Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Dublin Airport Bus Service Changes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭ AlekSmart

koutoubia wrote: »
    Aircoach is for sale? Any links to that?

It's kinda old-news now,but covered in a Family-Silver sell off plan floated last year...

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/uk-world/firstgroup-starts-formal-sales-process-for-us-business-but-pauses-uk-bus-sale-38788218.html

The headline article majors on the U.S. based subsidiaries,but fleetingly refers to the "rest" of the stash...
    Bosses also said previously that they would look at selling the First Bus business in the UK, alongside existing plans to offload the Greyhound coach business.

It's all to play for anyway these days when you see the great Warren Buffet baling out of Airlines...... :)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52518186
    "We will not fund a company that... where we think that it is going to chew up money in the future."

Collect your hat on the way out.......:(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ Att vara en hest

wouldn't surprise me if Flixbus sweeps in to buy aircoach, seems like they're buying all European bus companies

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 19,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Mr.S

Talk about worst timing for Dublin Express to launch. They must have been going for what, 2 weeks?

Likely to not return?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ soundman45

Id say even Aircoach might only resume services on a scaled back basis and its also going to hit their value if any sale goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ koutoubia

Mr.S wrote: »

Likely to not return?

Not what we* were told!
    There is regular chat on the drivers whats app.
    National Express invested lot in this service. Cant see that being binned especially when they have the prime slots at the arrivals!

* we being the drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 19,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Mr.S

koutoubia wrote: »
    Not what we* were told!
    There is regular chat on the drivers whats app.
    National Express invested lot in this service. Cant see that being binned especially when they have the prime slots at the arrivals!

* we being the drivers.

That's true. Hopefully picks back up again soon. July seems to be the month where travel will start up again, albeit slowly.

Hopefully they still launch that Raheny route to the Airport.

Aircoach route 700 is back on although on a very much reduced service operating between the Airport and UCD as is the routes 704 Cork and 705 Belfast, any word on National Express starting back?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭ p_haugh

JJ Kavanagh & Sons also back up and running by the looks of it - not sure which routes though but looks like the Naas - Dublin Airport one is running

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ ExoPolitic

p_haugh wrote: »
    JJ Kavanagh & Sons also back up and running by the looks of it - not sure which routes though but looks like the Naas - Dublin Airport one is running

I saw the Dublin - Waterford one with destination blinds up in Waterford... I asked yesterday but they didn't reply. Guess its a soft launch.

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    I saw the Dublin - Waterford one with destination blinds up in Waterford... I asked yesterday but they didn't reply. Guess its a soft launch.

Nothing on their Facebook/twitter/website so seems like it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭ Jamie2k9

Website says full schedule resumed 1 Sep on all main routes.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Website says full schedule resumed 1 Sep on all main routes.

Ah, I must have missed it when I checked yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ ExoPolitic

Ah, I must have missed it when I checked yesterday

I checked too, it wasn't up, so was a soft launch.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭ devnull

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    I checked too, it wasn't up, so was a soft launch.

When I had a look yesterday it wasn't advertised.

The Naas -Dublin City-Airport service has been drastically reduced, even before covid there was no passenger uptake on this route.

Dublin Express are expected to resume service either this month or next month and are still intending to launch a further route taking in Clontarf, Clarehall, Raheny and Fairview at some point, perhaps later in the year.

It seems however they will not be ploughing ahead with the speculated routes to Castleknock, Citywest, Tallaght and Ballymun that were originally discussed but this could change in the next 12-18 months.

Aircoach are due to resume service on 29th July on route 700. No news on 702/703.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭ thomasj

devnull wrote: »
    Dublin Express are expected to resume service either this month or next month and are still intending to launch a further route taking in Clontarf, Clarehall, Raheny and Fairview at some point, perhaps later in the year.

It seems however they will not be ploughing ahead with the speculated routes to Castleknock, Citywest, Tallaght and Ballymun that were originally discussed but this could change in the next 12-18 months.

Aircoach are due to resume service on 29th July on route 700. No news on 702/703.

Ah sure with the N8 on the way , there isn't really a need for a Castleknock route?

Any word on when the 706/x is going to commence (Aircoache's planned Galway routes)?

Also decided to see if anything has changed on the Dublin Express website - they have a new splash page which does indeed announce they're returning this summer (no date mentioned though)

https://www.dublinexpress.ie/

Any word on when the 706/x is going to commence (Aircoache's planned Galway routes)?

Must be soon as they are recruiting Galway based drivers now

• Advertisement

Further news to follow later in July is the last I heard.

Still no news on what the Terminus will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,855 ✭✭✭✭ stephenjmcd

Any idea if aircoach will be resuming the greystones route ? No mention of it on their website

The last I heard was they were looking at potentially late summer for it, but no decision ahs been taken yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ thenightman

Is Dublin Coach running? looking to get to the airport early on Tuesday morning from Clondalkin and DC from Red Cow Luas seems to be only option as the dualway hopper isn't running at all.

I would say Dublin Express and Dublin Bus will be watching the numbers on the Aircoach #700 as they're the first service within the Dublin area to start back, all be it with a limited timetable but no doubt that will be reviewed based on the numbers they are getting.

I wouldn't say there is enough demand at the moment for the services not going through the city centre to restart, which is why you're seeing Dublin Coach (750), Aircoach (702/703) and Airport Hopper hanging back still with their services at the moment.

Interesting that Aircoach haven't really marketed the Galway route they just launched to people in Maynooth as far as I can see, you'd think that they would try and take advantage of the fact there is no hopper so far.

Dublin Express will relaunch on Monday 16th August 2021.

We’re delighted to be welcoming customers back on board our coaches. While our timetable may be reduced for now, we will still be providing frequent services every 30 minutes between Dublin City and Dublin Airport.

Government guidance on travel is changing regularly and may differ from one location to another. Please check the latest government guidance in line with your travel plans and make arrangements accordingly. It is your responsibility to check Government guidelines.

You can still book with confidence as refunds can be obtained free of charge on all tickets cancelled 72 hours prior to your outward departure via our cancellation portal. Tickets cannot be amended, however you have the flexibility to travel 12 hours either side of the journey time stated on your ticket or you can cancel your ticket free of charge 72 hours before departure and rebook for a later date.

Their new route, already being nicknamed the 'Quay Express' is what appears to be a circular loop rather than a traditional inbound and outbound service, like Aircoach used to do on their 701 Ballsbridge service.

FROM DUBLIN AIRPORT T1 & T2

• Airport T1 & T2
    • George's Quay (Tara Street)
    • Aston Quay (O'Connell Bridge)
    • Wellington Quay (Temple Bar)
    • Merchant's Quay (Christchurch)
    • Usher's Quay (Libertines)
    • Ormond Quay Upper (Grattan Bridge)
    • Eden Quay (Marlborough Street)
    • Custom House Quay (Docklands)

TO DUBLIN AIRPORT T1 & T2

• George's Quay (Tara Street)
    • Aston Quay (O'Connell Bridge)
    • Wellington Quay (Temple Bar)
    • Merchant's Quay (Christchurch)
    • Usher's Quay (Libertines)
    • Ormond Quay Upper (Grattan Bridge)
    • Eden Quay (Marlborough Street)
    • Custom House Quay (Docklands)
    • Airport T1 & T2 

The times for stops to Dublin Airport seem to be matching the same time that a service from Dublin Airport also calls at the same stop, which may suggest that the whole route is a loop taking passengers in both directions to and from the airport, so you could have both passengers from the airport on the same service as to the airport at the same time. 

You would imagine an announcement from DB in relation to Airlink will not be far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Bumblebee2020

I cant see Airlink coming back at this stage, They would of brought it back by now when Dodublin came back. I would say 2022 for Airlink.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 20,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭ bk

Would seem to be a nice opportunity for Dublin Express to bed in if Airlink don't return for a while.

I've absolutely no idea if there is any truth to this, but their is a rumour going around that Airlink may never return.

It sort of makes sense, with the new competition from Dublin Express, offering fares similar to Airlink, but with a more comfortable coach, it is hard to see what the market for Airlink is. But as I say I've no idea if this is true.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be so pessimistic about Airlink myself.

It's a very well known brand name that is very well established and certain customers will get it for free with their passes that they use for commuting. In addition it serves the main bus and rail stations.

Aircoach for years had all the advantages over Dublin Bus that you list Dublin Express has, but Dublin Bus still did and continues do do very well because of the brand recognition and the areas that it services.

Aircoach faces the biggest threat from Dublin Express for city centre runs, especially considering that Dublin Express has took their prime spot at Dublin Airport which has resulted in Aircoach being hidden out of the way to tourists.

Advertisement