Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you concerned about the destruction of the natural world and climate change?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

According to kay burley on sky news this morning we have 11 years to save the planet. How the **** is she allowed to get away with broadcasting that scaremongering bullshit on live tv at 830 in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If we believe all those doomsday climate predictions, the world would have ended in the 90s, 2000s, 2010, 2020 etc

Its almost always ~10 years to save the planet - I think the reason is because if they push the timeframe out too long people wont care.

The reality though is that 10 corporations are responsible for more than half of carbon emissions worldwide - so if governments want to take action, take action against those first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Forest cover by-in-large tends to line up with mountainous regions. If land can be farmed, it generally will be. Same is true of Spain/France/Italy. Valleys in between mountains tend to be farmed while the mountains are left to themselves. Mountains here are generally grazed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Did you not read anything about the IPCC report? If emissions are not drastically reduced global temperatures will continue to rise, resulting in drastic consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not but to answer your question. No i did not read it.i still think kay burley shouldn't be spewing that nonsense on live tv though. She shouldn't be on tv full stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,918 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

China's emergency action plan is that they intend to become carbon neutral by 2060. I don't think India have a plan, but if they did, they wouldn't stick by it any more than the Chinese have any real intention to. China have the goal of becoming the worlds dominant super power and nothing will be allowed to get in the way of that, so their stated intentions are a bare faced cynical lie designed to pre-empt the eco-sanctions that will likely come and might threaten the income stream needed to finance their path to global hegemony.

I bet that 40 years from now, the IPCC will still be putting out reports that conclude that if more isn't done to reduce CO2 emissions, there will be catastrophic consequences, but that it's not too late if we all pull together and do something now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Well tbf to China they might not have a choice but to do something when half the country will be a desert and the other half underwater if this keeps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭beerguts

I'll give my tuppence on this important subject of what I have withnessed over the last 40 years in the west of Ireland

1. The climate had got a great deal wetter. I can see this with the soft rush that is expanding and taking over a lot of the grazing land west of the Shannon. This is also partially due to poaching from overstocking put increased rainfall has definitely led to land saturation even in limestone areas that were free of the rush in previous generations.

2. Less insects in general. A portion of this is due to the erratic weather and increase of use in pesticides. Probably will get worse in years to come.

Rest of issues I see are due to human activities and could be motivated by reducing sheep farming on the hills more so than removing dairy herds. Also stopping private turf cutting which should be phased out over the course of the next 5 years. Also there is no need to replant forests just pay farmers to let land lay fallow and nature will colonize it pretty quickly. Small things put they would help on a local level.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,157 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Actually not necessarily true of other countries.

You come across huge swaths of old forests in say France.

And they can be lots of trees in valleys like the Dordogne. Then again parts of it definitely not suited to modern agriculture.

Over in Baltics huge forests on perfectly flat land.

Ehh that would be the over abundance of deer.

And the deer herd has gotten so big they have long since spilled out of the national parks, especially so in Wicklow where farmers have hunters in every other week.

Normally think this is most stupid idea I ever heard, but slowly thinking the unforeseen consequences that eejit Ryan didn't think of might be actually best thing ever for our environment.

BTW I am talking about the Darwin award nominees that the wolves would dispense with would help lower the population.

Wicklow national park really is often just hilltops in places.

For instance Luq is not in National Park, one side of Scarr isn't, one side of Kippure isn't.

It is not a very nice contiguous area at all so what someone may think is Wicklow National Park is actually comonage, part of one of those big estates or plain old farmers land/bog.

You have areas of coillte forestry and military ranges in there as well.

And this was the area that plonker wanted to house wolves.

Oh dear god deliver us from fools.

Oh wait must think of wolves eating green hillwalkers and better still all those highly visible bicylers.

Yeah for wolves. Brilliant idea minister. Bravo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Maintenance costs would be higher as tied to Tesla dealer, dont kid yourself, they'd be claiming for every unit of electricity used for charging and it'll be scrap long before the BMW and Mercedes,

ok well according to the national parks and services or whatever it's called over 50% of Wicklow national park has grazing rights, I was just responding to someone who said there is no farming in our national parks.

Deer and sheep are the reason nothing grows, there are many examples of land being fenced off from sheep etc and over time it starts to look like actual wilderness.

I don't get why people are so fixated on Eamon Ryan when the subject of climate change comes up, this should be something all parties are tackling, and he'll be gone after the next election anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

There's no fixed servicing on a Tesla....fuel costs 80%less.

Have a look here for a comparison, see below for an example of far inferior BMW for example 🙂

They won't be itemising the bill, we'll be paying for the townhouse, the country house and the bit on the sides apartment along with the upcycled Mazda, if everything was free everywhere politicians would still claim expenses,

July 2021 hottest ever recorded month, beating September 2020, things could get a lot worse quicker than we think. Electric cars arent the answer ffs.

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/july-was-earth-s-hottest-month-record-noaa-says-n1276764

Not the hottest month ever ,just the hottest since they started keeping records and even those are questionable up until 50 or so years ago, You are getting all worked up over very little, reading far to much clickbait on the Internet, That Asteroid, benni or whatever is far more of a risk than a few dry days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

There just not informed the media here focus purely personality clashes rather the anything substantive. In Ireland it’s a case of “we will just let the killer bees come to us”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I think agriculture is an easy scapegoat in this country. Yes it has intensified but us ordinary consumers have a part to play here and not out 100% blame on farmers and the large food companies. There is a lot of food wasting going on.Farm incomes and jobs in the agri food sector could be protected if we made better use of food and possibly reduce herd size at the same time. We all want the nice cuts of meet..no harm in that but think back 30/40 years ago we cosumed meat better. Its v rare now you hear oxtails been use or someone cooking heart, tongue liver etc. We produce a good bit of goats chesse, milk and yogurts here yet do not cosume goats meat. Considering we are now more multicultural and well travelled in Ireland now surely we should be able to be a bit more creative and adventurous with meat here. Same with fruit and veg waste. There is a lot of work going on behind the scenes in farming to reduce the carbon output which doesnt get enough attention, like the research of adding a type of seaweed to animal feeds to reduce gas etc.

We need to use our existing transport network better too. Too many rail lines in Ireland under performing due to proper lack of planning and investment which forces people into cars. Its easy to say o v low passengers numbers so its not viable on the Ballybrophy to Limerick line for example. In reality in its current formation its not user friendly. Its painfully slow and the train timetable does not make it a option for those commuting to work in limerick. Also a examination of stops along the route and possible a new stop near thomand park would make it attractive for students in LIT etc and UL are developing a site in the city centre which would make the line more attractive if the service was timetabled correctly. Same with limerick ennis line if that was anywhere else in Europe you would have a stop on that line where you change for shannon going through the industrial estate and onto the airport

Also I dont get the big attraction of data centres popping up around the country. Once up and running they provide little employment but are massive drain on our electricity supply. Data centres are grand in the likes of Iceland where they tap into the natural geothermal energy supply there.. also on a global scale noone seems to want to address the elephant in the room that are batteries from electric cars wether its the environmental impact of the mining of components to make them or at the end of their life the disposal of them. Its like the west doesnt care as its the 3rd world suffering the local impacts

Its easy to finger point at India, China & US but change has to start somewhere even if its little changes here in Ireland. The consumerism of society is the environments best enemy. That defo stood out to be during lockdown. Most of the clothes i bought in last 18 months was when i needed maternity clothes. Up to that point i bought very little in the way of clothes. Working from home wore out older clothes until til became rags. Then some of those rags became good dusters instead of buying cloths for cleaning in the supermarket.Meant got more wear out of things that i would otherwise and my wallet was happier for it too

Yes I mean unless you had small kids most people managed just fine without clothes shops during lockdown. I mean the amount of clothes that are already out there, I'm sure we'd manage not buying new clothes for years if we really had to, but unfortunately advertising etc. has us hell bent on new clothes being bought constantly. A massive polluter too the clothing industry.

Christmas to me is a celebration of all that is wrong with this society, the absolute mindless consumerism, most of it sent to landfill almost immediately. We really need some leaders right now, here and in the rest of the world, but it's kind of an impossible task right now to convince people to consume less and live differently, given the lifestyles richer countries especially have become used to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

100% agree with christmas. Yes i love getting presents but not if its something ill have fired into the bin by womens christmas in January. We now in our family make a point of seeing is there something a family member actually wants like a specific perfume that they will wear etc or something they want to experience like a restaurant etc. In recent years have bought more locally produced goods here in ireland be it craft beers and whiskeys, etc that i know the person will use and enjoy

Last week on the radio I heard a department store announce what theme christmas tress will be this year. Now in our house the theme of our christmas tree is whatever decorations are in the box from last year and are not broken up they go. Summed up the cheap disposal shite from China we have become accustomed to in the western world

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Thanks for that post. I admire the honesty in "No I did not read but I still think". A universal sentiment underlying the motives of the anti-science movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Heraclius

I agree with so much of this. There really needs to be an ambitious program to make the rail network faster, more frequent and tailor the timetables to commuters' needs.

I think batteries will be part of the approach to weaning us off fossil fuels but I do worry that most people think that buying a new electric car and then replacing it every year or two on PCP makes them more virtuous than someone hanging on to an old diesel until it dies. To me it is just more mindless consumerism creating emissions but in this case the hidden emissions of manufacture. I guess at least the air in Irish cities will become more breathable.

I lived in the US and they take a much more severe view of wildlife crime than they do in Ireland. I would advise against hunting there unless you change your attitude in regards to wildlife laws.

Post edited by steddyeddy on

Not sure what you mean my friend. My planned trip to the US is on the invitation of a boards user who has been doing it for years. I trust he is on the right side of the law in terms of where and why he is inviting me.

When I go onto his stage - I will play by his rules.

Your post makes not so much sense to me I have to admit. If you mean that how I am playing things here in Ireland would not transfer to the US - then my quick answer is that I do not plan to take my lifestyle - attitudes - or intentions from the Green Isle to the US. I am 100% playing by his rules when I go over there :)

The only thing I plan to take with me from Ireland is my bow. Which is sexy as hell. After that - I am a blank canvass.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I wonder is it to do with huntstown and white gate being off line?

cgt plants I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Nermal

I don't fear temperature rising a few degrees over the course of a century, but I definitely fear the respectable wing of Extinction Rebellion now administering our energy supply.

Tell the truth: there is no 'just transition'; it's simply not physically possible to transition to a world supplied by diffuse energy sources and maintain a first-world standard of living.

Advocating a low-carbon society is advocating poverty.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,918 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Yes, a low carbon society is only achievable through crippling taxes and crippling cost impositions.

• Advertisement

No offence meant T. Stressful day yesterday so maybe my reply was too curt to appear polite. I just meant that you need to be very careful in regards to American wildlife law. You stated "I must say I am not a 100% follower of all laws". I was thinking that you intended to be like that in the US.

Advertisement