Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread 22/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

Hard for me to decide who is the more useless stand-in, Mark Cagney or Jonathan Healy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

listening to the hard shoulder about Irish people who have emigrated , including one young fellow who is in Cyprus for a whole 2 weeks, and another girl who is a few months in Malaga. Would make you worry for the future generation !!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭chosen1

2smiggy wrote: »
    listening to the hard shoulder about Irish people who have emigrated , including one young fellow who is in Cyprus for a whole 2 weeks, and another girl who is a few months in Malaga. Would make you worry for the future generation !!

I had to turn it off early with the accent on that young lad.

The girl struck me as being very naive about what actual emigration involved and will more than likely be in for a sharp shock when savings run out and the holiday feeling ends.

Should have spoken to other young people, with a longer experience of being away to get a more accurate perspective on the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I was listening to Newstalk on Tuesday, afternoon I think, and heard a woman giving tech tips regarding problems with mobile phones and tekkie gadgets. Now a family member had one of the problems which she answered and I can't remember which programme it was. I'd like to find it online and listen again if its possible.

it would have been Jess Kelly , @jesskellynt is her twitter user name. She is on lots of Newstalk shows, so maybe easier just ask her directly on twitter !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Had to stop listening when Ciara Kelly began covering morning show, her constant shouting over people is hard to listen to

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Many thanks for that, but I don't have a Twitter account.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Jess Kelly has a slot on Pat Kenny. It would be close to 12 but I can't remember which day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Why is it when the hard shoulder wants to talk about indoor dining they go to the same pub and the same restaurant?. Won't give them any more publicity but I'm sure regular listeners know them.

John O'Donovan from Cark on now, upset about not being left into a pub last night . Every cloud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Former jockey on with Ciara now a Betway "Ambassador" no less.

Will the constant shilling for betting companies ever end?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

Is it general consensus that this section of Moncrieff with the two "characters" shouting relationship advice into the microphone is the worst segment on his show?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Anton in for Pat for the week according to his twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭spakman

Anton will no doubt find himself hilarious.

He knows stuff about cars as well, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

did Kieran Cuddihy's wife have a child recently or what? he's been banging the drum about partners not getting into maternity hospitals for months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Kieran is like a weathervane, he’ll go whichever way the wind blows!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The replacement this week for Andrea Gilligan, his name escapes me for the moment, Newstalk has finally dropped all pretend at being a serious news channel.

The shock jock thing is very much a double-edged sword for radio, many would not want their brand associated with it but it probably brings in more listeners?

It could also be the kiss of death for any journalist that aspires to a serious career in journalism or as political advisor to be associated with a shock jock.

A pointless, non-competition. Let us know who is the bestest Irish band/act ever. Cost 30c for your brain fart.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Because women are still finding out problems with their pregnancies and their partners aren't allowed in.

The Health Minister, HSE etc keeps saying that the guidelines have changed etc and hospitals should stop this practice for well over 3 months now, but hospitals are still doing it.

It's inhumane and it shouldn't be ignored. Kieran's the only one pushing it and he'll keep pushing it until it stops. Fair play to him in my opinion. He's the only one actually trying to put pressure on the powers that be to actually stop this sort of nonsense.

Why are you so against it?

Maybe because Cuddihy has made his point and doesn't have to have it always as the main point of his programme?. Maybe he does other items but every time I tune in on the way home hes talking about it so I go elsewhere. are the hospitals just being cruel or are they trying to protect people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'm sure their answer would be they are trying to protect people but it's probably typical bureaucracy where every decision hast to be triple stamped and agreed with unions. So they just prefer to ban partners from attending. I'm not particularly soppy and I dealt with quite a few things on my own because OH was busy. However when things go wrong you are in very vulnerable position, sometimes you don't think of things you want to ask, you might need someone to call the nurse or to get you a pack of sanitary towels etc. Even if you ignore emotional support and the stress partner waiting in the car is going through there is a lot to be said for someone helping you. Maybe things changed in last 8 years but I was often enough forgotten about in maternity hospitals so I would not want to rely on busy (and in one case just incompetent) staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

I think it's fairly clear with this "Ireland's greatest" vote they're running now that they really want Thin Lizzie to win. They spend most of the ad time playing their music

every show today, every one , has been none stop on about the maternity hospitals despite the head of the Rotunda giving a perfectly reasonable explanation on the Pat Kenny show

Cuddihy off on his current hobby horse again, I'm out. Pat featured the maternity situation as did Andrea did. Didn't hear the breakfast show but wouldn't be surprised if they did also.

and Pat was the only reasonable one, where he read out texts expecting mothers with opposing opinions. Not the one side we get from Cuddity

Just dialed in there and it's still ongoing so I've given up on the show, pity as otherwise I think he's a good presenter but has gone off on an ego trip here

So you think vulnerable women should be forced to go into a 20 week scan without their partners?

The stretches people will go to defend inhumane bullsh*t like that.

I've heard Kieran say countless times that they have contacted maternity hospitals to come on and they wont. Why not? What are they afraid of?

the head of the Rotunda was on talking to Pat yesterday. Pat said he could see his point of view, but then again he would be a balanced interviewer. That is probably why they would talk to Pat rather then Kieran or Ciara Kelly. More of a serious conversation rather than tabloid shite.

BTW I think it is terrible to keep the couples apart, but there must be a good reason behind it IMO, rather than just cruelty.

Crazy ass knife carrying yank pulls knife on a dog.

• Advertisement

And now the National Maternity Hospital has revealed unrestricted access for one partner.

Imagine what happens when these hospitals have a spotlight shone on them? Things actually change.

Now that one hospital has changed their minds, the pressure is on the rest of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement