Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DUBLIN IS TOTALLY UNLIVABLE **Mod Warning In Post #671**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,867 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I often wonder if City Managers A. are from Dublin, and B. live there during their tenure.

God forbid that any of them are not au fait with all these issues because they leg it from their bunker in Wood Quay to a leafy suburb or another county every night, and don't wander around the city during their lunchbreak to see the reality. Experiencing what everyone is talking about is far better than blueprints and endless written reports.

While I take your point about the Boardwalk being just one of many troublesome issues, it has no added value at all to those who pay for it through rates and Property Taxes. Not good enough, get rid of it, at least it would be one less place for the ne'er do wells to congregate and cause trouble. Sometimes a message like this (knocking it down) sends a powerful message too, and opens debate that will include the bigger picture.

Man the barricades!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

At a very minimum, the benches should go and the quay walls made hostile for sitting on.

The boardwalk was one of those ideas that are great in theory but terrible in practice. Who'd have thought that loads of public benches and a population of inner city delinquents would result in a no-go area.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,451 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

At the end of the day when a city is mismanaged as badly as Dublin is there are things that, in most cities would be great additions, but that we can't have in our city.

We can't have them as a direct result of planning and policy failures by the council and a policing and justice system that is not working.

I agree that getting rid of the boardwalk is better than keeping it. Unless security is suddenly going to be taken seriously which we all know it won't be.

After recent events there'll be more guards for a while but it will be back to square one in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

boardwalk is a nice idea but it’s from what I can see, never policed. There is zero appetite on behalf of the politicians, judiciary and therefore Gardai to clamp down and fix the antisocial delinquent, zombie scumbag fraternity that just seem to be multiplying year on year...in the city... around the keys and boardwalk is a regular hangout..

when I lived in Paris I could walk the areas around the quays of the Seine from St Michel to Pont Neuf and take in a couple of pubs and never experience the slightest danger or scumbag... imagine going from O’Connell Bridge to Grattan Bridge at 01:00am along the boardwalk.... no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Just out of curiosity Liam, what part of Europe are you originally from? Did you grow up in a city?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Liam32123

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I love Madrid, but there are prostitutes everywhere even in the tourist areas, pickpockets, even shanty towns including Europe's biggest La Cañada Real which i dont think even has electricity.

Did I feel entirely safe there walking around at night? It was a bit dodgy but it was fine. If you are used to Madrid I'm very surprised you are so frightened in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Northernlily

It's a farce mate. See the area around the primary care centre in Summerhill aswell.

The root causes of addiction need to be taken head on. There is junkies everywhere north of the quays. Heroin and crack is rampant.

It's absolutely disgusting. And the habit is filthy. To have to live and walk amongst it every day as a tax paying citizen is ugh.

And before someone starts, I don't want to move. Why should I move. I'm contributing to society. What are the junkies contributing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I can't believe the prices in Dublin, I was at home recently for the first time since 2019 and jaysus .... get a cup of coffee and a pastry would be 6,7 Euro ffs!!

I am used to that being around 2 quid in Spain ..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You can easily spend over €10 for a coffee and pastry in Spain and you can easily spend €4 on a coffee and pastry in Dublin. Depends where you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Ashida

Agree with many of the posts above. I am a foreigner too and, unfortunately, also for me it is becoming extremely difficult to stay here, too many episodes of violence and I am starting to suffer from the anxiety of going out.

I am now trying to send job applications to the South East of England

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

Dublin is far from "un-livable" in the majority of aspects. Accommodation is the killer but then on the other side of it, you have a decent job market and average wage, albeit not decent enough to get near the rising property prices.

We have a lot of green areas. Great amenities. Good public transport (better than a lot of cities across the world). You'd be thinking twice about how bad you think the junkie & homeless situation is if you took a walk through San Francisco. Just have some fecking sense and if you're not looking for trouble it's unlikely to find you here. I've never felt unsafe in this city, whether walking home from town at 3am or into town at 8.

Dublin is a city with the warmth of character and culture to it that I've never experienced in another. It's been **** to see our city walls and canal walk creatives get driven out of the city in recent years by the council, but they'll be back. Dublin will be back. It never really left. It's in the heart and soul of everyone living in it and everyone who's left it. We're all in the shitstorm right now so give the city a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Well done, Carrick on Shannon is a great town for it's size

Had a good night in the city last night. Great atmosphere, streets were clean and I made it home safely (again).

Can the people who are coming across all this rubbish please take a few shots on their phones or show it to me on google street view?

I know the city was left in a mess by the Cork and Limerick GAA fans on Saturday, but this was cleared up quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

@John_Rambo

You're lucky you didn't see the trouble that happened with the young scumbags & the Gardaí at Pearse House last night.

I would assume from your post above that you avoided this part of the city last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

That would be a normal sight in those areas compared to what he described

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Jesus wept; that video looks really depressing. I can't understand how it's that bad in Philadelphia. Are people like those who would be struggling to stay upright over their knees as a result of all their drugtaking; currently visible on the streets of Dublin City Centre right now as a result of Covid?

I think Dubliners don’t want to admit that the city is sinking into a pit of anti social behaviour. Not just in the city centre, some of the suburbs are just as bad now. Also, the nice villages are now plagued with gangs and fights, ask anyone living in Howth or Malahide or similar towns on the Southside. Very little being done to tackle it, lots of empty words and promises but no action on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ashida

That is disgusting, and I live close by. I am feeling so depressed to live here

• Advertisement

No, I was in the Henry St. Italian quarter area. That's the UK Express quoting Dublin Live in fairness, so take it with a pinch of salt, "petrol bombs were allegedly hurled".... I doubt there were any petrol bombs.

No. Dubliners realise that Dublin has been left behind, we realise our property tax is bing taken out of the city to improve others lives around the country, we realise that money needs to be diverted back in to the city, we need a transport police for the issues you highlighted (although I live in one of the urban villages you talk about and haven't come across these infamous gangs), we need a metro police unit. The country needs to realise that nowhere was affected as badly as Dublin by the pandemic and the city needs to reinvest in itself.

Howth and Malahide are plagued with gangs? I'm often in both places and Malahide especially is about as middle class and quiet an area you can get. Jesus Dublin Live has a lot to answer for if this is what you all think lol.

I saw yesterday they took benches from a park in Cork due to anti social behaviour, people on Reddit were saying addicts and teenagers drinking were the cause. It doesn't make me think it's some lawless hellhole down there though.

I'm a Dubliner and I'm happy to admit it (the anti-social feral behaviour, not being a Dubliner 😉 )

Howth and Malahide have had issues recently of gangs of feral youth using the DART from other areas.

Yeah but cmon a few videos on Dublin Live is all it was. Kids have been going to these places on the Dart since I was a kid in the 90s, they just sensationalise everything now. If there was any real trouble in Malahide the residents wouldn't accept it for a second and it'd be sorted by Garda pretty quickly anyway.

Here is a slice of what I assume is probably Balbriggan in Malahide. All these lads are off the bus or the DART and I'm told it is now the same every weekend. And that this only really became an issue there in the last 2 years. Actually maybe Darndale/Coolock as they appear to run for the bus.

Wasn't there a young lad beaten to within an inch of his life for his phone just outside the castle a few months back by fellas off the DART?

You assume these areas are somehow protected. They aren't. Nothing has been done in Malahide or Clontarf to my knowledge by gardai or the communities because what can they do?

Not going to watch it but I assume it's some kid jumping on top of a car or something. Does seeing things like this really make you think the wealthy area of Malahide is dangerous because a few kids were messing? I live close to Clontarf and am there all the time and didn't realise there were any issues with anti-social behaviour, I've never noticed any anyway.

No it doesn't make me think it's dangerous. It just makes me understand why residents are pleading for the Garda station to be reopened.

We have a society where we are literally paying scrotes to drag up even more scrotes whose future is the scratcher. It's a multiplier effect.

This notion, it's grand they'll stick to their own areas, that's gone years a go.

And with mandatory social housing in new estates it's a moot point anyway.

+1. It's not in the interest of the service providers to actually fix problems because it is lucrative for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

The city centre is right now a complete hell hole, the percentage of little scumbags/down and outs is much higher than before since they live in the huge number of social housing, are attracted in by the services for addicts etc... with offices still being work from home there are less professionals about so percentage wise far outnumbered.

The Gardai are nowhere to be seen, I was in Madrid city recently and every few streets there were police walking around, barely ever see that in Dublin.

You can even see from the video from Pearse Street the gardai pick up weapons and run, they seem terrified.

People saying remove amenities like the boardwalk are wrong. Those amenities need to be made safe, not removed. Those same scumbags will just move to the next place, do we then just close the parks since the scum are congregating there and so on until there is nothing in the city?

Huge issues with anti social behaviour need to be stamped out, get in touch with your local TD, raise this as an issue. The main problem is that it's not seen as a huge vote winner. More only social housing in the city is not the answer, build housing/apartments for professionals in the city and encourage them back in. Social housing is all well and good but tenants causing issues should be removed and part of the agreement should be that you don't cause a menace to society or you lose your place to somebody else.

Tackling the root cause is great and important and will have a long term impact but short term there needs to be mandatory sentencing after 20/30 convictions and less judiciary leniency. The same scumbags take up huge amounts of police time, court time and free legal aid, it needs to be clamped down on as a matter of urgency.

Advertisement