Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro forum beers! (AKA the night of the scandalously drunk retro geeks)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've my second shot for monday but I'm helping out with a play for the next few weeks at the weekends.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just to add, I have loads os space and I have added an outdoor cover outside, in the backgarden, so if people are vaccinated I am happy to host

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,258 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Maybe we could hit two birds with one stone and Retr0 could host his play in your garden? :D

Sounds like an idea - sure lets see how folks go with their vaccines over the next while. We're both double jabbed here so happy to head out when folks are ready.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You bring the Virtual Boys, Vectrex and X6800's. I'll bring the Tennessee Williams to bring the mood down.

Master of the Universe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It all sounds like it will work.

Again, assuming it isn't raining I can put a couple of consoles outside as well, as we have power out there as well as cover and benches.

No CDi... none... ever...

Bu we still haven't beaten Burn Cycle?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Playing Johann Sebastian Joust outside with Move controllers is probably the best multiplayer game experience I’ve ever had. Highly recommended for outdoor gaming. Perhaps a less intense version for the pandemic era :p

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I hadn't heard of that, just checked out a video and it looks absolutely gas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,059 ✭✭✭Doge

Our dream of getting to play retro games on a huge screen might come true after all in a certain Cork Venue of which I'm friends with the management.

I'll update the thread in the coming weeks when I have something more concrete and will organize something then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

For the next two months or so I am not going to be in a position to host one of these, unfortunately.

Perhaps, I might be able to host an Xmas Beers in early December, if people are up for it.

Master of the Universe

Hope everything is alright with your good self!

I'd be delighted to attend an Xmas beers early December if one were to go ahead.

Yeah,

My dad isn't well, so the next month or two are going to be busy.

But I would say it will be a pleasure to host everyone in December.

Post edited by CiDeRmAn on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,059 ✭✭✭Doge

Sorry to hear that man.

Master of the Universe

Ah no, sorry to hear that :( all the best to you and the family.

Hello all,

So, just wondering where folk stand on the idea of a Beers in my place for Festivus?

We can make it as socially distanced as we can, I've a covered outdoor area now, and we could spread out a bit.

It's up to you all, let me know and we can work on a suitable date

BTW, I'm vaccinated, soon to have a booster as well...

Master of the Universe

Definitely stick me down for this!

My one caveat is that Retr0 goes and has another attempt at GnG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,288 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'd be happy to attend if I'm not working!

• Advertisement

Great stuff let me come up with a date and I'll let you know.

I'm even more rusty.

But if I'm given a controller I can blame I might thinks about it.

Just to say any date suits, in December bar the 10th.

If folk are interested and they can come up with a date, maybe the 17th of December, or would something sooner be better?

Should be ok for me.

Enternow has an alias.

As for the other degenerate....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Let’s call him NowEnter… no wait, that’s too obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭Inviere

Master of the Universe

That lad was power hungry, deleted the whole Sega forum on a whim one day so he did. :pac:

I heard he has gone to the darkside of emulation and abandoned authentic hardware.

I remember him saying if Boards could have invented some type of forum "lock on technology" the Sega forum could be saved. Ultimately though, Boards HQ just didn't have enough blast processing available, and HQ said it would have taken ages to be that good.

• Advertisement

The dark side of emulation is a pathway to many things that purists consider to be, unnatural. I believe he spent a small fortune on Amiga hardware of late though, and has plans to at least buy some more Sega stuff.

Okay, so it pains me to say it but now probably isn't the time to planning a get together, things are being cancelled everywhere and with that new Covid variant that sounds like a transformer, I can't risk you all coming to mine and heading home with something unfortunate, and just in time for the holidays too.

So, please forgive me and, as soon as it is safe we will arrange a Beers for sure, because it has been so very long since we all got together.

I cancelled my tickets to see Die Hard at the Lighthouse this weekend. I have the Janssen vaccine, apparently I'm now overdue a booster by 2 months but probably won't hear anything for a while so I'll be laying low!

Well that's Christmas ruined. Damn you retrogames Jesus.

No question about it Cidey, absolutely the correct call. Would be madness otherwise!

Master of the Universe

No problem at all Cidey, thanks for thinking of us this year!

Perhaps a meetup during the summer when we're over the winter with this thing might be a better time to organise a get together.

I think at the moment all we can do is try and time it for when there's a lull in cases. It's all a bit mental at the moment and only really plateauing now.

Master of the Universe

If anyone even wants to pop into Token on a bit of a whim at some point when cases go down let me know and I can book in a table for a few of us.

I was there about a month ago and it was fantastic to be back surrounded by so many machines again.

• Advertisement

Things are getting back to some sort of normal right now, and I wonder how people might feel about a meet-up in the coming weeks?

I'm happy to host, and it would be really great to see everyone in-person once again.

Alternatively, O1s1ns suggestion of a night in Token would also be cool.

So, lets see what folk think and we'll arrange something soon

I'm down as always, provided I'm not in work and so far this year I haven't been on shift whenever I've wanted to do anything so fingers crossed!

I should be able to attend as well. Been away too long.

Master of the Universe

Big thumbs up from me too.

Thanks for responding.

I'll look at a date.

Things have been a little difficult here, my father passed late last year and my mam has taken ill in the past few days.

I probably won't have an idea of a date until things are stabilised here.

But, if someone else wants to fire away and plan something, please do.

Master of the Universe

Sorry to hear that, hope you're managing okay and don't feel under any pressure at all - I'm sure we can all sort something out a little further down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Sorry to hear Ciderman!

I'm down for this when anybody wants to do so. I'll do an antigen test before meeting up too in order to ease people's minds.

Sorry to hear that Ciderman. Hope everything works out for you. Hoping to see you all again. Been too long.

Things are picking up here, my mam is recovering well and so on.

My son is doing his Leaving in a month but, after that, perhaps a meet up in mine?

Anyways, let me know

Family come first. Best of luck for the young lad doing the leaving cert!

Anyone interested in an A&R get together?

Perhaps the 26th?

Let me know!

• Advertisement
Advertisement