Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baby left alone overnight in graveyard in Kerry

Options
  • 16-08-2021 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

This recent story has really stayed with me and made me so sad. A four month old baby brought to a graveyard at night for 'a party' and then forgotten about for a whole night. Thankfully it has ended well but I hope that social workers are able to ensure there is no more child neglect in this family.

(Sorry.. I couldn't attach link as I don't post very often).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Green Banana

This is the latest on it. It appears the mother felt unwell and left leaving the baby in the care of a relative. I'm not sure what I think about it all, I personally can't see how I would be comfortable leaving a baby at a party if I felt unwell and had to leave It would be natural to bring the baby with me, however I wouldn't be at a party at night with a 4 month old baby in the first place. I just hope the feeling unwell wasn't another way to say she was drunk. As then I would see her as being responsible but is there any way of knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Jackben75

madness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Jesus, thats shocking. Hopefully there are no corners cut on this and the child's safety is prioritised.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Luxemburgo

How in the world is this child still with its mother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

What a bunch of despicable bastards. Anything could have happened to that little baby. The family were lucky she wasn’t found dead. If she had been it would be on the paper and be everyone’s fault but their own of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It used be Goths that hung around graveyards all night, must be a "cultural" thing as well.

So mother feels unwell, and leaves baby with someone else. Why not take your baby home? What is a baby going to get out of an all night graveyard thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I saw comment on Twitter suggesting this incident was within the travelling community. There were, however, no sources to support the suggestions and nothing in the several news sources that I have seen to support that either.

It seems very strange. Mother taken ill or otherwise. A four month old faces a very real chance of death being left outside overnight. While I don't know the circumstances beyond what little was reported, this seems a criminal level of neglect.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

@boombang wrote:

I saw comment on Twitter suggesting this incident was within the travelling community. There were, however, no sources to support the suggestions and nothing in the several news sources that I have seen to support that either.

I'm not aware of (open to correction) any other cultural groups in Ireland that commemorate the anniversary of someone's death with a large ceremony at the graveside. There may often be a trip to the grave to lay flowers, but Travellers are the only group I'm aware of who set up camp at the graveside for the whole day and involve music, drinking, etc.

I'm not making any judgements on that practice itself (I personally think an uplifting celebration is better than a dour affair), just saying that I've never heard of anyone except travellers doing it.

Let he/she who has not brought their 4 month old to a late night party at the graveyard cast the first stone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,634 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Tusla

'' give me the BABY!!!''

Judge

''fck off out of it, give baby back to family''

Correct call, crazy mistake of those involved, but it happens 1000s of times a day, people leaving a baby in a car, or shop,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Court has found the mother to be believable. Fair enough, we all feel unwell at some point.

The person who she left the child with could still be charged child neglect/endangerment. Surely this should be investigated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I'm sorry, this does not happen thousands of times a day, that babies are forgotten outside at drinking session in a graveyard.

Never mind her getting back the child, she should be jailed for neglect.

Could happen to anyone.

David Cameron and his wife, Samantha, left their eight-year-old daughter, Nancy, in a pub after having Sunday drink, Downing Street has confirmed.

She is reported to have spent a quarter of an hour at the Plough Inn at Cadsden, in Buckinghamshire, before Mrs Cameron returned to collect her.”

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-18391663

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Well, survival of the fittest…

It would most likely have been a 7 day emergency care order. Would have given enough time to investigate the circumstances and check that there were no issues relating to the care of the baby.

In most situations the child is returned unless there is a significant, immediate risk to the child's safety or welfare.

The mother brought a baby to a graveyard, became unwell (whatever that means 🙄), left baby with another person who then left the baby behind when they left. How long was the baby abandoned for? By any means this was not a typical "oops I forgot my child" incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cnoc

There is a difference between a 4 month old baby and an 8 yr old child.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Polly701

Why was a baby even brought there at night??! Fair enough if that's what the adults want to do but it is an entirely unsuitable place for a very young baby. I hope Tusla keep a very close eye on this family.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Is there actually such a thing as a TYPICAL “Oops I forgot my child” incident?

I don’t think there actually is.

What appears to have happened in this particular case was an unfortunate misunderstanding, and the Judge being aware of the facts denied Tusla’s application to take the child into temporary care.

It’s not unreasonable to surmise that the Judge saw no need for such drastic action and determined that it wouldn’t be in the child’s best interests to grant the application.

Judge made the right call IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

It could happen to anyone.

But .....there's a massive difference between 15mins and returning yourself compared to a child being out all night and then found the next morning by a caretaker and being brought to hospital.

Absolute bottom of the barrel.

• Advertisement

You would be surprised at how often kids are left behind. By all means not uncommon.

More than happy to disagree about the judges decision. Neither of us know the full facts but to me it wasn't a simple misunderstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Yes, that's exactly the same as leaving a baby in a grave yard overnight to be found by somebody else the next morning.

SOHBP. Tongue in cheek post.

A shocking event. The first reports said that the group left the graveyard around 2am and the baby was found when the caretaker turned up for work and heard the babies cries.

It never ceases to amaze me how a certain section of society has “traditions” that are only a decade or so old and everyone else is expected to accept them without question.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The only thing that surprises me is anyone claiming it’s in any way a common occurrence under any circumstances that children are left behind. It’s incredibly rare that it happens, and incredibly unfortunate when it happens.

It’s true that neither of us know the full facts of the case, but the Judge does, and the Judge in this particular case having heard all the evidence presented determined that it wasn’t in the child’s best interests to grant the application to Tusla.

It’s on that basis that I’m saying the Judge made the right call. Granting the application to have the child taken into temporary care wouldn’t undo what had already happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Even if the "tradition" is relatively new, that society is unwilling to challenge damaging nonsense from troublesome parts of society. We're so soft on all sort here cowboy builders, boy racers, corrupt bankers, urban feral teens, drug lords and sections of the travelling community.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

I assume you are taking the pi$$?

Who takes their 4-month-old to a party until 2am?

Who has a party in a graveyard (other than very underage teenagers)?

Who doesn't bring their 4-month-old baby home with them rather than leave them with someone else?

Parents forgetting to collect kids from training, school, camps, etc. Parents assuming the other parent was on collection duty. Childminders, or relatives forgetting they were minding a child. I've come across it plenty of times through work unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭CDarby

A story like that would make your blood boil. I know it's a cliché, but there's hardly been a better time to use it. It's scandalous that you need a license to own a dog or a television.

My brother dropped dead at 38 from S.A.D, himself and his wife tried for 10+ years trying to have children, tens of thousands on IVF, one round of which was successful, but unfortunately the child never made it full term and died in the womb, which his wife still had to deliver. They would have made absolutely fantastic parents who had so much to offer a child coming into the world.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Something you leave in a graveyard?

A baby?

Our survey said Ih---eh!!

Advertisement