Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Jesus i mean like three years ago, we probably should have beaten Limerick in that all Ireland semi final, but since then Limerick have gone from strength to strength. If it wasn't for Kilkenny catching them on the hop in 2019, then Limerick would have won four all Irelands in a row. But with the underage success i feel the raw materials are there, for Cork to win a senior hurling all Ireland, within the next five years at least.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭big_drive

Not an easy day for Cork but hopefully will stand to players in future. Still great progress this year and lots to look forward to

Magnificent limerick team with little weaknesses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

We need the right management in charge to bring them through. No club bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thehairygrape

Limerick were awesome. Not one Limerick player was beaten by their man. They only brought on subs due to injury or to give a lads a run out when the match was over (half way through the first half in reality).

look, you can’t slag off the Cork players. They were outclassed. Simple. I thought Harnedy stood up tbh. Four points from play in a beaten docket. They must be hurting and I want to thank them for some great days out, not least the sf v kk. Enjoyed that and enjoyed being in the crowd on the day. I really don’t see any team beating Limerick for a few years unless they beat themselves by losing focus.

anybody got any idea who the Cork equivalent of JP McManus is?

fair play to Limerick.

It depends on how quickly we can up to speed, with regards to the physical side of things. Post 2005 there has been a greater emphasis on physicality in hurling, and we have struggled to adapt to that changing landscape. That great Kilkenny team under Cody just wouldn't let you hurl with their physicality, and Limerick have taken it to another level entirely. Of course both Kilkenny and Limerick had and have the skill as well. But i fear that the traditional style of Cork hurling i love, the speed the wristwork the fast ground balls, is not enough to win all Irelands anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,604 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

This word Physicality and the phrase playing on the edge, are just another term for fouling and getting away with it really arent they ?

I'm all in favour of physicality, shoulders, hooking, flicking the ball away etc but what we've seen creep into the game is not physicality.

Grabbing an opponent, arm around an opponents neck, hurley around opponents neck, pushing in the back, holding the opponents hurley, bear hugs, putting a hurley between an opponents legs etc

Obstructing an opponent by standing in front of them with arms and hurley aloft.

Too much of the above is going unpunished in games.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thehairygrape

The Cork team as probably the best team Cork could put out. Hard to argue with any single selection. Arguing about subs etc misses the point. They simply couldn’t match Limerick’s physicality, so it’s highly unlikely they can get up to speed any time soon. Barring Hoggie and possibly Seamus, most of these players will be around next year and there’s no one better than those two in their positions that I can see. Sounds a bit depressing but we’re the second best team in the country to a once in a generation team. No shame in that. I still believe that the only team that can beat Limerick is Limerick. Nor likely though.

Yes and we have spent the last 15 years moaning about it. We're still struggling to adapt, to that changing landscape sadly. All our great teams had their hardmen, Tim Crowley Pat Hartnett Teddy Mac and Sully etc, those lads would go to war to make sure Cork won.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭magic17

Fair play to Limerick, they are an incredible side.

However, that performance from us today was atrocious. To lose by 17 points is shambolic. I see the narrative is already being written about how great Limerick are and "sure we couldn't do anything about it". That's nonsense, to lose by 8 or 9 points you could accept that we are not on their level. But to lose by 17 is just a capitulation and utterly embarrassing.

The lack of work rate all over but particularly in the forwards was actually astounding today. I know it's been a problem for years now but genuinely thought with it being an All-Ireland final and having seen both the minors and under 20s work their socks off during the week that it would inspire us and we'd see that intensity today.

We should be planning now for 2023. Let Kingston see out his term next year with this group and give the under 20s another year to develop. Get Pat Ryan and co in then to the senior setup and give these talented young lads coming through a proper chance of being successful.

Will Horgan hang on or will he call it a day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

With the round robin he is certain to overtake Canning if he hangs around. Motivation enough I'd have thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Let's remember this limerick side beat Tipp by 17 points in one half 2 months ago.

They are a freak side

• Registered Users Posts: 14,439 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Dunno if a record he’d want to hang around for (even though potentially top scorer ever) that he’d like would be ‘best to never win an All-Ireland’

Maybe he would though in fairness. Cork would regress without him though so it would be rough if he finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

I think Cork got lucky in the side of a draw. Waterford and Tipp are better than them.. Anthony Daly questioned is there Cork Real defenders.. Stoppers. Not bombing forward and a ton of space behind.. Coleman had to mark a man and got a roasting..

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

This final will put Cork back..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Yourmandarela

Waterford yeah maybe. Tipperary I don't think so. Clare would have beaten them only for that crazy decision by the ref.

In fairness, the only one showing signs of stupidity here is your good self.😁 We won back to back u20 and a minor hurling all Ireland this year. So there's plenty of talent in the county. In fairness Limerick gave your own county a trimming in last all Ireland years final, and in this years all Ireland semi final as well. I think Cork will win the big one before Waterford do.😁

• Advertisement

You are backing on Cork winning all ireland on this year's underage??

Did Clare not win 4 u21s.. One All Ireland. Its no guarantee.. The minors look really impressive but a few years off yet.. Have yee any ball winners or spinal defenders coming?

County champions had one sub introduced..

Yer guaranteed performers in the forwards have only a year or two left...

The hype got to Cork County because of underage.

Cork were there on merit. They beat everyone in front of them bar Limerick. You make your own luck.

They got total luck on the side of their draw. It was proved by their worse beating in a final and Limerick poor in the second half.

Not as stupid as some of the scour you are saying here on a Cork thread. Stick to your own Waterford.

If you look at it too. TIPP won back to back 20s yet haven't come through

We will be winning All Irelands before your own county anyway and that's a guarantee.

Ye'll be waiting a while yet

There is no guarantee.. Cork still talk about tradition and mushrooms while going on their longest drought ever..

Not too long. I be worried about your own County though.

• Advertisement

Look at your own record first. A man hadn't even walked on the moon last time your team won it. Anyway putting you on ignore list now. Clearly a WUM.

Advertisement