Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Airport Bus Service Changes

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Yes, I noticed that about the Dublin Express timetable PDF, but to be fair Aircoach on the front page of their website still say they operate up to every 15 minutes 24x7, when they haven't been doing so since the start of the pandemic (but did for years and years before that).

I can't see the operators or Dublin Airport agreeing to the kind of website that you are looking for, because Dublin Airport make lots of money where the best stands get flogged to the highest bidders and you can imagine that the highest bidders would argue that they should be given more preference on the website in return for the hefty fees they have paid for the stands.

Dublin Airport could really do with a proper independently run travel information desk staffed by Failte Ireland or the NTA though. The current situation where you have operators having generic unbranded signs saying things like "ALL BUSES TO DUBLIN" and directing you to their own stops making out they are the only operator that runs such service. You've also got the situation where CIE have a desk in T1 that is branded as a travel information desk when in reality it's a commercial sales desk to promote and direct people to their own services, rather than independent travel advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Gosh, why there is so much mess and nobody takes time and puts the effort to resolve all this unfairness? I'm so sick of situations when competitors fight for their place against others which isn't healthy for the competition. They should rather focus to their service quality. It isn't an easy life for passengers in Ireland - pdf timetables (while they're handy, for a regular passenger they may seem overwhelming), lack of info on 1 website, no easy to compare services, lack of maps etc etc. There's no standardisation. Passengers are forced to use their own time to do a research.

If Dublin Bus do not pull their finger out and get Airlink running in the next few weeks then they are literally leaving the barn door open for the likes of Dublin Express. I guess that Dublin Bus might think that in the short term with demand still supressed they are only going to lose money by being in a three way fight with Aircoach and Dublin Express where there is not a huge amount of custom to pick up. However, that's incredibly short sighted.

The thing is National Express are not a here today, gone tomorrow company. They are exceptionally well resourced and in Bernard Kavanagh they have an excellent partner. The fact that they've been stopped for almost 18 months and have come back when many thought they would give it up, shows they really do mean business and are here for the long haul. Their biggest barrier here was always going to be the fact they were going to have to build up a customer base from scratch under a new brand.

The fact that Dublin Bus might well have opened the biggest barrier that National Express faced by giving them the area outside arrivals to themselves for a while, will be music to the ears of National Express executives who probably expected to face a far harder fight for custom. Literally Dublin Bus are turning away to the neighbour on their doorstep at the area outside arrivals.

To be fair the situation is different with GoBE, since GoBE was a new entrant and Aircoach were very smart with how they dealt with that. Here Dublin Express is the new entrant and Airlink is the incumbent and as such, Airlink needs to be defending itself in light of Dublin Express. The next few weeks could be very important and I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see a reaction from DB sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

Rumour has it in DB the Airlinks are not returning now as I said its a Rumour..

Now as you all keep saying DB where planing on getting new buses for the Airlinks but hey covid-19 got in the way as far as I know they where getting the same buses that Lothian use on its services in Edinburgh the E500's on lease

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

E500? Is that the tri-axle ADL Enviro400XLB?

Very nice looking bus, but giving the competition I feel like they really need a coach. Maybe they could spec it out more coach like with more comfortable seats etc.

• Advertisement

Sorry bk, yes the enviro400XLB I've Enviro500 on the brain and apparently they would being kitted out in high spec.

This one actually got sent over to Dublin..But there was issues with it on the boat so it went back on the same boat it came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Innisfallen

There are new ads in the T2 arrivals hall for the 747 today, I assume that's a sign it's coming back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bumblebee2020

Dublin Express look like they are taking charge, they have a new bus stop in Heuston station on their 782 licence, I’ve noticed their buses stopping in there this week on dry runs.

I can see Airlink staying away and looking for a possible sale, it doesn’t make sense to keep it off the road other than a sale.

i can’t see Aircoach happy staying on in their location if Airlink are not due back, they will push for a move.

It doesn't look like Airlink is going anywhere.

Not only have the posters gone up in the airport in the last couple of days with more to go up, but they also have now launched a dedicated website for the service at www.airlinkexpress.ie which rebrands the service as "Dublin Bus Airlink Express" complete with a new logo and a new slogan 'simply connect faster' which looks like it is going to trumpet the services strengths, such as connecting with bus and rail stations and other Dublin Bus services.

I would imagine that Dublin Bus have been caught on the hop by Dublin Express launching and adding a Heuston stop and we may well end up hearing something soon. The fact that they have started updating their marketing materials is not the kind of thing you expect from an operator that is going away.

I also don't think that the sale argument holds water. If you were looking to buy the Airlink license, for every day that it bleeds customers to Dublin Express, the value of that license becomes less and less. The best way to sell it off is to put it on the road so it can stop the customer bleed so it's value does not fall down.

I also cannot see Dublin Bus operating a coach either, they are a bus company and not a coach company at the end of the day and I don't see that changing. The route they might go down is a high specification double decker with a coach style interior like First have on the Essex Airlink or Lothian have on their airport service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

We should take a leaf out of Lothains book, they know how to spec an airport decker!

Its a disgrace Joe!

Nothing to apologise for! 🙂 We'll see what happens in coming days and weeks.

It seems to be quite a fluid situation what with the extra stops suddenly on Dublin Express, extra services on Aircoach and seemingly a potential marketing drive from DB. But everything could change in a few days again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

Did Airlink briefly return at a much reduced frequency for a while last year between lockdown 1 and 2? Am I imagining that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭p_haugh

From reading the Tapatalk transport forum, it appears Dublin Bus have also got some Ticketer ticket machines (the ones that Aircoach also use) for the service as well - also there's mention on the site of the ability to book a VIP mini coach airport transfer through DoDublin? I assume this is some chauffer company doing it on behalf of Dublin Bus (Edit - link to minibus hire here: https://dodublin.ie/city-sightseeing-tours/attractions/mini-bus-hire-247/16-seater)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The Airlink Express adult fares for single tickets has gone up an extra euro to €7. Child fares are €3. Family tickets (2 adults, 2 kids) are €17.

The return fares are as follows: Adults €12, Child €5, Family tickets (2 adults, 2 kids) €30.

You can buy Airlink Express single tickets on the DoDublin website.

The website link is here if you want to purchase them.

I'm personally very happy to hear that Airlink is coming back to Dublin Bus. I think this service coming back to us is a way to generate much needed income for Dublin Bus. They have suffered quite a tough period in their finances even though they were getting lots of state support for operating their PSO routes through the pandemic. They probably need the money from running the Airlink again because they have large bills to cover if they haven't been able to cover them in a normal way during the crisis. It's also a way to give back some confidence in having some form of normality coming back for it's staff that have been out there providing these routes before the pandemic had hit us last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bumblebee2020

this is not a new website, it’s a few years old. Airlink/Dublin Bus like to make multiple websites to get sales,

ticket machines came out of the airport last week, that’s the only movement with Airlink in a while.

The desk inside is gone and won’t be back.

The only ground staff they have taken on is for DoDublin on 2month contracts….and no mention for ground staff in the airport

no Union discussions with drivers to get them back in the Airlink either

my bet is Aircoach will move to Lot 2 and Airlink would slip away and you will see Dublin Express get a few more 747 bus stops.

Post edited by Bumblebee2020 on

From everything that's been presented here I haven't seen much to suggest that Airlink is returning imminently. That website doesn't appear to be as new or recent as some people think. Looks like it hasn't been updated since March 2020, at the outset of the pandemic.

EDIT: Just noticed I clicked on the old site linked above. Not sure why that was linked? I see the new one now with updated info. Interesting.

Ignore the Do Dublin website - it hasn't been updated at all, it still has old information, I would say it is likely that it would be updated in due course if they are coming back.

www.airlinkexpress.ie looks like a work in progress, there are a fair few grammar errors on the pages and a fair few what look to be notes for internal consumption such as <insert x here> for example.

Actually a lot of the content on that site has recently been changed, it even says

Airlink Timetables are currently rewritten for post COVID-19 services. Please visit soon for updates!

It also references new ticket machines which are the Ticketer machines which have been referenced elsewhere. There's even a picture of these machines on their website with a digital ticket showing on one of their buses. Generally operators that has upgraded to Ticketer has often replaced any other machines that they are already using at the same time for compatibility reasons so I wouldn't read too much into DB removing the machines from the airport when we know they have took delivery of new on bus equipment.

The thing with the airport areas is interesting because of the fact I was previously told pre-pandemic that those contracts tie the operators up for a few years in terms of paying the costs of operating there, so it will be interesting if Dublin Bus are able to get out of that contract and stop operating without having to pay the rest of the time of the contract up. I know that Aircoach themselves at least at the start of the pandemic, were still having to pay the stand fees for their area, even when they were not operating.

Now as I've said this week, things are moving fast in the Dublin Airport bus market since Aircoach fired the starting gun a couple of weeks ago and a lot has changed since then. The situation is likely to remain fluid when all the players make their moves and the rest of the players attempt to counter them. It's clear that Dublin Bus spent time on adding updated info to that website and now have newer ticket machines and apparently have new posters in the airport. It's clear there was some intent to return in the not so distant past, if anything has changed in the more recent past however, remains to be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Good to hear that there might be some life left in Airlink.

Though if they continue to charge €7 for a 13 year old city bus versus €6 for a coach, I don’t think it will last long. Brand loyalty will only take you so far.

Maybe if they make it €4 and push it more as an add on or bonus to the hop on hop off.

Those 400XLB buses look nice and I know what you mean devnull that they are a bus company and not a coach company. But they might just have to bite the bullet to stay competitive. It isn’t that much of a stretch, BE has no issues operating both buses and coaches.

No worries ax586, the Enviro500 is basically the same bus as the 400XLB but just for the US market, etc. AFAIK. Interesting that they have a full EV E500 now, will be great when that comes to the 400XLB, maybe we will get some of those here.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

If I get the new airport express service from Heuston to the airport am I correct in saying that it will head to the airport via the M50 instead of the 747 bus which went via the port tunnel?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

Never mind, saw the route online and it seem to be a more direct route than airlinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

That's good news. Although, I can't see anything on the website with particular dates. However, a popup message appears with the following:

"Our Leopardstown via city centre (700), Cork (704X), Belfast (705X) & Galway (706/706X) services are operating at a reduced capacity of 75%. Our 702 (Greystones) and 703 (Killiney/Dalkey) services will be returning soon."

Seems Dublin Express are doing well from this....

Although the response from Dublin Express suggests that they aren't bothering with capacity limits at all anymore?

I know that the Dublin Airport to city centre route is now going to have intense competition, but should they really be seemingly returning to standard capacity right now rather than 75% rule just to hoover up a few more customers to help them win this battle?

Aircoach has always used coaches and Airlink has grown and grown in that time. I really don't see the citybus vs coach thing as big an issue as you do.

Aircoach and Airlink didn’t directly compete. They had different routes, sure there is some overlap near O’Connell St, but the rest of the route was completely different, so room for both. Dublin Express on the other hand directly compete on the same route.

DX are on the same route, almost the same stops, €1 cheaper and a coach versus a 13 old city bus!

Who in their right mind would take Airlink over DX or recommend it?

I think people here might be really underestimating just how much trouble Airlink is in here. A third new competitor, is always going to end up causing you to loss market share, but even worse, one that is on the same route, with better vehicles and cheaper!

DB can stick their head in the sand if they want like BE did with Expressway, I’d hope they are smarter then that and can respond to the competition.

This crackers idea you have that anyone who would pick a double deck citybus over a coach for a whole euro more(!) needs their head checked is hilarious. You're also massively overplaying the two of them sharing the same routing. Most people will just want to get to town and won't pay much attention to what route it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

I take the Airlink because it's included in my tax saver ticket. If I was paying for it and was on O'Connell Street/Eden Quay area heading for the airport around 5pm then, I'd probably want one that goes by the port tunnel but I can't say I'd be bothered for a 20 minute journey if it was a bus or a coach or what logo is on the side once it says Dublin Airport on the front.

• Advertisement

Errr... you know that DX Coach is CHEAPER then Airlink? Why would anyone pay more for a much inferior service operating on the same route?

Of course it makes sense for davetherave above, if it is included on his taxsaver ticket or if included as part of a Dodublin tour ticket.

But if you just want to get into Dublin city center, surely most people will just take the cheapest option, which is Dublin Express. Why pay more for a worse product?!

Also you are wrong about people not paying attention to the route. If you are going to a hostel in Smithfield or Heuston Station for an onward journey, of course you are looking at the route. And now they have a cheaper and better alternative.

I really hope the folks running Airlink are much smarter then this and realise the danger of a significant, well funded competitor, right next door to them and react strongly to that competitor. If they don't and just say it is all grand and change nothing, then it will just be a repeat of Expressway.

Advertisement