Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Next%- the ongoing debate

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

I've ordered a pair of those shoes. Can't wait to go sub 15.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Treviso wrote: »
    I've ordered a pair of those shoes. Can't wait to go sub 15.....

i will be following your progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

On Running Carbon shoe the Cloudboom

https://youtu.be/TaxvPxZd7No

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

On the new Asics shoes Kawauchi also broke his marathon PR with them.
    They have two styles Metaspeed Edge = for cadence runners (vary cadence AND stride lenght while going faster), metaspeed Sky = for runners who increase stride lenght only.

It seems to me that fast twitch runners for an event would be able to increase their force development per stride late in a race so it may be a fast twitch versus slow twitch argument. That said in events of extreme strenght endurance having runners that help you turnover late in the race may be beneficial (increased cadence to compensate for stride lenght loss).

At the moment I would categorize Saucony endorphin range (speedroll) as cadence and Nike% as stride lenght. I would have thought that the Nike% helping stride lenght would suit runners who don't need help with cadence and the Sauconeys might suit those who already apply good strenght to each stride but have relatively low turnover. I'll be back with more ramblings after I've tested my Nike% arriving today as my cadence is circa 190 so hoping for great things!
    Asics looks promising though.

https://runningmagazine.ca/sections/gear/asics-metaspeed-sky-and-edge-add-to-companys-carbon-plated-lineup/

"On the men’s side of the sport, Japanese running star and 2018 Boston Marathon champion Yuki Kawauchi ran to a 47-second PB earlier in 2021 at the Lake Biwa Marathon, where he posted a time of 2:07:27. Like Hall, Kawauchi wore Metaspeeds to help him to that huge result. The Metaspeed Sky and Edge haven’t been around for too long, but they’re already making an impact in the world of running."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

ariana` wrote: »

This exactly. Times are all relative to the individual, one man's sub 3 is another man's sub 4. I still remember the buzz of breaking 30 mins for 5k, it was no less a buzz than breaking 25 or 24 or 23...

The positive training outcomes in training periods following 'breakthrough times' (or even better than expected average times) can't be underestimated. I am on the way back from a long sedentary layoff now and the training times now (better than expected) are getting me out everyday in a positive mind frame. This is helping my running and enjoyment of running considerably.

I know it's due to the runners, but It's good value for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Interesting comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Did a virtual 10 miler (Cobh 10) today in my Tempo Next% - having chosen a flattish out and back stretch, I set off into the wind, immediately finding I had to dig in as it was stiffer than expected.

My experience told me I was hitting around 4:20-4:25 pace at this effort level. On checking my watch at 2k I was on 4:01 pace - I was truly gobsmacked.

Put in even 5k splits to take another 20sec off my recent 10k PB, before easing off to finish the last few k back into the wind. Only 30sec short of my 10 mile PB.

FWIW all my training has been long slow miles and hill running, no threshold or tempo work since December. I'm guessing I couldn't get close to these times wearing my regular Brooks Ghost!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Interesting comparison

Great so I don't need to go buy a pair of carbon plates for the boards TT. Phew.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

https://youtu.be/c-XUT0ynA3o

Endorphin Speed 2 wonder shoe??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Butterbeans

https://youtu.be/c-XUT0ynA3o

Endorphin Speed 2 wonder shoe??

If they're an improvement on the original, fair play. Lovely shoe to run in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Got a pair of the Endorphin Pro 2 recently (they day they arrived in the store!). It's my first experience of a shoe with a carbon plate.

The store owner (who I know and trust) told me that he had run in them and his experience was that he had to focus on strengthening his calves. He described it as running on your toes due to the forward roll - fine for shorter distances but tough over 18+ miles. He also told me that he had got 250 miles and counting on his first pair. He strongly recommended getting a few long runs in with them before attempting a marathon (sound advice - so I actually bought a v1 pair on sale to get more training miles in. I'd say the v2 are a bit more responsive).

I usually take a wide shoe so I tried out a half size up. ( This has been the reason I've never tried any of the Nikes.) The box is flexible and pretty forgiving so it was much more comfortable than I had feared.

My impression - I have done a couple of short races and a couple of 14-16 mile runs. At slow speeds they feel a bit unstable - you are aware of the stacked heel - at faster speeds I found I was not really thinking of the show - good or bad - but I was surprised to find that I was moving quite a bit faster than I expected for my perceived effort. Also my legs were a lot less beat up when done.

I'm a believer.

Asics Magic Speed if anyone is interested....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

My Vaporflys have 1200k on the clock and holding up really well despite all the press about them falling apart at 400k. Ok- they are in a mess and just about in one piece but still getting nice feedback.

Bought some Next%Tempo two weeks ago on the back of some personal recommendations and they went straight back after 2 runs (one speedwork session and then a 10 miler)- absolutely dreadful. Stiff and unresponsive- no joke but I find my Clifton 7s more responsive. Maybe I have been spoilt by the Vaporfly but there is some difference between the two.

Bought a secondhand paid of Vaporflys on ebay and waiting delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

I've never used the Nike 60 day trial before, did you have any issues returning?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭sk8board

I returned my Next% tempos too - slightly different reasons -

I never get blisters from new shoes, but the tempos gave me toe and heel blisters on both feel - and the need to tighten the toe box laces more than usual caused a fold in the mesh which dug a hole in the top of my left foot between my metatarsals on the first few runs! The mesh was red from blood.

Final straw was the rubber started to split across the shoe, in that flex point just behind the AirPods - seems a common enough issue according to the Nike.com reviews.

I loved the feel of the ZoomX foam, but I just couldn’t wear them. I’d just get the vaporflys next time

Also the slapping noise takes some getting used to.

I had 120m on them when I returned them after 5-6wks, no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Having waited for the summer sale before buying it now seems that they are excluded, if anyone has a birthday voucher they aren't using it'd be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement