Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

We're not at the races at all here. Could be a serious hammering.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,537 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Limerick defenders are being given the freedom of Croker by our forwards. Simply not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭The White Feather

No real complaints so far except for the whack Tim O'Mahony got on his head could easily have been a red card.

Once we got nothing and they got a point I knew that we were in big trouble. We didn't even get a free. We needed everything to go our way.

Limerick are are a fantastic team so there's no shame in getting beaten by them.

We just need to up the work rate of our forwards. It looks like Horgan playing on his own maybe with O'Connor.

Still think we can get in for goals at least. 2 Balls went in to their defence but they had a three v 2 advantage. For their goals it was a 2 v 2. That makes the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I always expected Limerick to win but You'd expect a Cork player when they put on the jersey to give it their all...these lads look like they are not even trying ..gutless performance

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭magic17

For all the talk of the talent coming through at underage, if the clowns on the sideline are still there we'll win nothing. What a pathetic performance.

Wasn't expecting to win but at least put in a performance and put their bodies on the line. Most of them don't want to be hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Limerick are a super team but we're making them look great.

Get stuck in FFS..hit one of them a shoulder or a belt and instigate a bit of fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭lukin

Seventeen years; Cork's longest gap between winning a senior hurling All-Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

This one hurts but there are better days ahead. I'm very proud of Cork hurling and those lads. The day against Kilkenny was one of the proudest days following them. Onwards and upwards.

I'm glad your proud of them because those lads have shown f all pride in the jersey today...

• Advertisement

We looked liked rabbits caught in the headlights...no touch or spatial awareness and lack of work rate.

I appreciate Limerick are a great team but as bad as it was for us it coulda been even worse as they were happy to just play out the game.

Management need to have a serious look at themselves after that performance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,537 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Wouldn't blame the management at all. The players were simply caught up in the occasion and didnt get going at all in the main. Awful marking, poor passing, poor decision making etc cannot be put at the door of the management. What else could management have done?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭roshje

While Limerick were the better team we might have had a Rock on the sideline we were missing a Rock on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Same with the football I always think Cork management gets awful stick. Their players have no pride in the jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Harsh on the players, Cork are at a couple levels below this Limerick side. Carrying too must passengers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I spoke before, about how you take the good with the bad when you support Cork, well by god in terms of bad days today was right up there! I'm not going to slate players and management, because as much as i'm hurting they will be hurting more. But we won back to back u20 all Ireland hurling titles, we won the minor hurling all Ireland this year, so as disappointed as we are today, the futures bright for Cork hurling please god.

But well done to Limerick three all Irelands in four years is a fine achievement. Oh well as the song goes, we got knocked down and we get up again, and Cork hurling will get back up again. I feel for Hoggie and Seamie Harnedy in particular. Those two lads have given some great service to Cork, but time is running out, for them to win that all Ireland medal. We're down and we're out, but up Cork anyway and well done to Limerick.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

They weren't good enough full stop. No excuses. Could be while before Cork win All Ireland again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭roshje

Are you sure its not there style of play which is down to the management?

Style of play, yes. But the players used that style of play well enough to actually get to the final in the first place.

The first touch, hand passes etc were poor and that is down to the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,604 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I thought Cork had turned the corner after the semi fnal win and the team had developed some steel but it was a false dawn.

Terrible performance, all over the pitch.

Gave Limerick far too much space, naive, no intensity or composure.

Limerick are a very good team but they are really dirty.

Constantly grabbing, putting arm around a player or hurley around the neck or just blatant obstruction.

Gaa are going to have to start cleaning up the game, there is physicality and then there is just blatant fouling.

• Advertisement

It's management's job to prepare the players for the occasion and come up with a game plan to combat the opposition as well as exert our own influence on the game.

None of which happened.

We were beaten by the better team..no shame in that but it's the manner of the defeat that counts.

There was no honour in that defeat..the game was over well before half-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Think some of the comments here are ridiculously harsh on the players and management - NO team would have stayed with Limerick today, they are a machine.

They are the Kilkenny of the noughties, Cork got to a final which we all knew would be very hard to win. The style of play, the management team, the underage success points to better days ahead. We will see an all Ireland within the next few years and we are almost certainly the team who will knock Limerick back eventually.

Absolutely fair fcuks to Limerick today they are unbelievable.

What was most disappointing was the lack of leadership by a few if the senior lads. I expected more from them .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

May not seem like it today but I think Cork are the team that will beat Limerick. Probably not next year, maybe in 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Totally agree, looking across the hurling landscape - Cork will probably be the ones to eventually to take Limerick down. We have made enormous strides this year and however painful this is these Cork players will learn from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Our time will come about no doubt about it,but I think that might set us back a year.

No team will touch limerick next year either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭letowski

Just as an outsider looking in, I think Cork's style of play is derived from the fact that this is a lighter, pacier Cork team. The reality is, only Seamus Harnedy can win that long direct ball into the forwards. Against teams like Clare and Kilkenny, Cork can win playing this brand of hurling, but up against a physical juggernaut like Limerick is a different story.

Look Cork have some brilliant young players coming though, there is definitely better days ahead. But how Cork will bring through this talent will be the question. For years Cork have prioritized lighter, pacier, skillful players, that that has gotten Cork so far. producing the likes of O'Conner, O'Flynn, Fitzgibbon, Meade, Cahalane, Kingston, Cadogan, etc, etc, are lovely skillful players will never be the problem for Cork. But will the Cork minor/u20/senior managements also look to develop bigger but less skillful players to better compete against the likes of Limerick. A player like the minor centre forward, Nyhan(?) I think his name is as an example. That will be the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Jizique

I was a bit disappointed in Harnedy - didn't win one puck out.

I struggled with Cahalane's role - and then replaced by another Cahalane, neither seem to have much hurling. I know that you need a mix of hurlers and runners and skillful guys, but Hayes had the freedon of the field in the first half and was immense.

O'Mahony never got going today, only caught one puckout in around the 62nd minute. The ball into the full forward line for LK was unreal, and their touch was fantastic. Kilkenny dodged a serious hammering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I think this accurately sums everything up. We know how good Limerick are but there was no real work rate from us. Especially after watching the underage recently you can see no one got out easily. Today we got a goal back and they went down the pitch and got a point straight away. The replay wasn't even finished. After all that effort to get a goal we just hand them a point back. We worked so hard for points early on but just didn't lay a glove on them for theirs.

You have to look to your own play and not worry about them. This game went the same way as the Cork/kilkenny game. There they let us out easily and we grew into the game. Here we let them out easily and they just pummeled our defence. It felt like we gave them a gift. I was expecting us to be at least standing up to them and fighting every inch but we seemed to fall back into our old ways again of just retreating back into our shell. When O'Mahony got hit on the head ( and it should have been a red ) we didn't react at all. I don't mean starting fights but getting pumped up. Instead we went backwards and seemed to lie down. Thats when the game was still on and we had a chance.

It was an All Ireland Final. I expected us to be really up for it and to not give an inch. Instead we seemed really tame all over. Thats the most disappointing thing. No shame against losing to this great Limerick team but you have to do yourself justice and fight. At least then we can say we fought. It felt like we were just bullied out of it after 20 mins. You might accept this in the first round of the championship but not the final after we worked so hard to just even get into it.

Advertisement