Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N3 - Virginia Bypass [route options published]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

It joins back up at Lisgrey onto the N3 abruptly, I wonder how that will merge along with cycle and pedestrian path

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Looking at the details it seams to have a hard strip with the 2+2 is the right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

What is the meaning of the dotted red line shown in the Emerging Preferred Option Corridor? It can't be the actual road as that comes later, the Brochure states;

The Emerging Preferred Option Corridor displayed in the maps is typically 300m wide and does not represent the actual width of the scheme, nor the lands to be acquired for the scheme. They indicate the lands within which a scheme could be developed.

The dotted red line makes it look like they are getting ahead of themselves.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

It wasn't very clear on the n3 site but I presume the latest map is the top one on the Publications page, "Consultation 3 - Interactive Map of EPO Corridor."

It says the dotted red line is the EPO Centreline, though I agree it looks suspect as it isn't actually in the centre of the route corridor. Looks more like the exact route they expect the road to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It is up there, you have to go into the virtual consulation room with the grumpy man coming up the stairs.

Then go to the right to the maps at option 5. Clicking it downloads a PDF of the preferred route.

• Advertisement

It is mad to me that they would build a new offline road east of Lisgrey cross where there is over 1km of wide, straight existing N3 with a parallel road serving properties, yet the new road goes back online through Lisgrey Cross which is the dodgiest part of the N3 in the study area. I'd rather they went offline and avoided Lisgrey Cross and used the existing road east of it, even if that meant SC west of Virginia.

Like I said before, the junctions strategy east of Virginia makes on sense. The only junction east of Virginia is this Burrencarragh Link Road which serves nobody. I can see there being a lot of opposition to this road as it runs close to people but they wont have great access to it. I can see people claiming they are taking all of the negatives but getting none of the benefits of the new road. This junction needs to be 1km further east.

Virginia being served by only one junction and it connecting with the narrow BB road into town makes no sense. I think the R178 BB road junction and the R194 BJD link road could be combined in a single junction between the two proposed junction with some link roads and another junction could be provided around the R194 Mullagh road to serve Mullagh and Kingscourt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

• Registered Users Posts: 17 spawinte

From the AngloCelt today

Towards the end 1968 the late Peter O’Reilly of Lisgrey hit upon a promising business opportunity. The increase in trade passing the roadside shop run by him and wife Mary encouraged Peter to contact the council about appointing petrol pumps and a suite of high level advertising signs.

A month to the day after, Peter got word back. His application had been ‘Refused’.

“They told him the [Virginia] bypass was going to be built there and the development might affect the route,”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,252 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

“The bypass is essential, it has to happen. I’m not opposed to it, I’m in favour of it,” Donal tells the Celt. “It is going to impact us. But to what extent, we don’t know yet.”

Though Kevin laments the possible loss of “passing trade” in future, as much as others, he sees the need for the bypass, a key component of the Government’s Ireland 2040 plan for the region.

“People will be afraid [the bypass] will do damage to the town but I don’t think it will. I think, take the traffic out that’s there now, you’ll find it brings more people in, easier parking, all of that.”

Compare those to some of the crap we see in articles on the N/M20. Good to see people can look at this project objectively.

• Advertisement

Coming back from ballyconnell the other day via Virgina, they could really do with this bypass. The traffic was backed up on the southern side to glanbia

Another step taken the RFT for Archaeological services has gone out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

From

Traffic Surveys

"Cavan County Council have commissioned IDASO Ltd to carry out traffic surveys at various locations in the region. The traffic surveys will be undertaken over two weeks commencing on Monday 10th October 2022. The traffic survey locations are primarily based along the N3 corridor but will include locations on connecting regional and local roads. We would expect minimal impact on road users during the installation and removal of traffic survey equipment by IDASO and no subsequent impacts during the operational phase of the surveys."

Expect a few traffic counters to go down next monday...

https://www.anglocelt.ie/2023/05/11/2031-completion-date-projected-for-virginia-bypass/

2031 completion date projected for Virginia bypass

UPDATE Exact route to be published later this month

The Virginia Bypass is set to be completed by the year 2031, best estimates suggest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Yea I think they said that a few years ago. So at least they're consistent!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If this project is complete in 2031, it’ll be one of the first completed out of the 2nd tranche of projects in the NDP so that’ll be a good result.

This has ministerial backing so should be too delayed once it can get through our broken planning system

May 2023 Update

Preferred Transport Solution

The Preferred Transport Solution for the N3 Virginia Bypass has now been confirmed and comprises a number of components which together create an integrated solution that will encourage people to make lower carbon travel choices:

• The Active Travel Component will incorporate walking / cycling facilities along the full length of the scheme and link roads and will connect with existing footways in Virginia and Maghera as well as connectivity to other key trip attractors, where feasible. Bike parking and charging facilities for electric bikes will also be incorporated.
    • For the Public Transport Component - The implementation of the road based component of the Preferred Transport Solution will improve journey time reliability for Buses and can facilitate the improvement for Bus Services by removing congestion. Transport Park & Share Hubs (Mobility Hubs) will be provided at either end of the scheme and these hubs will provide safe access to bus services, safe parking, charging facilities for electric vehicles and electric bikes, and will also be accessible via road and the active travel facilities.
    • Demand Management measures within Virginia Town shall also be implemented as part of the scheme, with measures to be developed during Phase 3 that will include: implementation of a 30km/h speed limit within Virginia Town and the removal of strategic HGV traffic by adopting a HGV / Axle ban within the town (except for deliveries within the town).
    • The Road Infrastructure Component is c.14.5km in length and commences at the end of the N3 Dual Carriageway at Derver in Co. Meath and continues in a northerly direction into Co. Cavan, bypassing to the east side of Whitegate Cross, east of Maghera and east of Virginia Town before continuing north of Virginia Town, following along / adjacent to the existing N3 and terminating to the north side of Lisgrea Cross. The road-based corridor also includes a link to the existing N3 on the south side of Virginia, named the Burrencarragh Link Road and a link to the north side of Virginia to the R194 regional road, named the R194 Ballyjamesduff Link Road. The road cross section will be confirmed during Phase 3.

Public Display

A public display of the Preferred Transport Solution will begin on 16th May 2023 and will run until 16th June 2023. The Preferred Transport Solution Drawings and Brochure as well as the Option Selection Report, which documents the process of selecting the Preferred Transport Solution and outlines the rationale and criteria applied in the selection of the solution can be viewed or downloaded via the Publications page.

The Option Selection Report can also be inspected at the following offices of Cavan County Council:

• Customer Services Desk, Second Floor, Johnston Centre, Farnham Street, Cavan H12 C9K1.
    • Ballyjamesduff Municipal District Office - Courthouse, Virginia, Co. Cavan A82 F8C8.

Large scale drawings are also on display in the window of Virginia Show Centre, The Showgrounds, Virginia, Co. Cavan A82 A9X2.

Having had time to review the preferred route, I don't think the junction situation at Virginia is going to help the town as much as it could. The junction northwest of the town, with BJD link road, is too far from the town for many people to use. Most of the traffic going to/from the town will use the R178 junction. This will still see a lot of traffic on Main Street and the existing N3/R178 junction will still be very busy and a bottleneck.

Really, a parallel distributor road is needed on the northern side of the town. The Bailieborough road isn't suitable for handling the vast majority of traffic accessing/exiting the new bypass with little prospect of widening.

I also don't see the need for an offline new build north of the BJD link road, particularly as the route goes back online just before the L3007 Killinkere junction and Lisgrey House which is the dodgiest part of the road. I don't see the need for the offline build there as the existing road is wide and straight with good sightlines and the only properties along there are already on parallel access roads. They would be better of leaving the road as is there and spending some money sorting out the L3007 - Lisgrey House section.

The thing about Mobility Hubs provided at either end of the scheme makes no sense as nobody lives at either end. A Mobility Hub would at Virginia would make sense (but not so much if it is only accessed via the Bailieborough road) but no anywhere else.

Is the mobility hub at meath end not just an upgrade/ new car park where they currently park for the buses?

I have no idea and the information provided is very light on detail in relation to that. In any case, Virginia should be the main location for a mobility hub and not even mentioning that makes it sound like they copied and pasted in the line about mobility just to tick a box.

• Advertisement

Got Stuck in Virginia twice last week. They really need to try and speed up the process to get construction going quicker

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I was quite surprised to see in the latest update from the project team that this is to be submitted for planning in 2026. Assuming it gets to that stage then (and planning takes c. 1 year in 2026), it could start in 2030 and be finished in 2032.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭cartoncowboy

Oof, Its astonishing how we have created a process, whereby we define a route, tie ourselves up in process and wont get a digger on site for another 7 years. God knows how much the build would have increased by by then. Is it just Ireland who takes this long or is it std across europe typically?

You only got stuck twice...Imagine commuting every single day through the town morning from cavan and evening from Dublin!

I'm quite surprised at no ABP til 2026. I can't see any intrinsic reason why this has to wait 3 years to go to ABP, it really should be ready some time in 2024 going by similar schemes (N4/N21/N21) and it seems reasonably well funded.

Its just kicking that can down the road....Awhile back they had to redo the traffic counting and surveys again (If I remember correctly), Anybody wanna bet they will have to do this stuff again come 2026 and delay it again....

Approval to proceed to Phase 3 (Design and Environmental Evaluation) has been received from Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII). The purpose of this phase is to develop the design of the Preferred Transport Solution, including the mainline alignment and cross-section, the junction strategy and locations, side road arrangements, active travel facilities, transport park and share hubs (mobility hubs) and land take requirements.

As the design reaches a level of maturity where informed discussions can take place, the N3 Virginia Bypass team will consult directly with potentially impacted land and property owners on the developing design

Motoring on now. Marked to be prioritised by the bike salesman so should do well in the next few years, all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

And they seem to want to impede traffic as much as possible in the town and outside with constant resurfacing works, paving, and that shocking roundabout.

• Advertisement

Exactly...And they have put in a extra pedestrian crossing at skellys for good measure.

Advertisement