Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26/N26 Mastercard/Account now for Irish Residents

Options

Comments

can you access deposit savings products on N26 in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Got my money back today, impressed how quick it was, did it all through the app as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭mosstin

I don't know if you're still with VM or not but I left months ago due to the fact that they wouldn't accept an overseas IBAN. Contacted the CCPC who recommended that I write a formal letter of complaint to VM explaining that they were guilty of IBAN discrimination. I'd also raised a couple of complaints via their website, all of this weeks ago. Anyway, got an email from VM customer service team today apologising for not accepting my IBAN which they state "there is no issues with using N26 as the IBAN is German based."

No good to me now but useful to you if you're still with them and they're still refusing to accept the N26 IBAN.

Had it delivered within about 5 days, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Thanks for the update, ended up moving irish iban needed bills to the bothers BOI account

Just got sick of such messing over a simple thing like paying a bill

Then you get that electric Ireland won't acceptv credit union IBAN (not too go off topic)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

You moving on is perfectly understandable as we all have better things to do than spending hours trying to get companies/organisations to comply (back in the days I’ve spent s lot of time on Leap card auto top-ups refusing non-Irish IBANs but I think I have had enough).

But us giving-in really gives an unfair advantage to Irish banks :-/ With KBC/UB leaving the market there isn’t s single bank left which IMO offers decent current accounts due to their poor Apps and/or high fees. But I am still thinking I will probably have to open an account with one of them due to this IBAN discrimination issue (otherwise I’d be perfectly happy with a non-Irish bank).

I am not necessarily a big fan of theirs, but it looks like Revolut are applying for Irish licences for as an e-money provider initially and as a bank eventually. If they ever get a bank license they would be able to provide Irish IBANs with full banking services which could shake the market a bit.

Post edited by Bob24 on

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

Not at the moment, but you could create a space, exclude its balance from your overall balance and block transfers out of that space. You won't get interest, but that's par for the course at the moment anyway.

@Bob24 I agree with you. Everyone should flag every IBAN discrimination issue they come across.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Think people would if it would make a difference....toothless rules and regulations means it won't

Yes for sure. Sometime you wonder if regulators are trying to protect national players they are cozy with, or if it is just incompetence/laziness.

And it isn't just related to banking. Same thing with the DPC and privacy issues, maybe even worse (and while I am not as familiar wit those matters, my impression is that ComReg tends to let telecom companies get away with strange things).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Yeah, it’s not worth it and then who’s to say they won’t cut you off if a few bills go unpaid (and you thinking its all ok and forget to check)

I was actually pricing to see how much I saved with car insurance with BOI via a discount for being their customer and would this be cheaper than the rest and give me “free” banking as covers my charges of E7 or so a month. No doubt be too clever and won’t work a then be stuck with BOI and their flat rate charges

Failing that go back to paying in post office with cash etc, 2021 and might be better to go back to that, says it all

IF revolt can and from what I heard N26 are meant to be bigger, more secure etc etc then make you wonder why they haven’t an Irish IBAN or in the process of getting it 

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

As regards N26 my experience is that their customer service is mediocre. The agents on the chat function are very hit and miss, sometimes give incorrect information: for instance one agent insisted I had applied to open a standard n26 account when it was a premium n26 "You" account. Another two agents insisted only " Metal" premium customers have access to the phone service whereas " You " customers also should have access according to T&Cs, but this phone service is NOT in service when you ring the Irish number and I tried several times but it says "out of service" . In my experience Human Agents on the chat often dont answer specific questions put but send links or avoid answering unless you repeat the questions. Chats can be quite protracted and non- premium customers can have long wait times. They can also terminate chat abruptly before issue resolved. This happened a few times.As regards e mail you will wait a long time to get a reply. I also have read reviews on Google and trustpilot saying accounts can be suddenly closed and other comments echoing what I have experienced.

It is quite difficult to open an account: Passport ID has to be photographed and uploaded several times before accepted( eventhough images are crystal clear). If you have to video -chat an agent to verify ID they can be quite abrupt. I tried to help an elderly friend with this and eventhough I wasn't in video chat once agent heard me in background they said they would terminate call. My friend had difficulties in hearing what agent was saying. The agent even mentioned " prosecution" which was ridiculous. The agents are apparently Berlin-based.

On a positive note I signed up for a n26 you acvount. It costs €9.90 per month ( but I got it free with a voucher- this offer is now over) and the account provides 1 years Allianz travel insurance. I'm not sure this account is worth 9.90. I certainly wouldn't pay it.They charged me €9.90 the minute I credited my account with funds.I immediately requested a refund and received it.

I used the Mastercard in London at both ATM and contactless and it worked perfectly despite others saying they had problems. (You will have to pay €10 for physical card unless premium customer or use google pay)The instant transaction notification are quite good, especially in a foreign country or online.The app is easy to navigate. You can set atm withdrawl limits, stop online transactions or stop overseas transactions. These are excellent facilities not on Irish banking apps.

Negatives : mediocre customer support if you have issues. No person to speak with or call in to unless living in Berlin.

I fear this is the future of banking in general. All online, no branch network, & nobody to speak with or see face to face if you encounter problems.

To issue Irish IBANs as a bank, N26 would need an Irish banking licence (and same thing with every other country they operate in if they want to issue them local IBAN as a bank). This would be massive overhead and regulatory constraints for them so they are probably happy with passporting their German license to operate as a bank across the EU.

Revolut's case is a bit different as apparently they are considering making Ireland their base country to serve Western Europe as a licensed bank. If they go ahead with that plan, there would be an entity called something like "Revolut Bank Ireland", which would be a licensed bank in Ireland and issuing Irish IBAN not just to Irish customers but also to French, German or Spanish ones, etc. It just happens that it would turn out to be very convenient for us Irish consumers to have them based here (same way N26 is arguably a better bank if you are a Germany-based customer as it avoids IBAN discrimination), but the model would actually be the same as N26 only with Ireland as a base country instead of Germany.

An easier way to issue local IBANs is to operate as an electric money institution (an e-money licence is much easier to obtain/maintain than a banking licence) or to work with a supplier which is licensed as one in the relevant country. But then they could not call themselves a bank in those countries anymore, not guarantee access for their customers to all banking services, and not give them access to a national depositor's protection scheme. I don't think this is the way they want to head either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

It is much worse in Germany, most German companies just point blank refuse to accept non German IBANs, even some state entities breach the regulations and nothing is ever done about it

• Registered Users Posts: 65,202 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I quit my kbc current account a few months ago and moved all my income / direct debits to N26. Some were easy, some were harder and only Vodafone (TV and broadband) outright refused to accept a non IE IBAN. This is IBAN discrimination, which I pointed out to them but the thicks on the support desk and their thick arrogant supervisor didn't want to know

I reported this with Comreg in June, got an immediate automated receipt of my email, but not a word since. Typical for the incompetence and toothlessness of Irish regulators and general non-compliance in this country 🙄

Forwarded it to the central bank of Ireland now too, maybe they will do something about it. Surely I'm not the first to report Vodafone for this???

You probably aren't the first one, but as mentioned on the thread regulators are a bit useless. For exemple with regards to leap cards refusing non-Irish IBANs it took 3 or 4 years to get sorted (and no Irish regulator ever did anything, it only got resolved after some of us reported the issue to Solvit and the relevant section of the European Commission which actually went directly to the Irish government about it asking them why they were not compliant with the regulation).

Having said that the Central Bank won't dot anything for you on this as it is not their remit (they only regulate banks and financial services providers). They will probably direct you to the CCPC or maybe to ComReg (the CCPC usually deals with IBAN discrimination, I am not sure whether all complaints related to Vodafone should go to ComReg since it is a telecom company or if the IBAN aspect remains with the CCPC).

Post edited by Bob24 on

I have a cinema membership which I pay by direct debit, and it was the last thing stopping me from closing my Irish account. They told me my IBAN beginning with "DE" was invalid, but I replied to tell them that it was definitely right. Yesterday, just as @unkel describes, they told me in an email that my IBAN needed to begin with "IE" and I replied with the link about IBAN discrimination from the Central Bank of Ireland.

Today, they wrote back to apologise and said that they had changed the details. The interesting part is that the agent said that they were entering Ireland (where I live) as the "country of origin", and not Germany (where the "branch" is), and accordingly the system thought that the "DE" IBAN was invalid.

Something similar happened to me before because I had blocked transactions "abroad", but I live "abroad" from N26's point of view. Maybe if payment platforms dropped the "Country of origin" question (this detail is included in the IBAN anyway, and could be looked up by anyone), the payments would in fact go through.

I reported Vodafone to the CCPC (who were very fast and helpful) too, but it was hard to make it progress because Vodafone wouldn't accept a formal complaint. You couldn't complain to Vodafone if you didn't have an account with them, and you couldn't have an account if you didn't provide an Irish IBAN, so I couldn't get Vodafone's permission to complain 🙄. I used my Credit Union savings IBAN as a workaround, and then I guess they considered my complaint moot, but the fact remains that people who don't have a workaround (nobody should need one anyway) just can't use Vodafone.

Just like yourself I used my Credit Union IBAN for Vodafone. I had already been without BB for 5 days and had them booked in to install that day, could not afford any more delays. I will complain to CCPC too.

"Maybe if payment platforms dropped the "Country of origin" question (this detail is included in the IBAN anyway, and could be looked up by anyone)"

Couldn't agree more. What is this nonsense of time wasting and double data entry. You ONLY need IBAN. Not BIC, not country of origin, nothing else. I wish they didn't even check the name on the account as in any tiny hyphen or anything different from what's on record and the payment bounces. IBAN only!!!

To be honest their staff which couldn’t figure out why their system was refusing a DE IBAN when they flagged it with Ireland as country of origin isn’t very bright.

But yes there is no point in the system requesting that information in the first place. The country code is obvious at the beginning of the IBAN, and it even contains the bank’s code from which you can looked up the full bank’s details from public databases.

• Advertisement

"To be honest their staff which couldn’t figure out why their system was refusing a DE IBAN when they flagged it with Ireland as country of origin isn’t very bright."

They're based in England though, and probably hadn't heard of N26 before. The agent did a much better job than many who work locally and are trained in financial services.

Regardless of where they are based, entering an IBAN starting with DE and then selecting Ireland as a country should give a clue of why the system is saying no. I understand from your post they thought they were supposed to select your country of residence … but since it is something they input alongside the IBAN it could have came across to them that their system was possibly looking for the country of your bank.

And IMO it doesn’t have anything to do with having heard about N26. It could also have been someone with a Spanish IBAN from Santander, a French one from BNP, or an Estonian one from a small bank most of us have never heard about; and it would have made no difference (similarly the IBAN would have started with ES, FR, or EE and they would have had to select the corresponding country).

In the case of Vodafone not accepting anything but IE IBANs (this is illegal and generally described as "IBAN discrimination"), I got word back from comreg. They referred me to the central bank of Ireland (which I had already done). This morning I got word back from the central bank of Ireland, who are referring me to CCPC. So I forwarded my complaint to them.

What can I expect next, the CCPC coming back and referring me to comreg? 🤣

@unkel, I sympathise completely, but it sounds like the CCPC will be quite helpful if you can manage to get a response to a formal complaint.

@Bob24, I see what you mean, but I don't think they routinely use IBANs for domestic transfers in the UK.

I have broadband with Vodafone. Initially they told me they weren't accepting anything other than Irish IBANs. I mentioned that this was discriminatory and then they accepted the N26 direct debit. Not been a problem since. Seems that Irish based companies are as one in not wanting to deal with overseas IBANs and try to put you off.

I asked the credit union about making loan repayments by DD from N26. They said that they insist on Irish IBANs because the fee for a missed direct debit was higher with N26, and that the CU doesn't pass that on to the member. In the end, they let me do it by standing order instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Further Trouble on the horizon for N26.

Following the earlier decision of the BaFin to send in a special commissioner they are now discovering further significant issues with violations of the Anti-Money Laundering legislation.

One of the State Investigators claims that 12% off all investigations they do are about N26, another State claims it's 10% of their overall volume.

Nothing too bad, they can just tighten the controls which will lead to more account blockings and requests for documentations overall.

Hopefully, they get this sorted out because otherwise BaFin eventually must take more drastic actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭lostinNaas

N26 don't seem to have any functioning anti-fraud system.

I have been a customer for a few years, never any problems until this week - account cleaned out (by a merchant in Jamaica!).

The merchant processed repeated payments for the same amount until the transaction was rejected. Then they reduced the request and kept going until they got it down to 18c.

Even a rudimentary anti-fraud system would have blocked this.

There were no auth requests to my phone app.

Contacted N26 today and response is pathetic - they will process a chargeback via MasterCard and "try and get my funds back". No sense of urgency, they don't seem to think it is a matter for their fraud department (assuming they have one).

They're treating this as if it were some disputed transaction, rather than a criminal act. Not impressed and will be leaving as soon as they get my money back.😡

• Registered Users Posts: 2 John_Browne

Yesterday I had my N26 account cleaned out by something called prime sports Jamaica. I have been on to N26 chat to let the know and have cancelled my card and having another issued. I think the N26 security has failed as I am careful with my transactions. I have not had any communication from N26 since. I assume they will reimburse me. Anyone else have been cleaned out? How was it resolved? N26 is not great overall in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 John_Browne

The exact same thing happened to me and the same response from n26

Advertisement