Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

About 4800 euro that....for a new watch? No a bad price really. New model is RRP 7k The cheapest big moonbox second hand ones I see these days are 3500+ at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Yes brand new, they had both the sapphire and hesalite. Thought it was a reasonable price, was a bit suprised when she said they had some in stock, would have thought they were sold out at this stage.

All this Panerai talk has my eye thrown! (Tried to add a picture but think I’m failing)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭scwazrh

That’s nice , what price was it at ? Might be worth a trip through Heathrow

• Registered Users Posts: 16,435 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That Panerai is a nice one Conor. All the talk of them lately is having the same effect on me too. I like their ceramics but a manual wind old style dial would be interesting.

I know Fitz, TF and a few others have an insta account and this is for them aswell as everyone else here who is using insta for watches or hobby stuff. Can I ask are ye seeing a plague of fake watch resellers adding ye? I'm seeing a lot of fake sellers following me on mine along with SE Asia, where I'm also very popular 😂

Yeah same as that on insta and lots of fake sellers sending DM to see if I want their “high quality watch piece at good price”

That and Asian women who want to talk but never about watches

Yeah lots of fakers on instagram. To be honest I am still trying to figure out what instagram is for? Seems pointless as its just photos.

Yes all this panerai stuff lately has me itching, but thankfully I am totally zapped on the watch fund front at the moment. I will swoon over Unkles, I am sure he will drop it out to me for a video once he gets it. I blame Scwazrh, its all his fault. Enthusiasm is contagious.

I hate not being able to multi-quote almost as much as I hate not being able to split out quotes into points as we used to be able to do.

I have a personal account on insta for the usual, being social and fake successful 😁

Then I have the watch and collectible account as a "hobby" account. I'd love to think it's because I'm not shallow and seeking validation, but, honestly that's probably part of it.

Not that I need external validation or to be told "Wow, your stuff is great!" More that honestly, of my circle of friends, I'm the only one with an interest in watches and planes.

My friends do have an interest in comics, sci-fi, collectibles and some of my other interests esp 3D printing, but, not one of them could tell a Vostok from a Seiko 😉

So if I was to do a bit of soul searching? My hobby account on insta would probably be a way to connect with people who share that interest in at least a superficial way. It's not a search for validation... Or maybe?🤔

Far less detail, chat or craic on Insta than here, but, some really fantastic photos. Some of the dealers share shots of vintage pieces and some of the folk doing watch photography are capable of amazing shots.

I have found some gems of people in certain accounts like sinngram, Jung urmacher and others. Even your account Fitz, it's not just showing off or swinging balls. There are some lovely photos, a bit of craic and always a bit of knowledge.

1 thing that has me using insta more the YT aswell, is that I generally find myself on Insta, whilst listening to a podcast or similar. Allows me to split my attention between 2 things and convince myself I'm able to multitask rather than having an awful attention span 😂

Edit

Forgot to add, feel your pain on the funds front. Very illiquid at the mo but sure it's not the end of the world. Wanted to buy something recently but the only way I could swing it was by letting go the VC.

And I just smile too much every time I wear it so, the blue stays here 👍

Post edited by banie01 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

The new hesalite is €k6.3, the sapphire is 7.2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

PSA lads

(No idea why boards want to rotate my picture).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

There was maybe a couple of hundred off it, I didn’t really push her as wasn’t going to purchase but at the same time didn’t seem to be a lot of movement.

If I were going Pam that’s the style I’d be going for, looking at the pics it does look big on the wrist but didn’t maybe feel as big, I certainly didn’t gasp when I put it on.

When I compared the new speedmaster to the old one, didn’t like the bracelet, clasp seemed tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Well, we have a similar cave of wonders gone in to the old sports store on William St, one of many on that street now tbh.

And Cork! Hope you weren't down gloating over the boyo's after yesterday's win 😁

By cave of wonders you mean shitter central. And by William street you mean poundshop street!

Not had a chance to gloat yet. Only corkonian I have interacted with have been serving me food. And you don’t want to annoy anyone who has access to your food!

The crystal is incredible on the 932 .it’s like the speedie hesalite but on steroids .it will be interesting to see how the dial compares to your James Cameron .That’s supposed to have the best blue gradient fading to black but the 932 fades to black / dark navy in a different way .it’s like a circular sun burst effect if I’m explaining that right.

Looking forward to seeing the pics of it .It is definitely the best Panerai radiomir.Did you get a good deal with Watchfinder?

Very little to be found online on the 932 but I got that impression too about the crystal

I did get a pretty decent deal. My one was the cheapest of 3 they had for sale by quite a margin (there were only 388 made of this watch - Panerai Boutique only, no discounts, I think £8k retail). WF had my old Panerai 196, which was very slow to get a final offer. When I called them saying I was interested in the 932, things got rolling and a deal was done within hours. They upped the offer for my watch by €250 and dropped the price for the 932 by €500, but that was it then, no further negotiation. Making the deal comparable to the cheapest 932 on chrono24 (a private sale - I had been in contact with the seller but he upped his price - twice! - while we were having contact). The watch from WF also comes with a "new" 2 year warranty and a lot of peace of mind compared to buying privately

Also just got a call from a lovely lady in WF Paris that they received my watch from Hong Kong this morning, will send it on to me today so I will have it in the next 24 / 48 hours. They rang just to confirm address. Very excited now 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kostal2093

Hopefully, this will give you some indication of crystal and dial until the 932 arrives. This is the 946 model. Similar to 932 except P4002 in-house auto movement and additional complications - which I appreciate some do not like and prefer the plain dial, but each to their own! Case is also slightly smaller at 45mm compared to the 47mm 932.

Maybe a better picture.

Not sure if your on Instagram but an account I follow has been filling their stories with the 932 .Great quality photos really showing off the watch -

Here’s a screen grab of their account below if you want to check it out

Make sure to check if the watch qualifies for the Panerai 8 year manufacturers warranty. See Pam.Guard on Parerai website and register. Very straight-forward process and well worth doing.

@scwazrh - "Not sure if your on Instagram"

I am now. And that's the first account I am following 😁

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I can't seem to be able to register on instagram. It gets so far and then seems to think I'm a spammer and locks me out. It's probably right. 😁

I had difficulty too, until I realised it is owned by FB and you can log into Instagram with your FB account. I never post on FB either but it is handy for reading some very specific forums and for buying and selling stuff. And I'm immune to whatever ads they throw at me, have most ad blockers switched on anyway too (as I use mostly on PC, not on mobile) and I'm not that bothered about personal privacy.

Post edited by unkel on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Feck, I'm not on facebook either. 😁 I'd rarely go on the interwebs on a phone myself. Old skool..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

Folks,

Just curious on peoples thoughts - im consider trading two watches i have for a Rolex Explorer. Im thinking of having a 2 watch collection of my Seiko sla043 dive watch and the explorer. A gshock for a mowing the lawn and washing the saucepans. The height of my rough and tumble.

Both watches im thinking of trading are probably worth north of 4k and 3k. Where would my best bet of trying to do a deal be? I could sell both on the likes of adverts.. or chrono24 or maybe go the watchfinder route and see what they would offer me and if they could source a 39mm explorer for me?

Cheers,

Mick

Watchfinder.

You will have to sign up with them, then offer your watches for sale and indicate which of their Explorers they currently have for sale you are interested in. Once WF have confirmation that they received your watches (in France these days), ring their sales team. If you eventually can get through to them, they can make things move.

I wouldn't bother with a G-shock for mowing the lawn of washing the dishes. The Rolex and the Seiko can easily handle that (as opposed to watches like your moonwatch, which is probably one of the two you are trading in?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

yeah watchfinder only offering 2750 for the moonwatch...could probably exceed that easily locally