Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Baby left alone overnight in graveyard in Kerry

• 16-08-2021 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ Polly701

This recent story has really stayed with me and made me so sad. A four month old baby brought to a graveyard at night for 'a party' and then forgotten about for a whole night. Thankfully it has ended well but I hope that social workers are able to ensure there is no more child neglect in this family.

(Sorry.. I couldn't attach link as I don't post very often).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ Jackben75

madness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭ WrenBoy

Jesus, thats shocking. Hopefully there are no corners cut on this and the child's safety is prioritised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭ boombang

I saw comment on Twitter suggesting this incident was within the travelling community. There were, however, no sources to support the suggestions and nothing in the several news sources that I have seen to support that either.

It seems very strange. Mother taken ill or otherwise. A four month old faces a very real chance of death being left outside overnight. While I don't know the circumstances beyond what little was reported, this seems a criminal level of neglect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,899 ✭✭✭✭ BorneTobyWilde

Tusla

'' give me the BABY!!!''

Judge

''fck off out of it, give baby back to family''

Correct call, crazy mistake of those involved, but it happens 1000s of times a day, people leaving a baby in a car, or shop,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭ Grab All Association

Court has found the mother to be believable. Fair enough, we all feel unwell at some point.

The person who she left the child with could still be charged child neglect/endangerment. Surely this should be investigated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭ Jequ0n

Well, survival of the fittest…

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭ Notmything

It would most likely have been a 7 day emergency care order. Would have given enough time to investigate the circumstances and check that there were no issues relating to the care of the baby.

In most situations the child is returned unless there is a significant, immediate risk to the child's safety or welfare.

The mother brought a baby to a graveyard, became unwell (whatever that means 🙄), left baby with another person who then left the baby behind when they left. How long was the baby abandoned for? By any means this was not a typical "oops I forgot my child" incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭ One eyed Jack

Is there actually such a thing as a TYPICAL “Oops I forgot my child” incident?

I don’t think there actually is.

What appears to have happened in this particular case was an unfortunate misunderstanding, and the Judge being aware of the facts denied Tusla’s application to take the child into temporary care.

It’s not unreasonable to surmise that the Judge saw no need for such drastic action and determined that it wouldn’t be in the child’s best interests to grant the application.

Judge made the right call IMO.

• Advertisement

You would be surprised at how often kids are left behind. By all means not uncommon.

More than happy to disagree about the judges decision. Neither of us know the full facts but to me it wasn't a simple misunderstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭ whisky_galore

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭ One eyed Jack

The only thing that surprises me is anyone claiming it’s in any way a common occurrence under any circumstances that children are left behind. It’s incredibly rare that it happens, and incredibly unfortunate when it happens.

It’s true that neither of us know the full facts of the case, but the Judge does, and the Judge in this particular case having heard all the evidence presented determined that it wasn’t in the child’s best interests to grant the application to Tusla.

It’s on that basis that I’m saying the Judge made the right call. Granting the application to have the child taken into temporary care wouldn’t undo what had already happened.

Parents forgetting to collect kids from training, school, camps, etc. Parents assuming the other parent was on collection duty. Childminders, or relatives forgetting they were minding a child. I've come across it plenty of times through work unfortunately.

• Advertisement
Advertisement