Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread 22/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I mean, is that really narcissism? Even going by this small forum, she managed to “attract” an awful lot of anger, resentment, hatred, spite and abuse.

Sure, you still have lads listening back to her show, in the evening, of course, to get “wound up” and angry over something she’s said.

Can only imagine how “magnified” that got on Twitter. Loads more oddballs on there.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

She was defamed and vilified. Some people don't like women with opinion and some people don't like women with 'wrong' opinion. You can't win against the bitter and the sanctimonious.

I'm not going to pay for an article on Independent.ie, but is that article not about thoughts of self-destruction?

I hope for her sake she doesn't read this forum, where the criticism is sometimes humorous and fair, but at times, absolutely ridiculous in its vitriol.

It's a good article. Ironically there are screen shots of it floating on Twitter.

• Advertisement

Utter bull**** IMO 'I thought about walking into the sea'.... Likely inspired by Bressie making a few quid out of the depression chat corporate circuit.

Don't post in this thread for a week -- Mod.

Funny how when George Hook talked about walking the length of a pier with thoughts of throwing himself in it was met with praise.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I'm quite liking Mark Cagney in place of Ciara this week.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Imagine being from Ukraine and trying to understand this lad, I can't make a word out he's saying, if this was on Joe Duffy I'd think it was a boardsie ripping the p1ss

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

pc7 wrote: »
    Imagine being from Ukraine and trying to understand this lad, I can't make a word out he's saying, if this was on Joe Duffy I'd think it was a boardsie ripping the p1ss

I'm from his neck of the woods, and I can't understand him either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

God, bring Ciara back all is forgiven. Can not hack these two ageing middle aged men waffling on, wringing their hands and gnashing their teeth. What a moan fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Dry open air concert with some lad I'd never heard of singing watery covers. Didn't miss much.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Just in case you missed it, Dr.Ciara Kelly's has announced to a waiting world that she's getting a tattoo. Whatever happened to a hundred days of walking?

Hoping attachment went through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Jesus Bobby Kerr does not have a radio voice anymore. I appreciate he's had his health issues to overcome but he sounds like someone who was up half the night shouting and roaring. It sounds like he is straining his vocal cords and extremely off-putting to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

UsBus wrote: »
    Jesus Bobby Kerr does not have a radio voice anymore.

He never had one.

Nice guy, but a concrete mixer is more pleasant to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Newstalk Breakfast stung rapid manipulating a twitter poll regarding the teaching of "white privilage" in Irish schools

https://mobile.twitter.com/NTBreakfast/status/1405418848103321600

????

I don't get what the issue is except that Twitter pools and similar nonsense pools have absolutely no relevance.

Newstalk Breakfast stung rapid manipulating a twitter poll regarding the teaching of "white privilage" in Irish schools

https://mobile.twitter.com/NTBreakfast/status/1405418848103321600
    30 likes and 12,700+ votes?

Seems legit.
    meeeeh wrote: »
    ????

I don't get what the issue is except that Twitter pools and similar nonsense pools have absolutely no relevance.
    Broadcasters use them as if they are, though, and they do lend credence to a perception of support, even if they shoudln't. Someone clearly thinks it was worth manipulating.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

meeeeh wrote: »
    ????

Youre going off the deep end there

Youre going off the deep end there

No I don't do twitter really so I didn't get what the issue was, but I see now that they manipulated a poll and triggered whole pile of people with the result.

My opinion of twitter or fb pools stands though. Anyone who actually takes them seriously should have their head checked.

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity, is it easy to “manipulate” a Twitter poll? And, if so, should all Twitter polls be taken with a pinch of salt?

Is a number of angry posts after a poll result an “indicator” of a dodgy poll? I would have thought that was fairly standard, you see the same on the journal.ie whenever they do something similar. Lots of angry men railing against whatever the outcome is.

The tide is turning…

Twitter polls or any other polls without proper sampling should not be taken seriously at all. They are completely meaningless.

One does wonder if Newstalk manipulated the results to get more text reaction or to get more notice on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Newstalk is absolute dogshiit these days

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I notice about Ciaran Cuddihy that he adopts a medical issue and campaigns on it in every programme until he drops it for another. A while ago it was a certain woman was waiting for her vaccine so she could see her mother. Before that it was a child overdue for a procedure. Both featured every day for about a week.
    Now its about John who wasn't allowed in to see his wife after a miscarraige in hospital. I know its a terrible situation but you get the impression Cuddihy is just using it to add to his previous campaigns. Today is I'd say its the fourth day in a row he's started with it.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I notice about Ciaran Cuddihy that he adopts a medical issue and campaigns on it in every programme until he drops it for another. A while ago it was a certain woman was waiting for her vaccine so she could see her mother. Before that it was a child overdue for a procedure. Both featured every day for about a week.
    Now its about John who wasn't allowed in to see his wife after a miscarraige in hospital. I know its a terrible situation but you get the impression Cuddihy is just using it to add to his previous campaigns. Today is I'd say its the fourth day in a row he's started with it.

It's about putting pressure on authorities to do something.

So many of their campaigns have ended with positive results for those who needed their help. I really, really don't see what the problem is with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Yet again the topic of mispronunciation of certain words is wheeled out on the breakfast show - the irony is lost on Coleman and Kelly as they continue to mangle the language every day. Ciara even said she might be guilty of saying noos instead of news.

As for Shane who every day that he's on the show starts with 'this is Ciara Kelly and Shane Coleman wid you'....the sports reporters who insist on trying to be hip by pronouncing Budapest as Budaphest - would they refer to Paris as Paree?

Del.Monte wrote: »
    As for Shane who every day that he's on the show starts with 'this is Ciara Kelly and Shane Coleman wid you'....the sports reporters who insist on trying to be hip by pronouncing Budapest as Budaphest - would they refer to Paris as Paree?

The sports guys tend to say ‘paree’ when referencing the PSG soccer team. Definitely not exclusive to Newstalk. George Hamilton is mad for local pronunciations.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 19,979 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

'Pride' is gone too main stream as well it seems.

Baffling really ?! Do they want a bit more flag burning like Waterford ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭VonLuck

2smiggy wrote: »
    'Pride' is gone too main stream as well it seems.

Baffling really ?! Do they want a bit more flag burning like Waterford ?

It's probably a good sign that people are feeling it's oversaturated. Means that it's so commonplace that it has become an annoyance for some!

Those incidents like in Waterford on beside Panti Bliss's place in Dublin will always happen, regardless of how accepted the LGBT community is. There'll always be idiots who pick on people that are different than they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,979 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Who is in for Ciara this morning ? She is somehow way more annoying.

On now a combination of her, Coleman and now Paul Murphy. The radio was close to being fired out the window.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement