Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

Not sure how yee could have some such optimistism? It was the worse beating since Waterford 08 and yer best player can't play forever...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod

@thesultan

Don't post in this thread for at least a week.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,604 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The 3 goals Cork conceded today, you wouldn't see that at schoolboy level, so naive and lackadaisical.

First ball was a poor handpass by Cork, the second Cork left 2 v 2 inside and one left his man and the third Limerick had a man completely unmarked.

No excuse for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Limerick are a great team, but tactically could we have done better? Our defending was very naive for the goals. As good a team as Limerick are, i expected us to give them a game, and i sure as hell wasn't expecting the match to be over at half time. Oh well hopefully both management and players learn from todays experience. The success we are having at underage, is a very encouraging sign for the future.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Limerick are super team but the 3 goals we conceded were terrible defending. Same as 2013 final. We were exposed far too easily. We need a few good u20s coming through next year.

Corks tactics were pretty suicidal.

Pulled the half back line too far up the pitch leaving acres of space inside.

Full back line looked very leggy, possibly tired from all the matches, not sure if they were 100% fit, certainly Downey, no 21 year old should be as slow as that.

The amount of cheap puck outs Limerick won because Cork players were switched off was unacceptable.

Too many Cork players got sucked in to play, were ball watching, it was just really naive play.

Too many short puck outs, not enough variety with going short and long, too predictable.

You cant have that at this level, they are the basics that need to be done to have any sort of chance of being competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 A1Cork

Would love to see a dedicated channel to it, where you can watch the games like the BBC red button, yet also be able to leave and commentate and criticize and support, but for a fee of course, sign up to participate and engage and watch live comments on the TV like a live chat sanario.

Would of loving to post my taughts today in the all Ireland final and see if anyone taught the same. Great game fair play Limerick but instead of screaming at TV would like to see an interactive chat channel for pay per view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

One thing today was the amount of times we appeared to jog to a loose ball only to be overtaken by a sprinting Limerick player. Why weren't we sprinting when it was clear Limerick were contesting everything? Downey guilty the most but certainly not on his own. We looked lackadaisical at times which is beyond infuriating.

I noticed this too.

Initially I thought it might have been due to overtraining but now I believe it was nerves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 King Power Fox

Mister Anarchy - would you give Limerick any credit.

I watched that horror show again, we were way too open for Limericks goals, and our players seemed to lack the fight for the occasion as well. When i say that, i mean that they didn't take Limerick on physically. We have physical hard players in the u20/minor teams, so obviously we need to look at introducing some of those players into the senior squad.

If only we had Canon O'Brien on the sideline yesterday. He would have made sure, that those players would have died for the jersey. I hope i'm wrong but i'm not sure that Kieran Kingston can win us an all Ireland. I think we could be three to four years away yet, from winning a senior all Ireland. Certainly when Kingstons term as manager is up, then Pat Ryan will be the obvious successor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭lukin

I think too much hope is being placed in the U-20 All-Ireland's we have won.

Clare won three of them in a row from 2012 to 2014 but only won one senior All-Ireland from it;2013 against us (and we should really have won that final; the drawn game).

Underage success doesn't guarantee winning at senior. I think it will be another 6-7 years before we are back in a final. Doom and gloom for a while. Looking back the 2013 drawn game against Clare we messed that one up. It was the closest we came to winning an All Ireland from 2006 to 2021. We will surpass 20 years without a title at senior now. We will be beaten early next year. Standard is too good by the Limericks Waterfords Clares Tipperarys and Galways for us to win one soon. One thing is for certain our main man Hoggie will not win a celtic cross I am saddened to say.

I think Limerick are the only team to fear. Tipp and Galway will be rebuilding, and we have a great record against Clare. Waterford are a good team, but i wouldn't fear them. I think outside of Limerick, we are a match for any team. So please god, Hoggie can hang around long enough to win an all Ireland medal. The key question now is whether Kieran Kingston can pick the players up from this, and can he make the most of the talent, that will be coming through from underage?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

IMO ,When a player / team lacks confidence, they hold back a little approaching every thing

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Only thing I'll say about our minors and u20s is that they play closer to Limerick's style than their own Seniors. Limerick's running and swarming around every opponent when he gets the ball is obscene. Just different levels of fitness. Yes, Limerick lads eat the gym but they are also very very fit. Cork need to bulk up but that alone isn't enough. Every county is playing catch up but our underage lads look to have that mindset drilled into them to hound the opposition and sustain that for the hour. Thus far it has worked a treat. Our minors had the game won by half time just like Limerick did yesterday but they still ran themselves into the ground. That's a huge sign of a good team and more importantly a management team who knows what is needed. The work rate of those two teams is on another level to anything at their own age and you would hope that could translate to the senior ranks even if all those players don't.

We'll get there, of that I am sure. Might not be next year but the only way is up and that's something to take from yesterday. There was a decent clipping to the panel done in the last 18 months with longtime servants retiring, I'd imagine a few more might join them this Winter. Looking at Eoin Cadogan in tears after the game you felt he's hurled his last ball in a Cork jersey. Bill Cooper has had no luck with injuries and has to be thinking of calling time. I think Hoggie might give it one more year but wouldn't surprise me at all if he goes too.

Damien Cahilane, Bill Cooper and Cadogans to call it a day. Horgan will be gone after next year. Cork have alot of average players on the panel. Not enough to win them a Senior All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I think with different management there is a much better team there than they looked yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭BarryNumber1

Sad to see Cork getting hurled off the pitch yesterday, that's exactly what happened and there's no combination of tactics that would have produced a different outcome. Occasional viewers or bandwagoners don't get the full picture- Limerick were superb but it's not due to recent senior training, or funding from JP, this started at primary school level and fellas being headhunted by the likes of ArdScoil, training/nutrition there and multi Harty cup successes. You now have a core group out of that in the Limerick squad and they will pose a serious challenge in the next few years.

The current Cork minors are an exceptional bunch and I hope they can keep the squad together. We also need the equivalent of a Paul Kinnerk to help this squad do it at senior level, as there's no guarantee of success based on minor or U20s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Congrats to Limerick, easily the best team in the country right now! Hugely disappointing result for us but still a good year for Cork hurling getting to 4 All-Ireland finals and winning 3 of them.

How do we see the All-Stars going later on in the year, am I right in saying there's 3 players nominated for every position?

It's easy to be dismissive after yesterday but over the course of the year I reckon Cork could get up to 9 nominations, Collins, O'Leary, Downey, O'Donoghue, O'Mahony, Harnedy, Kingston, O'Connor and Horgan.

Unfortunately I don't see many of those winning, probably 2 - in the backs I think Sean O'Donoghue is our best bet with Tim O'Mahony also having a chance, we might get one forward from that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

The mistake you are making is not looking at their competition. Tim O'Mahony had an absolutely immense season and is easily one of the best wing backs in the country but is he going to dislodge Diarmuid Burns or Kyle Hayes?

Likewise who is Sean O'D going to dislodge? Sean Finn will be IMO a contender for hurler of the year so there's going to be a lot of competition for the other corner back position with Barry Nash very hard to overlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I'm aware that each position has competing players 😐️

On the selections themselves I agree nobody is dislodging Finn that's not even up for debate, but O'Donoghue could well get in the other corner over Nash. If I had to call it I don't think O'Mahony will get in over the players you mentioned but he's in with a chance. I think we might sneak one forward too but who knows.

Does anyone know the record from one county? I'd imagine it was likely back along before any back door was introduced when there was less matches. Whatever it was there's a good chance Limerick will smash the record this year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The Sunday Game selection last night had 11 from Limerick. Their previous record was 9 from 1 team, All Stars will probably be fairly similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭thefa

I think people overplay 2013. It wasn’t a great team and didn’t outplay Clare on the day. Wouldn’t have been in the game only for Nash. Led for a couple of minutes in injury time and couldn’t hold onto it. Cork and Clare even making the final was an unlikely event.

It was still a great opportunity alright but 2018 hurt more. Back to back Munsters and semi finals and couldn’t finish a Limerick side off with a lead built up. This year feels like a better team than 2013 but still far from a well balanced team.

Yesterday afternoon was a sobering one for Cork hurling. The game was over after 25 minutes, and the second half felt more like a training match for Limerick. I feel that they took it handy on us. They could have buried us by over 20 points if they wanted. But as it is, they had us dead and buried at half time. Our two oldest players in the forwards Hoggie and Seamie, where the only of our forwards to impact on the game to any degree. So say we meet Limerick in a knock out game next year. Can we turn a 16 point beating on it's head, and beat them i'm not sure.

Sure we can only improve from yesterday, but it would require a massive drop off in performance levels from Limerick, for us to turn the tables on them. The u20 and minors have given the county a great boost though, i think we need to be patient with them, not to burden them with expectations. But we should be able to harvest enough talent out of those all Ireland winning underage teams, to finally produce that winning combination at senior level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭mossie

I'd agree with your assessment of 2013. Maybe we were unlucky to draw the first game in the end but Clare had lost a good lead for us to lead and they were good value for the draw and then simply blew us away in the replay. I think if it had been anyone but Clare we wouldn't even have had the replay we'd have lost the first game. I think this team will learn from yesterday and will hopefully be better next time they get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭supernova5

Does anyone know what Cork's final wide count was yesterday?

9 wides in total.

8 wides from play.

1 wide from a 65.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Grinding my gears over the last 24 hours seeing everyone bend over backwards for that Limerick team as if they're the next coming of the lord himself.

Fair enough if we did our best and put on a display and they completely outhurled us but that's not what happened. We were cat. Tactics completely wrong, giving Limerick way too much respect and space. Senior players not showing up on the day.

I'm actually incredibly disappointed that our fantastic year ended with a disastrous display.

Advertisement