Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DUBLIN IS TOTALLY UNLIVABLE **Mod Warning In Post #671**

Options

Comments

You are really taking this seriously. And not taking the op seriously.

I’m happy where I am in Dublin but I’m inclined to not believe somebody who finds the inner city hellish. Why would the op be prejudiced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

So you never saw any Roma Gypsies? There are a ton of homeless people who are not from Dublin. The city centre main streets have the locals but the rest of the city and suburbs have beggars from the countryside and foreign countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I've already said money needs to be directed in to the city to form a metro police unit that will have the powers to stop all the carry on mentioned above. I've been barraging my local politicians about our local property tax being spent elsewhere in the country, I'd suggest you start doing the same instead of admonishing people on the internet about Dublins problems.

Regarding the homeless and drug users, they're from all over the country, more and more arriving from different parts around the country, accents from Mayo, Cork, Galway... everywhere.

I might get onto the politicians - I believe local taxes should be kept here. It’s only 20% that isn’t though so not sure about your grand scheme working with just that extra revenue to DCC

I'm still going to continue discussing things on the internet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

These Dublin "shythole" rants always follow the same old nonsense.

"No Gardai to be seen patrolling" there are Gardai stood near on permanently at the GPO from dawn til dusk and have been for as long as I remember. Also plenty walking the streets or cycling about.

"Open air drug dealing" backstreets, alleys, boardwalk, yes, and particularly obvious at Merchant Quay. O'Connell St? Absolutely not.

There are countries some Irish people regard as absolute paradise where the streets are full of aggressive junkies and you would never see a cop on foot (Sydney being the most obvious one)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Re Garda at GPO, that is a static post afaik, so the Garda is not actually 'on patrol'.

Remember when those pesky rebels took over the GPO? There wasn't an RIC constable on duty then and look what happened...

Not your ornery onager

You are correct that it's a static post, but not about the 1916 part. There were Dublin Metropolitan Police members stationed both inside and outside the GPO.

If my memory serves me correctly Edward Dunphy was the name of one of them and he was released a couple of days into the rising but injured as he made his way away from the building and died a few years later from the wounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yeah, I should have stopped before adding the second paragraph... ☺️

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

It's a great place to bring up little Ronan and Eibhlin in Booterstown in other words...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The vast vast majority of Dubliners couldn't afford to live there or anywhere along that coast, but lots of other less expensive areas are great for bringing up kids too.

• Advertisement

Indeed, there's even a centre for kids who don't read good.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

The city centre continues to be rundown quicker since office been replaced by tents creating more rubbish and smelling more like an open sewer.

who ever is distributing these tents should me made clean up the mess they create, thats why I have decided to move out leaving in 2 weeks, it is an offence to relieve urself in most of the first world while in Indian its the norm.

I pity those who work in hospitals etc having to past this not to mention tourist when they come back and it will be reported on media, business's wont survive if they stop coming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

I misread the title in my haste as "Dublin is unviable" and I was about to agree wholeheartedly.

But alas, no

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

There are a few more beggars than usual to be fair, not many compared to other cities around the world but more than we are used to.

Most of them are just junkies wanting a few more quid rather than homeless and they all tend to be easy to deal with.

Still cannot see what people don't like about the city center, I have never felt as safe in any other major city, Dublin is literally a lovely safe city where you can walk all over problem free.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Was born in Dublin and grew up in a nice suburb. When I was in my teens/early 20's, I was happy to go into the city centre but would tend to avoid certain parts (quays in general, O'Connell St., Pearse St. etc.) late at night.

Nowadays, I'd be a bit wary of walking around anywhere in the city, especially at night. Would completely avoid inner city area if at all possible, and would be watching my route if I did have to get to a DART station or Busaras. Would avoid the Luas completely at night to be honest, and the red line at any time. Wouldn't be happy for my son to head in at all these days to be honest.

As someone who grew up in the suburbs, the difference in how safe I felt when I was going in to meet my mates (1990s) and now is stark - I'd pretty much avoid the city completely these days, aside from specific events. I just can't be bothered with the hassle you're almost guaranteed to get from junkies or scumbags, or the possibility of getting a smack from a randomer. Doesn't matter where you are or what time of day nowadays.

The North suburbs is having issues with gangs and anti social behaviour and very little is being done at any level. I would hate to have to move but might if things don’t improve.

When you read this after spending a few enjoyable hours in the city centre with your kids you're left scratching your head. DART in and out, some birthday money spent in Bamba, lamb chops in the butchers on Moore st, stocked up on spices in the Asian Markets, lunch and dinner eaten in town (with a cheeky glass of wine). Great time, no hassle, we all got out alive.

Oh, and the "Rubbish everywhere" merchants - Spoofers. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

C'mon folks the Junkies have had a hard year, not much pickings to be had as people work remotely. Give them a break.

Dublin is a great place if you happened to have inherited your granny's house in Ranelagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Honestly don't get the same feelings, I find Dublin at all hrs of day and night a really safe feeling place.

I probably compare it to other large cities in which case its one of the nicest and safest.

You may well be right it has become worse than ever but its still so much better than most places. At least in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Allinall

Dublin is what it is, regardless of a random house in Ranelagh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Dublin's great, most of the ugly Irish had to move down the country. Now it's full of attractive South American and East European women.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Liam32123

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I was in the city centre yesterday and I only saw 2 junkies down a lane. Weird how so many see hundreds every day

Yeah, some of the attitudes and fear is hysterical on this thread, but in fairness, some of the anecdotes are from residents of the city centre. They see it all and they're the ones that bear the brunt.

I truly believe (as others obviously do) that the city needs a huge monitory injection. Stop sending money out to build motorways around the country and deal with the problem in the capital to make it a city for people. A properly trained transport police unit and a metro police force needs to be established to encourage the good people back in to the city.

Local Property Tax needs to be what it says. Local. Not flowing out of the city to improve areas that are totally "Liveable" and don't have the social and economic problems the city suffers from.

Yes. It is all an ‘imagination’ of people writing in this thread.

In fact, right yesterday 21 August a Garda Officer told the following about the city centre to the Irish Independent: 

“The worst thing at the minute going on in the city is these gangs of roaming young lads,” 

“They’re anything between 12 and 17 years old. They’re literally in gangs of 10 and 20. It’s hard to police if they are in that big of a group”

“They’re intimidating and imposing”

“They’re robbing people, assaulting people. And if you chase one of them and they end up running out in front of traffic or if they’re riding a bike and they end up hurting themselves, it’s an issue for us then. Then we are under investigation and we could be suspended”

“If you’re a member of the public, in the wrong place at the wrong time, you’re assaulted”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The city centre is **** filthy, between the litter and the endemic stickering, it's actually an awful place to be.

I haven't had the need to go into the city much since the C19 crisis but the cities problems appear much worse now.

As I've posted before, when the tide goes out you find out who's been swimming with no pants, and Dublin is starkers.

Last Monday week a man was forced to perform a sex act on two other men at the side of the GPO. God knows what else would've happened to him had two beat gardai not come across it.

This is what's going on in the city centre

Some people here do not understand that we are not glad to write these comments. It is just that the real situation has become intolerable. As the Garda Officer explained to the Independent, these gangs are unpredictable; and the off-limits areas are any day more and more

Exactly, I don't know of anyone who is gleeful that our capital is an international embarrassment.

That's not hyperbole either. I'd be ashamed to bring visitors around the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I find that bizarre. I've often had visitors from abroad and they've had a great time here. There are many lovely parts of Dublin including in the city centre, I think a lot of Irish people, especially those not from Dublin, look at it with a glass half full approach, and view it with contempt. If the homeless people and addicts and lack of policing put you off Dublin, I would say that's a failure at a national level, as in progressive Governments aren't doing enough to help the most populous part of the country. As others have said in this thread, perhaps lots more needs to be spent on the city centre and its people, but I don't think the rest of Ireland would be happy with that either!

It can be a great place though if you want it to be.

Advertisement