spec to order. I just need to choose a colour but I can't find many real world photos of the different colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

No objection to different, but it actually doesn’t look different, to me at least. It’s an angular Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,060 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The picture of the car that I drove is in my review :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BopperSnr

Well done on the latest EV. I’m also very interested in getting one but the lead times sound long. Are you saying that there is a dealer that has these in stock? I keep reading folks have to wait until next year to get their hands on one.

I went to Hutton and Meade in Blanchardstown to go for a test drive and they had 2 in stock other that the demo model. Said it would probably be months for if you wanted to order one. So I grabbed one of the ones that was there, smaller battery than i wanted but needed a car as my old Skoda had died.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

Matte paint care advice apparently from Hyundai as spotted earlier on the speakev website:

Worth a careful read for anyone who is thinking of buying a car with a matte paint finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Does the Ioniq 5 fit 2 boosters and a child seat in the back or even 3 boosters?

I haven't seen one in the flesh yet so no gauge on the space in the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭GusGus

I drove one today . It was the lower battery but in Premium Spec. Black with white interior . You cannot compare this car with a Golf IMO . This car is way bigger . Interior room was very impressive overall.

I found it to be very nimble tbh . Space inside and back was more than I expected and the retracting central console is very neat indeed as Is storage .

I found the ride very harsh and I drive a car that is already harsh and I too wondered if the type pressure was wrong in the car I drove .

the boot i found to be more than adequate unless you have few kids and lots of stuff . The interior is bright but I personally found it very plastic for a car that was coming close to €50k. There was still a lot of scratchy plastic on display .

id need to do a longer drive to see how she handles in bends but I suspect the weight of it is going to really hamper sharpness .

garage had a few coming in for early Jan delivery with more coming in March but they did hope that would change .

so would I buy one ? Mmmmn I’d prob need the home charger first even with the bigger battery and only doing smallish mileage . I do like the Premium spec but this then is a €50k car give or take . I’d need to do more thinking and check the ride as I’m not sure I could live with the bone harsh ride IMO .

• Registered Users Posts: 65,060 ✭✭✭✭unkel

No, the handling is fine. The batteries of dedicated EVs are all located low down, so the centre of gravity is really low. Combine that with instant torque and RWD and you can't really go far wrong with the handling and performance. Same applies to the VW ID.3 and ID.4, both too EVs made from the ground up with RWD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Notexpectingtoeverusethis

I wouldn't think so. It's wide across the back but they seem to have used the extra space to make the two outside seats very spacious. The middle seat looked narrower than I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I called into my local dealer just to have a look at the car in the metal and the dealer came out and was keen for me to drive it.

took it for a spin and was very impressed. It was a premium model with smaller battery.

very little not to like. I thought it would be a little quicker but it’s more than adequate.

Fit and finish is excellent and the vast majority of plastics are very good quality.

I reckon when these come into greater supply they will be everywhere. I have driven id4 and would much rather the Hyundai.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Just on the topic of suspension. I haven't driven newer Hyundai stuff but I spent close to a year in an i30 a few years ago. My Golf with sport suspension and bigger wheels is a firm but more comfortable ride as it soaks bumps up well. It's a much nicer ride quality than the i30 was as that would rattle your fillings out. I've driven similar Golf rivals from Opel and Peugeot and those are equally very rough in comparison.

As you said could be the tyres but the suspension is something I've noticed straight away when driving other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I thought the suspension was pretty compliant with an underlying firmness. Definitely not a magic carpet ride but I would have no complaints. I made sure to drive over a less than perfect road and you could definitely feel the suspension working and occasionally hear a muffled thump but I never felt the car was uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭PenguinForce

Is the premium plus worth it? Also what are the interior options?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,880 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

No eV makes sense without a home charger imo, that's the main benefit. Without one it's a pain.

First time trying to charge the car today. Used Easygo at a Lidl but it would only charge at 11 KW. I checked the app and under My vehicle it has the Ioniq 5 set to 11kw for AC. Changed it up to 50 and retried it and it went down to 5kw. What am I doing wrong or what should the max charging for AC be set to?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Sounds like the car was at a very high state of charge perhaps?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement