Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭ThePott

You must be fun at parties Castor haha. In all seriousness, it isn't as bad as it looks. I had way better seats but turned out the tickets I bought weren't valid (only found out when I got there), so I bought off a scalper outside the venue. Ended up for the best though, got a full refund for the weekend, a 250 dollar voucher (was originally spending this on Mania 2020 tickets 😕) and ended up buying better tickets for less money.

I've seen you get around alright. Those are some insane ones. What would you say is the best show you've ever been to?

Really loud alright! Can't think of a louder one I've witnessed off the top of my head, although I remember the pop for the SHIELD reforming the next night to be pretty loud. Loads of us were shouting for her to turn on Charlotte before that too. It was hilarious on Smackdown then when she tried blaming the fans for not being there for her and the crowd just weren't having it and we could see she was about to blame us before she said it 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭kksaints

What was the crowd like for the Cena vs Rock at Wrestlemania match? Against Cena or more balanced?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

The atmosphere at Blood and Guts was something else, the entrances especially but I think the recent PWG show was the best. The amount of times my friends and I leapt up from our seats going WTF was insane haha, The main event is all kinds of crazy.

More for the Rock for sure as it was in NY (technically NJ) and that crowd is a bit more smarky.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I was at both Rock vs. Cena matches - the first one in Miami just blew the NY/NJ one out of the water - crowd was amazing start to finish and slightly delaying the Rock's entrance lead to an almighty pop!

Raw the next night was amazing too - YES! chants the entire night (start of the "movement") opened with the Rock and closed with the return of Lesnar - incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 60,272 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Conrad Thompson a millionaire fanboy starts a podcast revolution.

Tony Khan a billionaire fanboy starts a wrestling company that leads to a pro wrestling revolution.

Fanboys ruling the world of pro wrestling outside the E.

• Advertisement

Cena comes in and feuds with Roman who doesn't need the rub.

Edge comes back and feuds with Orton & Seth two guys that don't need the rub.

Goldberg comes back and feuds with guys that don't need the rub.

Brock comes back and feuds with guys that don't need the rub.

Every WWE legend that comes back feuds with some who doesn't need the rub.

Ok one exception is Rey comes back to give his son the rub.

Jericho gets over every young talent he works with.

Christian comes back and aligns with Jungle Boy.

Miro as TNT champions wrestlers the younger talent.

Sting and Punk align with Allin.

Mox & Kingston feud with Garica & 2.0

Brodie Lee came in and aligned with young talent to take under his wing..

Matt Hardy comes in and takes young talent under his wing.

Who will be the first big name to jump from AEW to WWE?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Random thought: You don't get over in WWE, you are chosen to get over in WWE.

Take Edge for example, I randomly stuck on a RAW from November 12th 2001 and Angle opens the show. He does the usual long opening promo of the day and out comes babyface Edge complete with his Rob Zombie music, challenges Angle to a US championship match right there and then and beats Angle for the title. Thing is that Edge was always being booked to get over.

Gangrel has came out and said that from the very start he was told that The Brood was designed to get Edge over. Right from the start. It's actually mental to look back (as I never knew this until recently) but Edge's original character was Blade. Hence the fast cut vignettes like the movie. Hence the whole vampire thing lol. But I digress...

So right from the bat WWE had big plans for Edge creating a gimmick and faction for him to feud with an overcome. He would later become King of the ring in 2001, he would beat angle as aforementioned to win the us title, he would beat test at Survivor Series 2001 to merge the US title with the IC title, of course the famous TLC matches with Christian, he would tag with Hulk Hogan... WWE did everything to make him a star. But it wasn't until the whole Matt Hardy thing that things would stick.

From the very start this man was booked to always be a big player. There was no 'ah sure, he isn't getting over lets go with someone else' - they constantly tried to position Edge as a main event player. But then again, is that really shocking in a predetermined sport? The best of the best wont necessarily rise to the top. Those who are deemed the best and the future will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭kksaints

Tricky one to answer, depends on who feels that the influx of the likes of Punk and Bryan will have taken away their rise to the top. In fairness AEW have managed their roster very well for the most part. If his contract hadn't a few more years to run, I nearly would have said MJF. While he's near the top of the card, he's stagnated a bit in the last year and the feud with Jericho hasn't helped him very much nor has leading the Pinnacle done very much. .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Only ones I could see jumping are any that are only interested in money or ones who haven't got a contract yet but have been working for them for a while.

But can't think of anyone just in it for the money, not even HFO. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Riddle101

You gotta wonder what must be going through Cesaro's mind right now. A few months ago Cesaro was getting a push, working with Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins, and was challenging for a World Championship, and now he's the invisible man again. I was never a fan of Cesaro but it's gotta hurt for him to be knocked down like that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Probably just cares about cashing his cheque at this point.

Any fans of PWG on here? I was curious how they would do after the pandemic and tonnes of their go to guys getting signed up across the bigger companies but wow they have put together an awesome card for next month. Listing is below and will see Alex Shelley and Eddie Edwards make their returns. Jack Cartwheel is new but was amazing at the last show and with Dante Martin and the rest, that will be an absolute spot fest 6-man and should be outstanding.

Just picked up my tickets this evening making it a crazy week of events. Flying to NY for the Arthur Ashe event which is both a Dynamite and Rampage, GCW's Emo fight the next night, then flying to LA for Halloween horror nights and PWG on the Sunday. Can't wait!

Three-Way Match

Tony Deppen vs. Evil Uno

Tag Team Match

Aramis & Rey Horus vs. Dragon Lee & Laredo Kid

Three-Way Match

JD Drake vs. AJ Gray vs. Lee Moriarty

Six-Person Tag Team Match

Jack Cartwheel, Dante Martin, & Alex Zayne vs. Jake Atlas, Trey Miguel, & Myron Reed

Singles Match

Jonathan Gresham vs. Alex Shelley

Tag Team Match

Black Taurus & Demonic Flamita vs. Malakai Black & Brody King

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Championship Title

Bandido (Champion)) vs. Davey Richards (Challenger)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I never thought I'd be saying this but credit where credit is due these skits WWE are doing with Baron Corbin are actually pretty good. Corbin is entertaining.

Yeah, I'm wondering how the interviewers are told to interact with him. Like the last day he was being interviewed and he was cut off as the interviewer went to talk to someone else and he came to her complaining.

Ah here it is

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Corbin is the best thing in WWE at the moment.

However I have zero faith they have an end result for the storyline.

Now with the stacked rosters outside the WWE and with most of them working together I would love to see a proper world cup of wrestling.

The men, women & tag teams competing within their own company to get places to represent that company in a world cup PPV

It would help fill out TV time for most of these companies and all finishes with a two day weekend PPV.

You would have AAA, NWA, IMPACT, NJPW, AEW, ROH, MLW, Independent non attached wrestlers, some European wrestlers

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just watching the live channel on the network where it’s showing a nearly five hour collection of Lesnars best matches and they had the mania 30 match with taker just on and I know we found out how badly taker was hurt after the fact but maybe I’d forgotten it but taker took forever to even stand up in the ring and then walk up the ramp. Btw their first meeting in 2002 inside hell in a cell is on now. 2002 brock was such a beast.

Was watching a gcw ppv recently and was wondering do audience members have to sign some sort of waiver when attending events with death matches? Or is it in small print on tickets? Just with glass and other things flying.

No waivers - the expectation going in is that you know what you're getting into pretty much. I've been to a lot of these shows including a few CZW Cage of Death events/BJW in Tokyo, I normally wear glasses or something in the front row and know to get out the way when they approach. Typically if something happens the fan will be offered free merch as a kinda "dont sue us" deal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The wrestling in AEW is so much quicker pace than WWE. The transitions from one stage to the next move much quicker. WWE feels like a lot of rest holds and selling on the ground.

AEW is such an easy watch promo wise and in ring style wise. Just goes to show WWE has gone rotten to the core from every aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Its massively over produced. From the constant 3d graphics, to the commentators and talent reading from a script, to the almost zero storytelling, to the 50 50 booking where no one goes over to the vomit enducing camera cuts, to the WWE speak for everything, to..... i could keep going.

The only thing WWE have going is the talent themselves and they go out of their way to hinder most talent from becoming stars even though they are desperate for stars to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

As odd as it sounds, I wish more wrestlers were as hostile and less fearful of confrontation as Matt Riddle. He'll talk shít about anyone. We all know it's fake but it adds a little wrinkle of reality into things.

He had well-publicised heat with Rollins and Goldberg. A couple of years ago he put down all the old WCW guys (hilariously, in my opinion)...

And now he got in trouble for comments on Roman...

“Unfortunately, I said some things that some people may not have liked and I’m not going to mention names, but they didn’t like it. I won’t say it again. I get it,” he shared with a sly smile.

“Right now, all hail the Tribal Chief. Good for Roman [Reigns]. Acknowledge him. Everybody, acknowledge him, okay? That’s all I’m saying.”

Sounds like Roman had a little whinge. I hope Riddle keeps upsetting people.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Riddle's original comments could have led to something, especially with the Draft coming up. But nah force him to apologize instead.

Roman fears Matt Riddle

I think Riddle saying "I could beat him up in a real fight" is a moronic thing to say personally. It doesn't make me think highly of anyone involved all it does is say, this is all fake but if it was real I'd be very tough, which sounds pretty pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Well at least it was something different, and not memorized from a script, before Roman threw his hissy fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭briany

Who was the actual president of talent relations in WWE back in the day. Was it Vince? J.R. (later Johnny Ace) was the vice-president of talent relations despite apparently doing all the actual work in that area. Always thought that was a bit of an odd way to work things, but maybe it had something to do with fudging the books or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Pentecost

American companies can have a lot of Vice Presidents or Senior Vice Presidents of departments without each of them necessarily having a President above them in every area. Ultimately they'd all report to Vince.

• Advertisement

Something different? I mean it's something different because you're not meant to draw attention to it. Breaking the established reality of the 'show' ruins the immersion in the product. Saying it in general would be dumb but saying it about the biggest champion in the company is even more stupid. If he hadn't said 'real fight' it would be a bit more acceptable.

It's just not a very smart thing to do, I don't mind when Riddle shoots his mouth from time to time but that was a moronic thing to say. I don't think it would have been from a script anyway as I'm pretty sure it was in an interview. Ronda said some comments like that previously and they didn't go down well either.

I'm not sure we even know that it's Roman as I could see anyone in the company being annoyed at his comments and in my opinion rightfully so.

Advertisement