Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Venom: Let There Be Carnage

• 22-04-2020 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,273 ✭✭✭✭

Vemon 2 has a title and a release date 25.06.21

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I'm a little surprised anyone is announcing release dates with the future of cinema theatres more or less in the balance at the moment. But maybe the studios want to lay down markers so they can shuffle their other movies into those slots later if they need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Could just be putting a pin in it because all the other film studios are shuffling about so much at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I get people loved Venom, and surprised a lot of folk by doing well in the box-office, but I couldn't be more "meh" about a sequel. Venom's a good character but think on his own, is more suited to a TV series than a blockbuster film. The film sanded off all the rough edges into this weird, tonally inconsistent feature that was a bit of a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

When your bad guy looks like this then you might be in trouble.

venom-woodyharrelson-carnage-700x356.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 84,817 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Andy Serkis is set to direct with Naomie Harris as Shriek, Carnage’s love interest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I look forward to it. Thought the first was excellent, had the right tone, the right amount of humour and I think Hardy nailed the performance insofar as going between not knowing what was going on and accepting it. Surprised me really, but I did go into it not expecting much. Must give it another watch again and update my comment if I'm not remembering correctly.

I wasn't a comic kid, so I probably don't have as good a memory of Carnage as others might, but I think Harrelson could pull it off. I'm looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

Did people love Venom, though? It was fairly panned, I thought the first while was pretty good but it turns into a mess in the 2nd half of the movie, it feels like different movies mashed together. I would say it belongs closer to the bottom of the pile of mainstream comic book movies. Watchable but not a good movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Homelander wrote: »
    Did people love Venom, though? It was fairly panned, I thought the first while was pretty good but it turns into a mess in the 2nd half of the movie, it feels like different movies mashed together. I would say it belongs closer to the bottom of the pile of mainstream comic book movies. Watchable but not a good movie.

It made $860 million at the box-office from a $100 million budget; that's a helluva return either way so while yup - it definitely didn't set the world alight - that's sequel money right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

I'm not talking about that though, more how it was received. Critics didn't like it, audiences thought it was OK.

Suicide Squad is similar, made good money which greenlit a sequel but it was slated by critics and audiences thought it was weak at best.

I'm not talking about that though, more how it was received. Critics didn't like it, audiences thought it was OK.

Suicide Squad is similar, made good money which greenlit a sequel but it was slated by critics and audiences thought it was weak at best.

No I get that, but TBH there's a point where the money made far outstrips the hazy reception. As you say, Suicide Squad had strips torn of it - but it also made an obscene amount of money.

My own reckoning is just that Sony are desperate: they've seen a few attempts to (re)launch franchises or hits over the last few years & come up short. Ghostbusters or Men in Black to name but two. Spider-Man isn't even their full property anymore. Venom was a big hit, they'll take what they can get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Can we at least all agree that "Venom: Let There Be Carnage" is a terrible ****ing title?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,273 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Due to open now on September 24th this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Think it could be all action symbiote fest and I'm all for it. Like how venom and Eddie are pretty much as is from the comics now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

very cool trailer, almost Deadpool-esque....

i'll be honest, i would wacth woody have a bath, he is that awesome...

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

Genuinely one of the worst trailers i've ever seen.

Almost as bad as James Gunn's suicide squad trailer.

I wish they hadn't shown Carnage in the trailer and held off till the film itself for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,817 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

very cool trailer, almost Deadpool-esque....

i'll be honest, i would wacth woody have a bath, he is that awesome...

Woody and Tom Hardy in a bath :P

I can't wait to get to the cinema again

I've just seen Tom Hardy's Audi car ad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'm basing this on very little, sure... but Woody looks to be enjoying himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Have been waiting to see this showdown since this new era of comic book films started in the early 00s, but I think they've waited years too long for this to be a big deal anymore. People will still go and see it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I haven't seen the first movie (just the trailers) but I get the impression that they've turned Venom into a bit of an anti-hero. Is that a route they took in the comics or is it more to do with the fact that Sony don't have Spider-Man anymore, so they are turning all the villains into heroes?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,909 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I haven't seen the first movie (just the trailers) but I get the impression that they've turned Venom into a bit of an anti-hero. Is that a route they took in the comics or is it more to do with the fact that Sony don't have Spider-Man anymore, so they are turning all the villains into heroes?

ya he turned into an anti-hero in the comics anyway I believe. Should watch the first one. enjoyable film !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Not a massive superhero film fan but look at them all to see if suitable for the kids, venom wasnt but is hands down my favourite superhero movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Have been waiting to see this showdown since this new era of comic book films started in the early 00s, but I think they've waited years too long for this to be a big deal anymore. People will still go and see it though

No he was always an anti-hero after the original storyline when we was the bad guy against Spider-Man. Takes him and Spiderman to beat Carnage though, so don't know how it will pan out without Spiderman.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That looks mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The best way to put it is that the movies just skipped straight to the part of the comics were Venom and Eddie move to San Francisco after Eddie realises he doesn't actually want to be a bad guy, but the presence of Spider-Man in New York just drives him mad. So the movies just kinda pretend Spider-Man isn't a thing, and Venom has no connection to him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I fail to see what they think pushing it back 2 weeks is going to achieve.

• Advertisement

So it wouldn't go head to head with Bond maybe.

Advertisement